Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

7 weeks Post OP TTS PF

Posted by Kevin I on 6/20/02 at 19:52 (088167)

All,
Everything going pretty well. Surgery on 5/1. I cut the grass and trimmed everything including bushes today for the first time since surgeery. My wife is very happy that I'm getting around. She's been doing all the chores. The hardest thing I did yet was yesterday. My kids got to walk around Busch Stadium w/ their little leauge teams before a Cardinals game. We parked about half mile away from stadium, then had to stand for about half hour while their teams assembled, then had to truck up to the nosebleed seats. I finally got to my seat Whew!! that piece of hard plastic felt so good. Five minutes later standing for the anthem, I know that song isn't as long as it seemed. I sat on my butt and enjoyed the whole game while shelling out money to my kids for soda and hot dog delivery. Boy did the couch and ice pack feel good when we got home. Was a little worried if I over did it, but felt really good today when I started working in the yard, when I finished it was back to couch though. For those at the 1-5 week mark it does get better (for the majority) I feel so good mentally as my foot is on the road to recovery (albeit a long way to go). Believe me I know it's depressing w/ all the anticipation and nothing to do but sit around wondering what your outcome will be. I do have one complication/concern that I will tell my Pod on monday next visit. When I first get up in the morning my whole foot is very stiff and painful to put weight on. I walk for the first few minutes w/ partial weight on crutches until things loosen up then I'm fine. This is not the same morning pain on the heel pre-surgery. I believe I know Pod's response is going to be 'It's normal for your stage' butn I'm surely going to describe to him anyway. Any one else out there experience the same in the 5-7 week timeframe? How long did it last before you could put immediate weight on after resting?

Kevin

Re: 7 weeks Post OP TTS PF

Missy B on 6/20/02 at 20:33 (088173)

Hi Kevin,
You sound as if you are progressing very well - Hurray for you! I was no longer using crutches or a walker by seven weeks, but yes, my foot would be stiff and sore when I would get up in the morning or off the sofa after watching a movie, etc. I started physical therapy at 8 weeks post op and the exercises they gave me to do at home really helped to loosen my foot muscles up, especially in the morning. I would do them lying on the bed before I got up. I am 22 weeks post op now, and my foot still gets a little stiff and sore sometimes ( but you are right, it is not the same pain as before the surgery - it is more of an ache than a pain). I try to remember to do my stretches and circles with my foot before I get up after being off it for awhile, and this really helps reduce any soreness with the first few steps. I also don't go barefoot anymore - I keep a pair of Birk sandals by my bed, so that my foot goes into a shoe first thing - this has also helped.
I wish you continued good luck with your recovery. Keep us posted.
Missy B.

Re: 7 weeks Post OP TTS PF

Missy B on 6/20/02 at 20:33 (088173)

Hi Kevin,
You sound as if you are progressing very well - Hurray for you! I was no longer using crutches or a walker by seven weeks, but yes, my foot would be stiff and sore when I would get up in the morning or off the sofa after watching a movie, etc. I started physical therapy at 8 weeks post op and the exercises they gave me to do at home really helped to loosen my foot muscles up, especially in the morning. I would do them lying on the bed before I got up. I am 22 weeks post op now, and my foot still gets a little stiff and sore sometimes ( but you are right, it is not the same pain as before the surgery - it is more of an ache than a pain). I try to remember to do my stretches and circles with my foot before I get up after being off it for awhile, and this really helps reduce any soreness with the first few steps. I also don't go barefoot anymore - I keep a pair of Birk sandals by my bed, so that my foot goes into a shoe first thing - this has also helped.
I wish you continued good luck with your recovery. Keep us posted.
Missy B.