Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

My son has heel pain

Posted by Carmel M on 6/19/02 at 19:28 (088051)

My 8 1/2 year old son recently started having heel pain. After doing some research it looks to me like it could be Sever's Disease. His pain is on the back/bottom of his left heel and he's had the pain for at least two weeks now. I bought him a new pair of good shoes with more support than his old pair and instructed him to wear them all the time, no barefoot and no sandals (not enough support).

My question is, is it time to see the Podiatrist? What is normally done for a child with this pain?

Thanks for your help.
Carmel

Re: My son has heel pain

Dr. John Cozzarelli on 6/19/02 at 19:51 (088056)

Hi Carmel:

It sounds like the right diagnosis. I would suggest seeing a podiatrist. Does he play basket ball or jumping sports? I would get a soft heel cup or orthotics with a deep heel cup. Pediatric Avil is fine for the discomfort.

Dr. John Cozzarelli

Carmel M on 6/19/02 at 20:55 (088061)

Thanks for the quick response! Yes, he does play sports (currently baseball and soccer later this summer) and when not 'playing' on the field, he is very active off the field.

When you say 'orthotics with a deep heel cup' are you referring to custom or over the counter orthotics?

Thanks again.
Carmel

Dr. John Cozzarelli on 6/20/02 at 05:24 (088082)

You can try an OTC device if no relief get a custom made device for him. Bestof luck.

Dr. John Cozarelli

Dr. John Cozzarelli on 6/19/02 at 19:51 (088056)

Hi Carmel:

It sounds like the right diagnosis. I would suggest seeing a podiatrist. Does he play basket ball or jumping sports? I would get a soft heel cup or orthotics with a deep heel cup. Pediatric Avil is fine for the discomfort.

Dr. John Cozzarelli

Carmel M on 6/19/02 at 20:55 (088061)

Thanks for the quick response! Yes, he does play sports (currently baseball and soccer later this summer) and when not 'playing' on the field, he is very active off the field.

When you say 'orthotics with a deep heel cup' are you referring to custom or over the counter orthotics?

Thanks again.
Carmel

Dr. John Cozzarelli on 6/20/02 at 05:24 (088082)

You can try an OTC device if no relief get a custom made device for him. Bestof luck.

Dr. John Cozarelli