Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

MEPHISTO SHOES

Posted by David A. on 6/19/02 at 11:41 (088007)

I don't own a Mephisto Store and I don't own stock in the company, so I have nothing to gain from sharing this. I have PF and had been taping the bottom of my foot - with great results. I had heard good reports from other PF sufferers about the Mephisto, but I was skeptical. Two weeks ago I was vacationing at the beach. Walking & playing in the water & sand was killing my foot and it was difficult to keep the tape on, so I decided to by a pair of Mephisto sandals. This is not an exageration: When I removed my tape and put on the sandals, within five minutes my pain was GONE. Sandals & sand aren't a good combination, so I'd take them off for my walks on the beach and my heel would start-up with the usual pain and would pretty soon have me limping. But everytime I put my sandals back on, the pain went away and stayed gone until I got stupid enough to walk the beach again. As long as I'm wearing them, I don't need the tape. They're not inexpensive and they might not work for everyone, but they made a believer out of me. .....David A.
P.S. I also tried on Birkenstocks, but they didn't come close to matching the comfort of the Mephisto ..... and the Mephisto is not as ugly as the Birks.

Re: MEPHISTO SHOES

john h on 6/19/02 at 11:51 (088010)

David: I looked at the sandals on the mesphito web site and they are good looking sandals. I particularly liked the two strap model. no prices listed but i bet they cost a bundle. http://www.mesphisto.com
will try on a pair of those babies if they are in town.

john h on 6/19/02 at 11:53 (088011)

the correct URL is http://www.mephisto.com

David A. on 6/19/02 at 14:36 (088018)

John, the one I bought is called 'The Shark'. The pair was $235, which I consider pretty pricey for any shoes - especially sandals, but putting an end to a hurting foot makes them worth every cent. Mephisto has other sandal styles that are between $100 - $150. I believe that the soles are all made the same; just the upper part is different. You shouldn't have too much trouble finding a Mephisto store - most medium sized cities and certainly larger cities will have at least one store. I've found that many Birkenstock stores also carry Mephisto. Good luck.

nancy s. on 6/19/02 at 16:26 (088034)

birks are not ugly
birks are not ugly
birks are not ugly

shoes need not be dainty to be attractive. in fact, dainty has looked strange to me for about most of my life.

we're all different. vive la difference, eh?

but:
birks are not ugly

respectfully,
nancy

john h on 6/19/02 at 16:51 (088037)

I tried on a pair of Sharks today David which were really comfortable and as you say they were $235. I did order a pair of their two strap model that looks a little like the Birk Airizona at $135. My problem with the Shark is with a shoe size 43 the top strap does not have enough adjustablilty to snug it against my shoe unless I have a pair of socks on.

john h on 6/19/02 at 16:54 (088038)

Nancy did you say Birks were not ugly? I agree! I must say i do not like that Dutch looking Birk which I think they call a clog. Maybe that is the shoe you had on at the 'rock beach'. the sandals look nice to me.

Re: Nancy

wendyn on 6/19/02 at 19:34 (088053)

Nancy...

You tell 'em!!

nancy s. on 6/20/02 at 05:34 (088086)

why thank you, wendy, i think i will:

birks are not ugly!

john, i had the bostons on in that pic. although they're more a clog style than a sandal style, they don't have the mass that the real clogs have. the uppers are soft and they don't look dutch, in my opinion -- i mean they don't turn up at the toes or have extra thick soles or anything. a rather formal friend we have who is very fussy about his clothing and footwear has referred admiringly to my bostons as my 'slipper shoes.'

but even if he never said that, i don't REALLY care what others think, because i love my birks. i have another pair of cooper tatamis on the way, along with another pair i picked out on the german site and i can't remember what they are. hope it's a pleasant surprise when they get here.

nancy

Suzanne D on 6/20/02 at 06:26 (088087)

Nancy, to borrow an old phrase: 'Beauty is in the eye of the beholder'! My husband told me that my Birks were the ugliest shoes he ever saw. I told him they were beautiful to me because they helped relieve the pain I felt in every step I took. Someone else referred to them as my 'Bible sandals', and I said that since they had to walk so much back then, I hope they helped their feet as much as these did mine! :-)

I am just sorry that Birks don't feel good on my feet anymore. I have said that in so many posts that I'm sure you all are tired of reading it! But it is a great disappointment to me that for some reason they don't feel right and seem to make my knees and legs hurt more when I wear them. I have Bostons and Arizonas which I wore a lot during the last school year. And they helped at the time; I know they did. The arch support helped my feet to heal. I also have a new pair I ordered on sale last winter from Birkenstock Express - perhaps Alice is the name - I can't remember. They are Tatamis with white straps. I thought I would be all set for summer, but they sit in my closet. I keep thinking something may change and I can wear them again. If not, I'll offer them to someone on this site who wears a 43. I have wondered if I wore a pair with a back strap, if my heel might be more stable, but I am afraid to spend that much money on them to find out I can't wear them in the long run. At least the shoes lead me to the blue Birk inserts which work well for me now in my SAS shoes.

