Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Need Advice

Posted by Ellen M on 6/22/02 at 12:06 (088294)

I have been diagnosed from Pod that I have heel spur and pf, I tried 2 cortizone shots and they did absolutely nothing, he then sent me for 6 visits to PT therapy which helped a lot,(he seemed iritated thaty I would not consider shots) PT's found something wrong with my SI joint in back, I went to Pod after PT and he wants to send me to Chiro, my regular MD wants me to go to orthopedic Dr., overall my arch feels better, but I have definite morning pain in my heel, and back pain as well when I get up, I have inserts that I wear in my new balances, other than that I wear birks, I am not sure where to turn, I see some improvement but not enough to stay status quo, I have put on 12 lbs since December, and want my old life back, any advice? Thank you

Re: Need Advice

Ed Davis, DPM on 6/22/02 at 12:19 (088300)

What type of inserts are you using in your shoes? Why did you only have 6 visits to PT?
Ed

Ellen M on 6/22/02 at 12:48 (088304)

I am not usre of the brand of inserts, they were sold to me by my Pod, they are the lenght of my foot, and I guess they are designed to give arch support, my PT said they were good ones, 6 visits were what the Dr. authorized, and when they were completed he felt a chiro would be better than PT, of course PT's say they are better than Chiro, and my internest felt the orthopedic dr would be the way to go, it is very confusing, I also recived ultrasound from Pod and PT. Thank you for responding

Ed Davis, DPM on 6/26/02 at 15:57 (088518)

We are not concerned about the brand of the inserts but by the type of inserts used. Please re-read my prior response. Are they custom molded orthotics made to a corrected cast of you feet or were thay something prefabricated?

If a modality is working, I would not move away from it. It takes an average of 12 to 24 visits done in succession in order to benefit from physical therapy. The only value of six visits is to see how you would respond.

You are finding things confusing because you are not obtaining consistent advice. Your podiatrist, from the standpoint of training knows more about this condition than the others but must give you good guidance. Most internists have little experience in this area.
Ed

Ellen M on 6/26/02 at 17:05 (088525)

Thank You for responding, the inserts are prefabricated. The Pod is the one who also recommended going to chiro over PT, the internal med dr. is leary of Chiros and recommended orthopedic, maybe I should look into another pod. I feel he seemed most interested in giving me shots of cortizone, and it was when I refused them he sent me to PT.

Ed Davis, DPM on 6/22/02 at 12:19 (088300)

What type of inserts are you using in your shoes? Why did you only have 6 visits to PT?
Ed

Ellen M on 6/22/02 at 12:48 (088304)

I am not usre of the brand of inserts, they were sold to me by my Pod, they are the lenght of my foot, and I guess they are designed to give arch support, my PT said they were good ones, 6 visits were what the Dr. authorized, and when they were completed he felt a chiro would be better than PT, of course PT's say they are better than Chiro, and my internest felt the orthopedic dr would be the way to go, it is very confusing, I also recived ultrasound from Pod and PT. Thank you for responding

Ed Davis, DPM on 6/26/02 at 15:57 (088518)

We are not concerned about the brand of the inserts but by the type of inserts used. Please re-read my prior response. Are they custom molded orthotics made to a corrected cast of you feet or were thay something prefabricated?

If a modality is working, I would not move away from it. It takes an average of 12 to 24 visits done in succession in order to benefit from physical therapy. The only value of six visits is to see how you would respond.

You are finding things confusing because you are not obtaining consistent advice. Your podiatrist, from the standpoint of training knows more about this condition than the others but must give you good guidance. Most internists have little experience in this area.
Ed

Ellen M on 6/26/02 at 17:05 (088525)

Thank You for responding, the inserts are prefabricated. The Pod is the one who also recommended going to chiro over PT, the internal med dr. is leary of Chiros and recommended orthopedic, maybe I should look into another pod. I feel he seemed most interested in giving me shots of cortizone, and it was when I refused them he sent me to PT.