Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

what does a neurologist do?

Posted by EKC on 6/21/02 at 09:58 (088204)

Long story short, I have to go back to the neuro 'for more tests'.
I definitely have TTS/PF and have had 2 surgeries which did not help.
Question(s): What will the neuro test for? Can they cure anything
that is nerve related? Is it safe to be on drugs (nortryptiline) for the
rest of my life? How common is it for a person to end up in a wheelchair
becuase of nerve-associated foot pain (I am not exaggerating).
Finally, any ideas on how to exercise my calves and quads; My legs
are getting weaker from lack of exercise.

Re: what does a neurologist do?

Pauline on 6/21/02 at 23:49 (088276)

In my opinion, a good Neuorlogist is probably one of the best medical diagnosticians. His job is to diagnosis problems relating to the total nervous system of the body head to toe. Signals are constantly being sent by your brain to various parts of the body and returned via your nervous system. If any don't get through you have problems. The same is true if too many get through or the 'wires' get tangled. By examination, questioning, history and testing he will hopefully be able to provide additional answers for you about the cause of your pain.

Best of luck.

Re: what does a neurologist do?

Pauline on 6/21/02 at 23:49 (088276)

In my opinion, a good Neuorlogist is probably one of the best medical diagnosticians. His job is to diagnosis problems relating to the total nervous system of the body head to toe. Signals are constantly being sent by your brain to various parts of the body and returned via your nervous system. If any don't get through you have problems. The same is true if too many get through or the 'wires' get tangled. By examination, questioning, history and testing he will hopefully be able to provide additional answers for you about the cause of your pain.

Best of luck.