Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Torn Plantar Fascia

Posted by Brett S on 6/22/02 at 10:00 (088287)

Whilst playing sport recently I had the unpleasant feeling of something basically letting go in my foot when I went to push off. My physician says that it appears I have torn the plantar fascia away from where it joins the heal. I have been looking around to find out what is the most common treatment and how long I can expect to be on the sidelines for???

Re: Torn Plantar Fascia

Ed Davis, DPM on 6/22/02 at 12:15 (088298)

Did you have plantar fasciitis or heel pain before the injury?

I generally would treat this via repetetive taping plus physical therapy. Occasionally a soft orthotic will help during the healing phase. A severe injury may require a cast for 2 to 3 weeks.

Your time off would depend on how vigorously the problem is treated and may range from 2 1/2 to 7 weeks depending on the severity and treatment rendered.
Ed

EKC on 6/24/02 at 09:00 (088360)

The olympic decatholete Dan O'Brien suffered a torn PF right before
the olympics. I saw the other day he has recovered and will try for
the upcoming olympics. I emailed his 'agent' asking about Dan's
injury/therapy/recovery. But did not receive a reply. Good luck.

Brett S on 6/25/02 at 23:40 (088465)

Ed thanks for the reply - yes I did have some plantar fascia pain prior to sustaining the tear. I thought initially it was a bruise or a slight strain and kept playing with the pain. The night before I tore the fascia the pain was the worst (to the extent that it was painful to even stand up) I had and then I tore it playing sport that night.

Thanks for trying to get the treatment of the athlete much obliged.

Ed Davis, DPM on 6/22/02 at 12:15 (088298)

Did you have plantar fasciitis or heel pain before the injury?

I generally would treat this via repetetive taping plus physical therapy. Occasionally a soft orthotic will help during the healing phase. A severe injury may require a cast for 2 to 3 weeks.

Your time off would depend on how vigorously the problem is treated and may range from 2 1/2 to 7 weeks depending on the severity and treatment rendered.
Ed

EKC on 6/24/02 at 09:00 (088360)

The olympic decatholete Dan O'Brien suffered a torn PF right before
the olympics. I saw the other day he has recovered and will try for
the upcoming olympics. I emailed his 'agent' asking about Dan's
injury/therapy/recovery. But did not receive a reply. Good luck.

Brett S on 6/25/02 at 23:40 (088465)

Ed thanks for the reply - yes I did have some plantar fascia pain prior to sustaining the tear. I thought initially it was a bruise or a slight strain and kept playing with the pain. The night before I tore the fascia the pain was the worst (to the extent that it was painful to even stand up) I had and then I tore it playing sport that night.

Thanks for trying to get the treatment of the athlete much obliged.