Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

plantar fascia and metatarsal pain

Posted by Josh T on 6/19/02 at 14:11 (088017)

I have had plantar fasciitis in the past, but am now experiencing pain at the ball of my foot where (I believe) the plantar fascia connects to the metatarsal bones. In particular, the 'pad' behind my left big toe has become incredibly tender and a bit inflamed. The pain and tenderness extends about 1' toward the arch of my foot along the plantar fascia, and then goes away. Would this still be considered plantar fasciitis, and if so, what remedies would you recommend?

Thank you in advance for your help and comments.

Re: plantar fascia and metatarsal pain

Dr. John Cozzarelli on 6/19/02 at 19:49 (088054)

Hi Josh:

Yes you are describing plantar fasciitis. I would passively stretch the band with a night splint.

Dr. John Cozzarelli

Josh T on 6/19/02 at 21:15 (088066)

Dr. C,
Thanks for your help.
BTW: I do plan on seeing a Podiatrist this week for good measure. How would would I be sure that this symptom is not sesamoiditis? What are the key differences? Can one symptom lead to the other?

Dr. John Cozzarelli on 6/20/02 at 05:28 (088084)

Sesamoiditis will have pain directy under the big toe. On diret palpation pan will be present. Your foot wil hurt more with thin sole shoes.

Dr. John Cozzarelli

Dr. John Cozzarelli on 6/19/02 at 19:49 (088054)

Hi Josh:

Yes you are describing plantar fasciitis. I would passively stretch the band with a night splint.

Dr. John Cozzarelli

Josh T on 6/19/02 at 21:15 (088066)

Dr. C,
Thanks for your help.
BTW: I do plan on seeing a Podiatrist this week for good measure. How would would I be sure that this symptom is not sesamoiditis? What are the key differences? Can one symptom lead to the other?

Dr. John Cozzarelli on 6/20/02 at 05:28 (088084)

Sesamoiditis will have pain directy under the big toe. On diret palpation pan will be present. Your foot wil hurt more with thin sole shoes.

Dr. John Cozzarelli