Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Plantar Fasciitis

Posted by Brenda R on 6/23/02 at 01:53 (088323)

I have been docotoring for bilateral pf for 1 1/2 yrs and I self medicated beginning in 1997. I have been through all the taping, stretching, shots, orthotics, PT, icing, night splints, surgery and all. I was sent back to work full bore 9 weeks after surgery and then I was taken off the job after 5 months due to the severe pain. I was off work for 6 months and now I am back to work with shorter hours. We started at 2 hours, worked up to 5 and the pain became so severe, I am down to 1-2 hrs. per day.During this time they even had me try gel insoles, which did not help. During the 6 months off...I noted to my physical therapist that the arch in my left foot appeared to be falling drastically and the right arch was slightly. Theynow have me going th a physatrist whi put me on Bextra, Lidoderm patch and a multi-vitamin to help the healing and reduce symptoms. None of this has worked. Now they have ordered me some custom made boots to see if that would help. My question is.....at my job with as a meat inspector with USDA, I have to be able to perform my duties on my geet for up to 10 hours(although lately it is usually only 8 hrs) and they say if the boots don't work I may have to retire, could pf be a disabling condition for me? I am not getting better and feel as though I am making a bigger mess of my feet by continuing with my job. I don't know what to do. I have asked about the shock thing and they say no one in the area does that and they do not believe it would be beneficial in my case.
Thanks for any help you can be.

Re: Plantar Fasciitis

J. King on 6/23/02 at 08:15 (088328)

If you are a federal employee I would file for worker's compensation. I was a postal worker and I have PF and I filed for work comp. and my claim was accepted. You get a lot more money on work comp. than disability retirement. Your bosses don't want you to file for compensation. They just want you to retire so you will be out of their hair. This is just my opinion.

Brenda R on 6/23/02 at 11:36 (088336)

Thanks J. King for responding to my post. I am sorry but I forgot to tell you that I am on Worker's comp. This is not a desireable situation either as the financial end is not stable. They send the checks when they want and the little bit of working hours I do get are paid on time but amount to nothing. They have held up my work comp checks 3 times since october 2001. Once for 3 months, the for 1 3/4 months and most recently for 2 months. Checks don't even come on a regular basis, such as weekly or bi-weekly. Just whenever they decide to send them. In the meanwhile, I am in pain, the bills are stacking up and my kids are doing without.

J. King on 6/23/02 at 13:58 (088337)

I know worker's comp. is a sorry situation. I have been on it for ten months. I get a check every month like clockwork but it is still unstable because you never know when you may be sent for second opinion doctor who says you can work. The only good thing is if you are totally disabled you can collect for as long as you are disabled. Don't let them force you into accepting disability retirement. It is only 40% of your salary and is taxable. Do you have a union? They should help you. If they put you out of work because of your feet you can collect the compensation (OWCP). If they fire you because you cannot do the work...file for compensation. Maybe you can get another job to be off your feet. They will never get better being on them 10 hours a day. Some of the people on this list were forced out of their jobs and got nothing. No compensation, no social security disability, disability retirement.........nohting! Believe it or not we are lucky in that respect. I wish you the best of luck. Don't let your employer push you into doing something that harms you.

J. King on 6/23/02 at 14:17 (088340)

Brenda

I would just like to add that there are others on this list who have really bad problems with their feet and yes PF can be totally disabling condition. Check out the heelpain book. I think you will get some really good advice on this list from some of people and doctors as well. You sound like you have been through the mill and have tried everything already.

J. King on 6/23/02 at 08:15 (088328)

If you are a federal employee I would file for worker's compensation. I was a postal worker and I have PF and I filed for work comp. and my claim was accepted. You get a lot more money on work comp. than disability retirement. Your bosses don't want you to file for compensation. They just want you to retire so you will be out of their hair. This is just my opinion.

Brenda R on 6/23/02 at 11:36 (088336)

Thanks J. King for responding to my post. I am sorry but I forgot to tell you that I am on Worker's comp. This is not a desireable situation either as the financial end is not stable. They send the checks when they want and the little bit of working hours I do get are paid on time but amount to nothing. They have held up my work comp checks 3 times since october 2001. Once for 3 months, the for 1 3/4 months and most recently for 2 months. Checks don't even come on a regular basis, such as weekly or bi-weekly. Just whenever they decide to send them. In the meanwhile, I am in pain, the bills are stacking up and my kids are doing without.

J. King on 6/23/02 at 13:58 (088337)

I know worker's comp. is a sorry situation. I have been on it for ten months. I get a check every month like clockwork but it is still unstable because you never know when you may be sent for second opinion doctor who says you can work. The only good thing is if you are totally disabled you can collect for as long as you are disabled. Don't let them force you into accepting disability retirement. It is only 40% of your salary and is taxable. Do you have a union? They should help you. If they put you out of work because of your feet you can collect the compensation (OWCP). If they fire you because you cannot do the work...file for compensation. Maybe you can get another job to be off your feet. They will never get better being on them 10 hours a day. Some of the people on this list were forced out of their jobs and got nothing. No compensation, no social security disability, disability retirement.........nohting! Believe it or not we are lucky in that respect. I wish you the best of luck. Don't let your employer push you into doing something that harms you.

J. King on 6/23/02 at 14:17 (088340)

Brenda

I would just like to add that there are others on this list who have really bad problems with their feet and yes PF can be totally disabling condition. Check out the heelpain book. I think you will get some really good advice on this list from some of people and doctors as well. You sound like you have been through the mill and have tried everything already.