Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Age factor

Posted by J. King on 6/20/02 at 16:23 (088155)

How does age affect the prognosis of surgery for patients? I am 52 and have had foot problems for years.

Re: Age factor

Missy B on 6/20/02 at 20:12 (088170)

As long as a person is in reasonably good health, I don't think that age is necessarily a factor. My pod told me that many of the patients he is currently treating or performing surgery on are of middle age and have spent much of their life in jobs that required them to stand or walk on hard surfaces such as concrete or asphalt. I am 54 and had suffered with progressively worsening heel pain and burning for six years. I tried most of the non-invasive treatments which sooner or later all failed to give me adequate relief. My pod finally sent me for a nerve conduction test which showed that I was also suffering from tarsal tunnel nerve entrapment in addition to PF. I opted for surgery which was performed last January and today I feel that I am about 85% improved over my pre-surgery condition and pain. I have returned to a semi-active life style, but at the same time, I have decided to be very conservative for the rest of the year and make sure my foot gets plenty of rest and TLC in the hopes I will be pain-free by Christmas. My doctor has told me it can take up to a year for complete healing and other patients have also said the same thing.
I think the bottom line is an individual's overall health and finding a good doctor. If considering surgery, one should be well informed as to the risks involved before deciding if this is the right step for them. And if you opt for surgery, find the best doctor you can who is up-to-date on his skills for the type of surgery you need and make sure you can communicate with him/her.

john h on 6/21/02 at 09:58 (088203)

As with most any disease the younger you are the better your chance for a recovery. Lots of people in their 50's here with PF who have it under control or are improving. By the way they all consider themselves young.

john h on 6/21/02 at 10:01 (088205)

I believe I saw where a man just set a record by ascending and sumitting Mt. Everest at the age of 71.

Pauline on 6/22/02 at 19:32 (088317)

John,
That means you and I still have time to set a new record.

Joe S on 7/06/02 at 17:21 (089222)

Age is not a contradindication to surgery. Your general medical health determines how much of a surgical risk you are. Are you diabetic, do you smoke, do you have any bleeding disorders.... Etc.. I operated on a 80 year old this past week and she did just fine.

Missy B on 6/20/02 at 20:12 (088170)

As long as a person is in reasonably good health, I don't think that age is necessarily a factor. My pod told me that many of the patients he is currently treating or performing surgery on are of middle age and have spent much of their life in jobs that required them to stand or walk on hard surfaces such as concrete or asphalt. I am 54 and had suffered with progressively worsening heel pain and burning for six years. I tried most of the non-invasive treatments which sooner or later all failed to give me adequate relief. My pod finally sent me for a nerve conduction test which showed that I was also suffering from tarsal tunnel nerve entrapment in addition to PF. I opted for surgery which was performed last January and today I feel that I am about 85% improved over my pre-surgery condition and pain. I have returned to a semi-active life style, but at the same time, I have decided to be very conservative for the rest of the year and make sure my foot gets plenty of rest and TLC in the hopes I will be pain-free by Christmas. My doctor has told me it can take up to a year for complete healing and other patients have also said the same thing.
I think the bottom line is an individual's overall health and finding a good doctor. If considering surgery, one should be well informed as to the risks involved before deciding if this is the right step for them. And if you opt for surgery, find the best doctor you can who is up-to-date on his skills for the type of surgery you need and make sure you can communicate with him/her.

john h on 6/21/02 at 09:58 (088203)

As with most any disease the younger you are the better your chance for a recovery. Lots of people in their 50's here with PF who have it under control or are improving. By the way they all consider themselves young.

john h on 6/21/02 at 10:01 (088205)

I believe I saw where a man just set a record by ascending and sumitting Mt. Everest at the age of 71.

Pauline on 6/22/02 at 19:32 (088317)

John,
That means you and I still have time to set a new record.

Joe S on 7/06/02 at 17:21 (089222)

Age is not a contradindication to surgery. Your general medical health determines how much of a surgical risk you are. Are you diabetic, do you smoke, do you have any bleeding disorders.... Etc.. I operated on a 80 year old this past week and she did just fine.