Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Z-coil shoes--anyone ever heard of them?

Posted by Ellen J. on 6/20/02 at 09:54 (088115)

Hi,
My mother happened to be visitng a relative in a hospital in North Carolina and noticed a couple of the nurses wearing very interesting looking shoes that had a spring under the heel. Apparently the nurses had foot problems and the springs eased the impact on the heel. My mother asked about the shoes and the nurses gave her a brochure which she sent to me. I must say they certainly are interesting looking! I know I cannot wear them because the foot bed is too arched for me. They look like athletic shoes with a spring under the heel. If anyone has ever heard of them or tried them I would be interested to hear. They are out of New Mexico, apparently, and their number is: 1-800-268-6239
They also have a website that I have not checked out yet, and it is: http://www.zcoil.com
Anyway, if anyone wants to check it out I am curious. Since my feet are improving I'm not buying any new shoes because I don't want to mess up my progress but there's the info for those who are interested.
Ellen J.

Re: Z-coil shoes--anyone ever heard of them?

john h on 6/20/02 at 10:37 (088120)

We covered Z-coil shoes a year or so ago Ellen. Do a search. I cannot remember what the consensus was.

nancy s. on 6/20/02 at 16:08 (088149)

ellen and john, i think people here took a look at them on the website (myself included) and made a lot of jokes. they ARE funny looking, but if health care workers are wearing them, maybe they should be reconsidered?

the main serious question, as i recall, had to do with their stability (or possible instability).

nancy

Ellen J. on 6/20/02 at 20:13 (088171)

My main concern was the extreme-lookng angle of the footbed, which looks like it puts the bodyweight down onto the toes, the way a high-heeled shoe would do. Yes, I guess the stability thing would be important too. They sure are different looking!
Ellen

paula on 6/20/02 at 20:50 (088175)

i ordered them. didn't work for me. my healthy footed freind liked them and boing boinged up and down the hall in them. i sent them back they returned my money. they were very nice.

john h on 6/21/02 at 09:07 (088192)

Nancy I would wear horse shoes if they would help. I did buy a pair of the Dutch looking Bostons with every intention of wearing them but because of a big toe problem they were uncomfortable. I suspect in Maine they are high fashion. Here in Arkansas I would get more funny looks than if I word horse shoes or went bare footed.

john h on 6/21/02 at 09:16 (088194)

I have seen some of the teens in the gym with zcoil trying to dunk a basketball. boing boing!!!!! When I was in high school there was a time when the guys were wearing a tux to formals with bermuda shorts. They were actually made that way. I could never bring myself to wear this outfit even though I had great legs. Every generation seems to come up with some new fashions. When I had lots of hair crew cuts were what all the guys wore. When I did not have lots of hair long hair was in. Thank goodness for Kojak and Yuel(?) Brenner.

Ed Davis, DPM on 6/21/02 at 18:13 (088238)

Definitely an interesting concept. Should be great for shock absorbtion and the raised heel should decrease plantar fascial and achilles tension.
My concern would be medial/lateral stability. I would also be a bit concerned about the possibility of ankle sprains with this design.
I ordered a pair for myself to test -- could not resist.
Ed

Re: For Dr. Ed

Sharon W on 6/21/02 at 22:20 (088266)

Dr. Ed,

I hope you'll give us all a follow-up report about what you think of them, once you have a chance to check them out!

-- Sharon

Ed Davis, DPM on 6/22/02 at 11:57 (088291)

Sharon:
Thanks-- I definitely will.
Ed

CatherineL on 6/24/02 at 16:13 (088383)

I remember this topic from last year. They do look quite 'different'.

So....

Dr. Ed, glad you've agreed to be the guinea-pig.

A follow-up on these would be great. A picture wearing them to accompany the follow-up would be even better!

