Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Brian G., John H., J. King, other Vets: a story for you...

Posted by Suzanne D on 6/21/02 at 10:57 (088208)

This week a 72 year old friend and member of our small community was re-issued 5 medals he was awarded during the Korean War. While running through a forest at one point, his field pack was caught on a communications wire, and he had to resort to cutting the straps of his pack and leaving it. In it were 5 medals - including the Purple Heart and the Bronze Star - which he had not had a chance to send home at the time. That was 52 years ago.

After the Gulf War, he decided to write to ask if he might have the medals re-issued. Unfortunately, a fire had destroyed some past records, and his were among them, so he was told it would be impossible. He gave up on the subject at that point.

But his brother decided not to let the issue die. He enlisted the aid of one of Kentucky's senators, and this week my friend received the medals in the mail. He cried.

Our local newspaper did a front-page picture and story about it. My friend said he did not consider himself a hero. His two best buddies who did not return with him from Korea were the heroes.

I thought you all might appreciate reading about this. Here I was writing yesterday about the charms on my bracelets and what they mean to me. I cannot imagine what those medals mean to him.

Suzanne :-)

Re: Brian G., John H., J. King, other Vets: a story for you...

J. King on 6/21/02 at 19:07 (088249)

Suzanne

One of my old friends from Vietnam just got in touch with me after 32 years. I could not believe it. He found my email address and name on a web site dedicated to the First Aviation Brigade that was our unit in Vietnam. It was like no time had passed. It is the friends we left behind that count.

Suzanne D on 6/21/02 at 22:10 (088265)

How nice to hear from an old friend! There is such a closeness that forms between people who go through something hard together. I would not pretend to understand the feelings of you who fought side by side, but I would imagine it would form the closest of bonds.

I hope the internet allows many more such reunions.

john h on 6/22/02 at 08:59 (088282)

j king: this week two of my buddies and fellow crewmembers from Vietnam (1969) were burried at Arlington. There remains were recently recovered from a crash site in Laos where they were shot down. There was a helicopter flyover of vintage Vietnam helicopters. 32 years but they are home now. I am still very much in touch with all the guys from my unit and we have reunions on a regular basis. A number of them went into the Forest Service in Airizona fighting fires in helicopters and one of them only recently retired from flying helicopters in Alaska for the past 30 years. He has more total helciopter hours than any man ever. I think approaching 20,000 hours. You have to be very good and very lucky to survive that many helicopter hours.

john h on 6/24/02 at 09:20 (088361)

Suzanne: Some years ago one of the major records centers for retired military personnel burned and tens of thousands of records were destroyed. To this day it still creates problems for veterans trying to confirm required information for various things. Hopefully he still has the Certificates that go with these awards.

BrianG on 6/25/02 at 18:30 (088445)

Hi Suzanne,

Thanks for the story. I never did hear back from David Hill's parents, but I know they got the printout. I'm sure they enjoyed it. Just came back from a week of bass fishing on upper Lake Champlain, in VT. Fishing was wet, and slow, due to heavy rains in the past few weeks. Three weeks ago the lake was in drought condition. and then it started raining, and didn't stop! The lake came up over 5 feet!!! It rained the first 2.5 days I was there. The week before had two major rain storms, one was 5 inches, the other 4. Now thats a lot of water!! I took it easy as I could, but the heels still took a beating. I had my 2 bags of frozen peas for after fishing. I was the big party pooper, going to bed between 9-10pm every night, due to the pain.

I'm a little better now, but haven't seen any improvement from the ESWT treatment, 11 weeks now. It may still happen, I haven't given up. Regards

BrianG

john h on 6/26/02 at 09:18 (088485)

Brian: Looking for the elusive lunker is on going for life. After all is said and done sitting out on the lake and river in a beautiful enviorment is what is really great about fishing. If you have a special friend to go with you it is even better but I can get lost in another world while fishing and forget my problems for a while. I have fished throuhg many a rain storm in my rain suit but never really caught many fish with rising waters.

