Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Question for Dr. Z - H Wave or ESWT

Posted by Ronnie C on 6/19/02 at 15:58 (088030)

Hi Dr. Z:
I am scheduled for ESWT next Wednesday and am very excited! However, a friend of mine told me to try H Wave treatment first? Are you familiar with this? I looked it up on the internet and it appears to do the same thing as ESWT but in a much lower dose and you, the patient, have to use it multiple times.
Any thoughts?

Re: Question for Dr. Z - H Wave or ESWT

Ed Davis., DPM on 6/19/02 at 18:41 (088043)

The H-wave is an electrotherapy device while ESWT uses shock waves. Very different.
Ed

Dr. Zuckerman on 6/19/02 at 21:15 (088067)

Hi

ESWT is completely different. ESWT uses shockwave treatment to microtrauma the damaged tissue. H-wave blocks pain reception. ESWT is a curative procedure.

Ronnie C on 6/20/02 at 12:29 (088136)

Thanks for your quick reply. I am looking forward to being heel pain free.

Ronnie C on 6/20/02 at 12:31 (088137)

Thank you for your reply. Quick question: Is it possible to have heel pain from your orthotics as well? I think my orthotics for my shoes are too hard and not helping my condition at all. I'll also discuss this with my orthopedic surgeon when I see her next week for my surgery.

john h on 6/21/02 at 09:41 (088199)

Ronnie you bet the wrong orthotics can make your feet worse. Getting a properly fitted orthotic (if you need one) is one of the more important decisions you will make. There are three types to start with rigid,semi-rigid, and soft. Each Doctor seems to have his own preference. Some people on the board very much dislike the hard orthotic. Some have given up on them all together and some swear by them. You need a doctor who understands the bio-mechanics of walking and who will take the time to observe you walking and know that you do indeed need orthotics. My first pair I walked into the office and within 5 minutes the doctor was casting my foot without ever watching me take a step. $300 and my feet were worse. I do wear orthotics on occasion but do better with a birk as it is basically an orthotic footbed. The shoes will be nearly as important as the orthotic.

Ronnie C on 6/21/02 at 16:30 (088229)

Thanks! I ordered birk sandals via internet and will see how it feel before ordering more shoes.

Ed Davis., DPM on 6/19/02 at 18:41 (088043)

The H-wave is an electrotherapy device while ESWT uses shock waves. Very different.
Ed

Dr. Zuckerman on 6/19/02 at 21:15 (088067)

Hi

ESWT is completely different. ESWT uses shockwave treatment to microtrauma the damaged tissue. H-wave blocks pain reception. ESWT is a curative procedure.

Ronnie C on 6/20/02 at 12:29 (088136)

Thanks for your quick reply. I am looking forward to being heel pain free.

Ronnie C on 6/20/02 at 12:31 (088137)

Thank you for your reply. Quick question: Is it possible to have heel pain from your orthotics as well? I think my orthotics for my shoes are too hard and not helping my condition at all. I'll also discuss this with my orthopedic surgeon when I see her next week for my surgery.

john h on 6/21/02 at 09:41 (088199)

Ronnie you bet the wrong orthotics can make your feet worse. Getting a properly fitted orthotic (if you need one) is one of the more important decisions you will make. There are three types to start with rigid,semi-rigid, and soft. Each Doctor seems to have his own preference. Some people on the board very much dislike the hard orthotic. Some have given up on them all together and some swear by them. You need a doctor who understands the bio-mechanics of walking and who will take the time to observe you walking and know that you do indeed need orthotics. My first pair I walked into the office and within 5 minutes the doctor was casting my foot without ever watching me take a step. $300 and my feet were worse. I do wear orthotics on occasion but do better with a birk as it is basically an orthotic footbed. The shoes will be nearly as important as the orthotic.

Ronnie C on 6/21/02 at 16:30 (088229)

Thanks! I ordered birk sandals via internet and will see how it feel before ordering more shoes.