Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Orthotics: Question for one of the Docs.

Posted by Peggy P. on 6/21/02 at 22:33 (088269)

My Pod wants to fit me for orthotics. I have morton's neuroma -- and a metatarsal problem on my left foot. I have heard from other peope that the custom rigid ones make the neuroma worse. Before I spend so much on these, I want to make sure they are the right one for my problem -- and that I'll wear them. I would like to know what kind you would recommend. I am wearing ortha heels right now. I'm not sure if I should just stick with them.

Re: Orthotics: Question for one of the Docs.

Ed Davis, DPM on 6/22/02 at 12:26 (088303)

Peggy:

Sometimes anything that is placed in a shoe will make a Morton's neuroma worse due to crowding of the metatarsals. There are different philosophies but I feel that the neuroma needs to be treated first before using an orthotic. Others feel that it is possible to design an orthotic that relieves some of the neuroma pain.
Ed

Peggy P. on 6/22/02 at 18:30 (088311)

Hi,

My neuroma is being treated and I'm receiving my 2nd sclerosing injection next week. I now need to get orthotics and wanted to get feedback on various kinds.

Thanks.

Ed Davis, DPM on 6/22/02 at 12:26 (088303)

Peggy:

Sometimes anything that is placed in a shoe will make a Morton's neuroma worse due to crowding of the metatarsals. There are different philosophies but I feel that the neuroma needs to be treated first before using an orthotic. Others feel that it is possible to design an orthotic that relieves some of the neuroma pain.
Ed

Peggy P. on 6/22/02 at 18:30 (088311)

Hi,

My neuroma is being treated and I'm receiving my 2nd sclerosing injection next week. I now need to get orthotics and wanted to get feedback on various kinds.

Thanks.