Catherine

Ed Davis on 7/12/02 at 15:26 (089569)

I recieved my Z-coil shoes last week. They worked very well going up and down hills in my neighborhood. A little concerned about ankle sprains due to their heel height. I would avoid wearing them constantly but believe they are a good shoe to wear intermittently, particularly for runners with PF.
Ed

Sharon W on 7/12/02 at 21:15 (089585)

Dr. Ed,

Thanks for the update. Would you say that they have reasonable arch support and stability? Do you think that they might be a reasonable purchase for someone who does a lot of walking but is NOT a runner?

(I am thinking of my daughter here, not myself.)

-- Sharon

john h on 6/20/02 at 10:37 (088120)

We covered Z-coil shoes a year or so ago Ellen. Do a search. I cannot remember what the consensus was.

nancy s. on 6/20/02 at 16:08 (088149)

ellen and john, i think people here took a look at them on the website (myself included) and made a lot of jokes. they ARE funny looking, but if health care workers are wearing them, maybe they should be reconsidered?

the main serious question, as i recall, had to do with their stability (or possible instability).

nancy

Ellen J. on 6/20/02 at 20:13 (088171)

My main concern was the extreme-lookng angle of the footbed, which looks like it puts the bodyweight down onto the toes, the way a high-heeled shoe would do. Yes, I guess the stability thing would be important too. They sure are different looking!
Ellen

paula on 6/20/02 at 20:50 (088175)

i ordered them. didn't work for me. my healthy footed freind liked them and boing boinged up and down the hall in them. i sent them back they returned my money. they were very nice.

john h on 6/21/02 at 09:07 (088192)

Nancy I would wear horse shoes if they would help. I did buy a pair of the Dutch looking Bostons with every intention of wearing them but because of a big toe problem they were uncomfortable. I suspect in Maine they are high fashion. Here in Arkansas I would get more funny looks than if I word horse shoes or went bare footed.

john h on 6/21/02 at 09:16 (088194)

I have seen some of the teens in the gym with zcoil trying to dunk a basketball. boing boing!!!!! When I was in high school there was a time when the guys were wearing a tux to formals with bermuda shorts. They were actually made that way. I could never bring myself to wear this outfit even though I had great legs. Every generation seems to come up with some new fashions. When I had lots of hair crew cuts were what all the guys wore. When I did not have lots of hair long hair was in. Thank goodness for Kojak and Yuel(?) Brenner.

Ed Davis, DPM on 6/21/02 at 18:13 (088238)

Definitely an interesting concept. Should be great for shock absorbtion and the raised heel should decrease plantar fascial and achilles tension.
My concern would be medial/lateral stability. I would also be a bit concerned about the possibility of ankle sprains with this design.
I ordered a pair for myself to test -- could not resist.
Ed

Sharon W on 6/21/02 at 22:20 (088266)

Dr. Ed,

I hope you'll give us all a follow-up report about what you think of them, once you have a chance to check them out!

-- Sharon

Ed Davis, DPM on 6/22/02 at 11:57 (088291)

Sharon:
Thanks-- I definitely will.
Ed

CatherineL on 6/24/02 at 16:13 (088383)

I remember this topic from last year. They do look quite 'different'.

So....

Dr. Ed, glad you've agreed to be the guinea-pig.

A follow-up on these would be great. A picture wearing them to accompany the follow-up would be even better!

Catherine

Ed Davis on 7/12/02 at 15:26 (089569)

I recieved my Z-coil shoes last week. They worked very well going up and down hills in my neighborhood. A little concerned about ankle sprains due to their heel height. I would avoid wearing them constantly but believe they are a good shoe to wear intermittently, particularly for runners with PF.
Ed

Sharon W on 7/12/02 at 21:15 (089585)

Dr. Ed,

Thanks for the update. Would you say that they have reasonable arch support and stability? Do you think that they might be a reasonable purchase for someone who does a lot of walking but is NOT a runner?

(I am thinking of my daughter here, not myself.)

-- Sharon