Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Thanks for the opinions on neurontin!!

Posted by Carol D. on 6/20/02 at 15:54 (088146)

Thanks to all of you for who provided information about your experiences with neurontin. I am a newcomer to this unlucky world of TTS and it is os helpful to know that others are struggling with this too. So far, I have been on the meds 3 days and I have had relief of the burning sensations and no side effects, so far (exception being some dizziness after the first pill). Thanks again

Re: Thanks for the opinions on neurontin!! -- a few more questions

nancy s. on 6/21/02 at 06:47 (088188)

carol and others, do you know if neurontin is also used for pain other than nerve pain? (for example, my frozen shoulder pain.)

i've also read that it helps with depression and anxiety.

since i'm on medication for all the above, i'm wondering if neurontin could possibly cover all three and i could stop juggling more than one med. naturally, i'd go to my doc about this possibility, but just want to check and learn what i can before i waste an appointment if this isn't a sensible idea.

carol, i hope you have great success with neurontin for your tts.

thanks,
nancy

KathyB on 6/21/02 at 12:57 (088221)

Neurontin only helps with depression and anxiety in the way that you tend to be depressed when you are in pain. It is an anti-seizure medicine for epilepsy and is not really a pain medication at all. There just happens to be a cross in that seizures and nerves have a common bond. There is a new drug that they put me on called Topamax that is also helping me. I am on Neurotin, Topamax and Prednisone for my TTS to get the pain under control and Tradazone and Celexa for the chronic depression that the pain of the last 12 years has caused. For me it is one step at a time. Good Luck and good health.

nancy s. on 6/21/02 at 16:48 (088232)

thank you very much, kathy. your info is helpful. somehow i'd missed that you've suffered that long. i'm so sorry, and i wish you relief soon. i do know the depression that chronic pain brings; went through a very bad bout myself. best of luck to you from nancy

KathyB on 6/21/02 at 18:30 (088241)

Thank you. It has been a struggle and the time has been harder on my husband than it has been on me sometimes. He does not believe in planning ahead and I know what I am in store for. I don't think he wants to face another major surgery on my right ankle. I know that I am going to have the entire nerve area test to make sure they know exactly where all of the problems are. It will take me a while to decide on the surgery, I want to reserach it more and I want extentive testing (even though it is very painful) to make sure I only go through it once. I am lucky, I have a very good doctor that I trust completly. I have takling to a therapist ever since my almost breakdown right after my recovery from my ruptured tendon in my left ankle. I stay with her because I am still finding it difficult time adjusting to all of the different changes and medical problems I have had. Thank you for you kind words. I wish the best for you. Make sure you get that shoulder taken care of.

nancy s. on 6/21/02 at 06:47 (088188)

carol and others, do you know if neurontin is also used for pain other than nerve pain? (for example, my frozen shoulder pain.)

i've also read that it helps with depression and anxiety.

since i'm on medication for all the above, i'm wondering if neurontin could possibly cover all three and i could stop juggling more than one med. naturally, i'd go to my doc about this possibility, but just want to check and learn what i can before i waste an appointment if this isn't a sensible idea.

carol, i hope you have great success with neurontin for your tts.

thanks,
nancy

KathyB on 6/21/02 at 12:57 (088221)

Neurontin only helps with depression and anxiety in the way that you tend to be depressed when you are in pain. It is an anti-seizure medicine for epilepsy and is not really a pain medication at all. There just happens to be a cross in that seizures and nerves have a common bond. There is a new drug that they put me on called Topamax that is also helping me. I am on Neurotin, Topamax and Prednisone for my TTS to get the pain under control and Tradazone and Celexa for the chronic depression that the pain of the last 12 years has caused. For me it is one step at a time. Good Luck and good health.

nancy s. on 6/21/02 at 16:48 (088232)

thank you very much, kathy. your info is helpful. somehow i'd missed that you've suffered that long. i'm so sorry, and i wish you relief soon. i do know the depression that chronic pain brings; went through a very bad bout myself. best of luck to you from nancy

KathyB on 6/21/02 at 18:30 (088241)

Thank you. It has been a struggle and the time has been harder on my husband than it has been on me sometimes. He does not believe in planning ahead and I know what I am in store for. I don't think he wants to face another major surgery on my right ankle. I know that I am going to have the entire nerve area test to make sure they know exactly where all of the problems are. It will take me a while to decide on the surgery, I want to reserach it more and I want extentive testing (even though it is very painful) to make sure I only go through it once. I am lucky, I have a very good doctor that I trust completly. I have takling to a therapist ever since my almost breakdown right after my recovery from my ruptured tendon in my left ankle. I stay with her because I am still finding it difficult time adjusting to all of the different changes and medical problems I have had. Thank you for you kind words. I wish the best for you. Make sure you get that shoulder taken care of.