Enough about me...Enjoy your Birks!

Suzanne :-)

Re: Birks Ugly? Okay Nancy

David A. on 6/20/02 at 08:35 (088097)

Nancy, I was mistaken; but now I stand corrected. Birks are not ugly, birks are not ugly, birks are not ugly. Thanks for clearing me up on this.
......... I'll pass the word. But surely you'll agree with me that Meg Ryan, Sandra Bullock, Michelle Pheifer and Elizabeth Hurley aren't as ugly as Tom Cruise, Mel Gibson, Richard Gere and Harrison Ford. ............. Can't argue with that can ya? ............. David A.

nancy s. on 6/20/02 at 08:55 (088102)

well, david, i think michelle pfeiffer MIGHT be as ugly as those guys, heh heh. i know you're not alone. suzanne's husband agrees with you on birks. and back in the seventies, when i first wore birks (i didn't have foot problems then -- i just liked them!), my boyfriend at the time couldn't stand them. he said i looked like a russian cossack. i took that as a high compliment. needless to say, that relationship didn't last (and it's a good thing on many levels, i might add -- if the social board ever gets dull, i'll tell the torrid story!).

my husband actually likes my birks, so i guess i'm lucky.

suzanne, you sound so disappointed -- i hope you can wear them again sometime!

nancy

john h on 6/20/02 at 09:34 (088111)

Nancy: I had a pair of Bostons that I only wore once as they hurt my toes. As you remember Texas Barb had big feet and wore the same size as I did and also liked the Boston so I mailed them off to Barb a couple of years ago. What ever happend to Barb? Any of you ever hear from her.

nancy s. on 6/20/02 at 09:56 (088116)

yes john, i remember you sending your bostons to barb, which was nice of you. i've asked a few people about barb, but i don't think anyone has heard from her. the last time i heard from her, which was last year sometime, she sounded like she wanted to accept life as it was and enjoy what she could. so maybe she's not thinking about feet anymore. i hope she's doing ok -- always liked her, and miss dr lewi too.
nancy

Nancy N on 6/20/02 at 10:39 (088121)

I haven't heard from Barb in ages--the last I heard, she was avoiding typing because her wrists were so painful. (The wrist problem was caused by her longtime use of crutches, and overuse from things like getting herself out of the bathtub, and typing exacerbated the problem). I hope she's doing well and that her feet and her wrists are improving. I miss her, too.

Shirley W on 6/20/02 at 20:42 (088174)

David, I am like you and was skeptical of the Mephistos, especially because of the price. But I had fairly good luck with my Dansko clog that I bought at the Walking Co., and so I trusted them on this one when I needed a summer sandal. I bought the Helen style ($100) and have had them for over a week now, and I just love them. They are VERY comfortable, and can't wait to put them on after work. I do like the look of most Birks. I don't own a pair of Birks yet, but I understand there is a particular 'breaking in' that needs to be done to make them comfortable.
But my husband prefers the Mephistos over the Birks. But of course he wants whatever is best for my feet, so I can get away with almost anything there! HA HA I am going to check out the web site though-- I hadn't thought of that. I am glad you found something that pleases you in looks and also is comfortable----- Happy feet to all

john h on 6/19/02 at 11:51 (088010)

David: I looked at the sandals on the mesphito web site and they are good looking sandals. I particularly liked the two strap model. no prices listed but i bet they cost a bundle. http://www.mesphisto.com
will try on a pair of those babies if they are in town.

john h on 6/19/02 at 11:53 (088011)

the correct URL is http://www.mephisto.com

David A. on 6/19/02 at 14:36 (088018)

John, the one I bought is called 'The Shark'. The pair was $235, which I consider pretty pricey for any shoes - especially sandals, but putting an end to a hurting foot makes them worth every cent. Mephisto has other sandal styles that are between $100 - $150. I believe that the soles are all made the same; just the upper part is different. You shouldn't have too much trouble finding a Mephisto store - most medium sized cities and certainly larger cities will have at least one store. I've found that many Birkenstock stores also carry Mephisto. Good luck.

nancy s. on 6/19/02 at 16:26 (088034)

birks are not ugly
birks are not ugly
birks are not ugly

shoes need not be dainty to be attractive. in fact, dainty has looked strange to me for about most of my life.

we're all different. vive la difference, eh?

but:
birks are not ugly

respectfully,
nancy

john h on 6/19/02 at 16:51 (088037)

I tried on a pair of Sharks today David which were really comfortable and as you say they were $235. I did order a pair of their two strap model that looks a little like the Birk Airizona at $135. My problem with the Shark is with a shoe size 43 the top strap does not have enough adjustablilty to snug it against my shoe unless I have a pair of socks on.

john h on 6/19/02 at 16:54 (088038)

Nancy did you say Birks were not ugly? I agree! I must say i do not like that Dutch looking Birk which I think they call a clog. Maybe that is the shoe you had on at the 'rock beach'. the sandals look nice to me.

Re: Nancy

wendyn on 6/19/02 at 19:34 (088053)

Nancy...