Suzanne D on 6/26/02 at 15:00 (088511)

Dear Brian,

That was a lot of water! Still, I hope you were able to enjoy your trip. I'm sorry the feet hurt and am still hoping the ESWT will bring about some good results for you.

There is a river very close to where I live. There have been a couple of times in the past few years when the water has risen WAY above the banks after days of heavy rain. In fact, one time - about 8 years ago - the water came up above the floor of the big iron bridge that is usually many yards above the river. (I'm not a math person, so I never can figure in my mind how high something is, etc., but it was an amazing sight!) There is a church camp on the other side of the river, and water was OVER the top of the basketball goal there, so that gives you an idea... People came from all around to get out of their cars and stare at the sight. (That might give you an idea of how rural we are; we don't get too much excitement!). My daughters were most fascinated at the time by the picnic table that was up in a tall tree! The fire department had to come to get it down before it fell and hurt someone.

Take care, and I hope you find some improvement soon!

BrianG on 6/26/02 at 15:37 (088512)

As a person who has fished most of his life, I do not agree with the people who say fishing is better in the rain. They must be reading too many fishing magazines while sitting in the easy chair :*)

I did have help from my buddy carring my tackle box to and from the boat each day, it was a big help. Also, it's a small 17' bass boat with carpet, over wood. Did my feet hurt, yes! But I'm quite certain it will not be a permanant spike. I should be back to my normal, miserable self within a week! I really did baby my heels after the ESWT for the 1st 9 1/2 weeks. No work, no heavy lifting or anything of the sort. I used heat 3 times a day, for about 8 weeks. I gave it a good shot, but unfortunatly not everyone is a success story. It was still better than surgery (for me).

BrianG

dave on 6/26/02 at 15:41 (088514)

I was out saturday in the rain and caught the biggest walleye of my life!
i was casting for northerns with a #3 yellow mepps with a bucktail. I was amazed to see an 8 pound walleye stuck on the end of it

Re: Nice fish !!

BrianG on 6/27/02 at 17:54 (088622)

I've always wanted to eat a walleye, but never caught one in clean enough water. 8 pounds, good deal!! Were you on one of the great lakes?

BrianG

dave on 6/28/02 at 07:11 (088654)

Actually i was about an hour west of lake michigan close to my house. I have always wanted to fish on lake Erie. maybe someday i wll be lucky enough to go there sometime.Thanks!

john h on 6/28/02 at 09:26 (088666)

I caught one walleye while fishing for a bass. Let him go.

john h on 6/28/02 at 18:55 (088710)

When I was in high school we swam on the beaches in Chicago. With water polution I wonder if they still do that. It would be like swiming in the East River in NYC.

J. King on 6/21/02 at 19:07 (088249)

Suzanne

One of my old friends from Vietnam just got in touch with me after 32 years. I could not believe it. He found my email address and name on a web site dedicated to the First Aviation Brigade that was our unit in Vietnam. It was like no time had passed. It is the friends we left behind that count.

Suzanne D on 6/21/02 at 22:10 (088265)

How nice to hear from an old friend! There is such a closeness that forms between people who go through something hard together. I would not pretend to understand the feelings of you who fought side by side, but I would imagine it would form the closest of bonds.

I hope the internet allows many more such reunions.

john h on 6/22/02 at 08:59 (088282)

j king: this week two of my buddies and fellow crewmembers from Vietnam (1969) were burried at Arlington. There remains were recently recovered from a crash site in Laos where they were shot down. There was a helicopter flyover of vintage Vietnam helicopters. 32 years but they are home now. I am still very much in touch with all the guys from my unit and we have reunions on a regular basis. A number of them went into the Forest Service in Airizona fighting fires in helicopters and one of them only recently retired from flying helicopters in Alaska for the past 30 years. He has more total helciopter hours than any man ever. I think approaching 20,000 hours. You have to be very good and very lucky to survive that many helicopter hours.

john h on 6/24/02 at 09:20 (088361)

Suzanne: Some years ago one of the major records centers for retired military personnel burned and tens of thousands of records were destroyed. To this day it still creates problems for veterans trying to confirm required information for various things. Hopefully he still has the Certificates that go with these awards.

