Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Accessory Navicular Excision

Posted by Jennifer T on 6/21/02 at 12:05 (088215)

I am scheduled to have this procedure done. I have had a history of trouble with my accessories since my teens. I was cast not less than three times between the ages of 12-14. They have continued to bother me, but the problem really re-emerged after I had a Maquet style TTT performed on my knee. The pressure of the torque applied to my tibia sprained/strained the accessory and it has given me very little peace since.
My pain is a constant tooth ache type pain. On x-ray there seems to be quite a lot of calcification. I have also recently develop persistent calf cramps. I have tried Visco-ped type inserts and they made the problem worse. Are there any other intermediate steps prior to surgery ????? I am concerned because of the tenuous make-up of my mechanics further up the leg (I also have acetabular dysplasia). Will it be worth the six weeks in the cast ???????

Thanks in advance for any insight you might be able to share.

Re: Accessory Navicular Excision

Dr. John Cozzarelli on 6/21/02 at 14:23 (088225)

Hi Jennifer:

Depending how large the accessory Navicular is a good indicator of how much relief you will have. If the bone rubs on everyting and causes pain the removal should help quite a bit. Good luck with your surgery!!

Dr. John Cozzarelli

Jennifer T on 6/21/02 at 19:58 (088255)

Thanks for the encouragement. My accessories are pretty 'prominent'. The calcification is so thick that a urgent care doctor was sure it was non-union. His PA mentioned that my feet were really horrifying : O
Thanks again.

Jennifer

Ann on 6/25/02 at 12:42 (088415)

I am recovering from surgery for this exact thing right now. I had surgery on Friday, June 21st. I am curently in a below knee plaster cast non- weight bearing until July 9th. So far , so good. Not too much pain. I hope to be in a walking cast on my next visit. Any comments on what to expect from here on in? What will toatal recovery time be? Thanks

Jennifer T on 6/27/02 at 02:44 (088565)

I would love to hear how you progress with your recovery. My OS said that I would be in a cast for 6 weeks, but I will find out more tomorrow as I go in for the pre-op physical. I will be having the surgery on July 1st (unless I chicken out).

Ann on 6/27/02 at 05:42 (088566)

Jennifer, you sound just like me, I was ready to chicken out almost up to the last minute. But I was always in pain, so I hope I made the right decision. The plaster cast is a pain ,and it is non weight bearing. So, I am pretty much helpless. My doctor said 6 weeks in a cast too, 2 in this one, then 4 in a walking cast. I neglected to ask whether it would be removable or not. And that is a very important question, this cast is hot and itchy. Maybe we could email each other? Have a good day.

Jennifer T on 6/27/02 at 09:30 (088582)

E-mail would be great....

(email removed)

Dr. John Cozzarelli on 6/21/02 at 14:23 (088225)

Hi Jennifer:

Depending how large the accessory Navicular is a good indicator of how much relief you will have. If the bone rubs on everyting and causes pain the removal should help quite a bit. Good luck with your surgery!!

Dr. John Cozzarelli

Jennifer T on 6/21/02 at 19:58 (088255)

Thanks for the encouragement. My accessories are pretty 'prominent'. The calcification is so thick that a urgent care doctor was sure it was non-union. His PA mentioned that my feet were really horrifying : O
Thanks again.

Jennifer

Ann on 6/25/02 at 12:42 (088415)

I am recovering from surgery for this exact thing right now. I had surgery on Friday, June 21st. I am curently in a below knee plaster cast non- weight bearing until July 9th. So far , so good. Not too much pain. I hope to be in a walking cast on my next visit. Any comments on what to expect from here on in? What will toatal recovery time be? Thanks

Jennifer T on 6/27/02 at 02:44 (088565)

I would love to hear how you progress with your recovery. My OS said that I would be in a cast for 6 weeks, but I will find out more tomorrow as I go in for the pre-op physical. I will be having the surgery on July 1st (unless I chicken out).

Ann on 6/27/02 at 05:42 (088566)

Jennifer, you sound just like me, I was ready to chicken out almost up to the last minute. But I was always in pain, so I hope I made the right decision. The plaster cast is a pain ,and it is non weight bearing. So, I am pretty much helpless. My doctor said 6 weeks in a cast too, 2 in this one, then 4 in a walking cast. I neglected to ask whether it would be removable or not. And that is a very important question, this cast is hot and itchy. Maybe we could email each other? Have a good day.

Jennifer T on 6/27/02 at 09:30 (088582)

E-mail would be great....

(email removed)