You tell 'em!!

nancy s. on 6/20/02 at 05:34 (088086)

why thank you, wendy, i think i will:

birks are not ugly!

john, i had the bostons on in that pic. although they're more a clog style than a sandal style, they don't have the mass that the real clogs have. the uppers are soft and they don't look dutch, in my opinion -- i mean they don't turn up at the toes or have extra thick soles or anything. a rather formal friend we have who is very fussy about his clothing and footwear has referred admiringly to my bostons as my 'slipper shoes.'

but even if he never said that, i don't REALLY care what others think, because i love my birks. i have another pair of cooper tatamis on the way, along with another pair i picked out on the german site and i can't remember what they are. hope it's a pleasant surprise when they get here.

nancy

Suzanne D on 6/20/02 at 06:26 (088087)

Nancy, to borrow an old phrase: 'Beauty is in the eye of the beholder'! My husband told me that my Birks were the ugliest shoes he ever saw. I told him they were beautiful to me because they helped relieve the pain I felt in every step I took. Someone else referred to them as my 'Bible sandals', and I said that since they had to walk so much back then, I hope they helped their feet as much as these did mine! :-)

I am just sorry that Birks don't feel good on my feet anymore. I have said that in so many posts that I'm sure you all are tired of reading it! But it is a great disappointment to me that for some reason they don't feel right and seem to make my knees and legs hurt more when I wear them. I have Bostons and Arizonas which I wore a lot during the last school year. And they helped at the time; I know they did. The arch support helped my feet to heal. I also have a new pair I ordered on sale last winter from Birkenstock Express - perhaps Alice is the name - I can't remember. They are Tatamis with white straps. I thought I would be all set for summer, but they sit in my closet. I keep thinking something may change and I can wear them again. If not, I'll offer them to someone on this site who wears a 43. I have wondered if I wore a pair with a back strap, if my heel might be more stable, but I am afraid to spend that much money on them to find out I can't wear them in the long run. At least the shoes lead me to the blue Birk inserts which work well for me now in my SAS shoes.

Enough about me...Enjoy your Birks!

Suzanne :-)

David A. on 6/20/02 at 08:35 (088097)

Nancy, I was mistaken; but now I stand corrected. Birks are not ugly, birks are not ugly, birks are not ugly. Thanks for clearing me up on this.
......... I'll pass the word. But surely you'll agree with me that Meg Ryan, Sandra Bullock, Michelle Pheifer and Elizabeth Hurley aren't as ugly as Tom Cruise, Mel Gibson, Richard Gere and Harrison Ford. ............. Can't argue with that can ya? ............. David A.

nancy s. on 6/20/02 at 08:55 (088102)

well, david, i think michelle pfeiffer MIGHT be as ugly as those guys, heh heh. i know you're not alone. suzanne's husband agrees with you on birks. and back in the seventies, when i first wore birks (i didn't have foot problems then -- i just liked them!), my boyfriend at the time couldn't stand them. he said i looked like a russian cossack. i took that as a high compliment. needless to say, that relationship didn't last (and it's a good thing on many levels, i might add -- if the social board ever gets dull, i'll tell the torrid story!).

my husband actually likes my birks, so i guess i'm lucky.

suzanne, you sound so disappointed -- i hope you can wear them again sometime!

nancy

john h on 6/20/02 at 09:34 (088111)

Nancy: I had a pair of Bostons that I only wore once as they hurt my toes. As you remember Texas Barb had big feet and wore the same size as I did and also liked the Boston so I mailed them off to Barb a couple of years ago. What ever happend to Barb? Any of you ever hear from her.

nancy s. on 6/20/02 at 09:56 (088116)

yes john, i remember you sending your bostons to barb, which was nice of you. i've asked a few people about barb, but i don't think anyone has heard from her. the last time i heard from her, which was last year sometime, she sounded like she wanted to accept life as it was and enjoy what she could. so maybe she's not thinking about feet anymore. i hope she's doing ok -- always liked her, and miss dr lewi too.
nancy

Nancy N on 6/20/02 at 10:39 (088121)

I haven't heard from Barb in ages--the last I heard, she was avoiding typing because her wrists were so painful. (The wrist problem was caused by her longtime use of crutches, and overuse from things like getting herself out of the bathtub, and typing exacerbated the problem). I hope she's doing well and that her feet and her wrists are improving. I miss her, too.

Shirley W on 6/20/02 at 20:42 (088174)

David, I am like you and was skeptical of the Mephistos, especially because of the price. But I had fairly good luck with my Dansko clog that I bought at the Walking Co., and so I trusted them on this one when I needed a summer sandal. I bought the Helen style ($100) and have had them for over a week now, and I just love them. They are VERY comfortable, and can't wait to put them on after work. I do like the look of most Birks. I don't own a pair of Birks yet, but I understand there is a particular 'breaking in' that needs to be done to make them comfortable.
But my husband prefers the Mephistos over the Birks. But of course he wants whatever is best for my feet, so I can get away with almost anything there! HA HA I am going to check out the web site though-- I hadn't thought of that. I am glad you found something that pleases you in looks and also is comfortable----- Happy feet to all