BrianG on 6/25/02 at 18:30 (088445)

Hi Suzanne,

Thanks for the story. I never did hear back from David Hill's parents, but I know they got the printout. I'm sure they enjoyed it. Just came back from a week of bass fishing on upper Lake Champlain, in VT. Fishing was wet, and slow, due to heavy rains in the past few weeks. Three weeks ago the lake was in drought condition. and then it started raining, and didn't stop! The lake came up over 5 feet!!! It rained the first 2.5 days I was there. The week before had two major rain storms, one was 5 inches, the other 4. Now thats a lot of water!! I took it easy as I could, but the heels still took a beating. I had my 2 bags of frozen peas for after fishing. I was the big party pooper, going to bed between 9-10pm every night, due to the pain.

I'm a little better now, but haven't seen any improvement from the ESWT treatment, 11 weeks now. It may still happen, I haven't given up. Regards

BrianG

john h on 6/26/02 at 09:18 (088485)

Brian: Looking for the elusive lunker is on going for life. After all is said and done sitting out on the lake and river in a beautiful enviorment is what is really great about fishing. If you have a special friend to go with you it is even better but I can get lost in another world while fishing and forget my problems for a while. I have fished throuhg many a rain storm in my rain suit but never really caught many fish with rising waters.

Suzanne D on 6/26/02 at 15:00 (088511)

Dear Brian,

That was a lot of water! Still, I hope you were able to enjoy your trip. I'm sorry the feet hurt and am still hoping the ESWT will bring about some good results for you.

There is a river very close to where I live. There have been a couple of times in the past few years when the water has risen WAY above the banks after days of heavy rain. In fact, one time - about 8 years ago - the water came up above the floor of the big iron bridge that is usually many yards above the river. (I'm not a math person, so I never can figure in my mind how high something is, etc., but it was an amazing sight!) There is a church camp on the other side of the river, and water was OVER the top of the basketball goal there, so that gives you an idea... People came from all around to get out of their cars and stare at the sight. (That might give you an idea of how rural we are; we don't get too much excitement!). My daughters were most fascinated at the time by the picnic table that was up in a tall tree! The fire department had to come to get it down before it fell and hurt someone.

Take care, and I hope you find some improvement soon!

BrianG on 6/26/02 at 15:37 (088512)

As a person who has fished most of his life, I do not agree with the people who say fishing is better in the rain. They must be reading too many fishing magazines while sitting in the easy chair :*)

I did have help from my buddy carring my tackle box to and from the boat each day, it was a big help. Also, it's a small 17' bass boat with carpet, over wood. Did my feet hurt, yes! But I'm quite certain it will not be a permanant spike. I should be back to my normal, miserable self within a week! I really did baby my heels after the ESWT for the 1st 9 1/2 weeks. No work, no heavy lifting or anything of the sort. I used heat 3 times a day, for about 8 weeks. I gave it a good shot, but unfortunatly not everyone is a success story. It was still better than surgery (for me).

BrianG

dave on 6/26/02 at 15:41 (088514)

I was out saturday in the rain and caught the biggest walleye of my life!
i was casting for northerns with a #3 yellow mepps with a bucktail. I was amazed to see an 8 pound walleye stuck on the end of it

BrianG on 6/27/02 at 17:54 (088622)

I've always wanted to eat a walleye, but never caught one in clean enough water. 8 pounds, good deal!! Were you on one of the great lakes?

BrianG

dave on 6/28/02 at 07:11 (088654)

Actually i was about an hour west of lake michigan close to my house. I have always wanted to fish on lake Erie. maybe someday i wll be lucky enough to go there sometime.Thanks!

john h on 6/28/02 at 09:26 (088666)

I caught one walleye while fishing for a bass. Let him go.

john h on 6/28/02 at 18:55 (088710)

When I was in high school we swam on the beaches in Chicago. With water polution I wonder if they still do that. It would be like swiming in the East River in NYC.