Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

morton's neuroma

Posted by cheryl on 6/19/02 at 11:42 (088008)

Hi. I have had two surgeries for this condition (morton's neuroma) and for two years I have done well. Now all the sudden the symptoms came back and the doctor says I have a marble size tumor again on the same foot. Is it possible that they grow back and if so will I have to have surgery again? I have had all the shot treatments and orthodic equipment and physical therapy before and none helped me. Is it bad to have three surgeries on one foot? The pain gets unbearable some days, I cant just deal with it. I have two jobs that both require standing all day long so I am sure that does not help the cause, but I can't give either job up.
I would just like advise if you think a third surgery will come and if it does, is it the right thing to do. Thanks

Re: morton's neuroma

Ed Davis., DPM on 6/19/02 at 15:52 (088026)

It is possible for the growth to recur. If it does, the best treatment would be surgical treatment with a variation in technique. This is rare but if the neuroma regrows I would enter the foot from the bottom (plantar) the second time, removing the neuroma but tracing the nerve back proximally (towards the heel) resecting it back far enough to make the chance of regrowth minimal.
Ed

Dr. David S. Wander on 6/19/02 at 18:51 (088048)

I agree with Dr. Davis, however it should be determined whether there is regrowth of the nerve or simply abundant scar tissue. An MRI with contrast or diagnostic ultrasound may help your doctor with a more accurate diagnosis.

Ed Davis., DPM on 6/19/02 at 15:52 (088026)

It is possible for the growth to recur. If it does, the best treatment would be surgical treatment with a variation in technique. This is rare but if the neuroma regrows I would enter the foot from the bottom (plantar) the second time, removing the neuroma but tracing the nerve back proximally (towards the heel) resecting it back far enough to make the chance of regrowth minimal.
Ed

Dr. David S. Wander on 6/19/02 at 18:51 (088048)

I agree with Dr. Davis, however it should be determined whether there is regrowth of the nerve or simply abundant scar tissue. An MRI with contrast or diagnostic ultrasound may help your doctor with a more accurate diagnosis.