Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Need some serious advice Please!

Posted by Mike on 6/23/02 at 08:43 (088330)

Hi Board, been awhile since posting but I have been reading on and off.
About 4 years ago, I fell and broke my 5th metatarsal in the right foot.
I just turned 44 and enjoy various outdoor activities - hiking, biking, fishing (or did in the past)

After suffering with pain that I figured came from the facture, I decided to seek help. We tried all conventional methods before surgery.
In Feb. 2001 I had medial PF and TTS surgery (2 incisions), developed scar tissue (keloid) which needed removed June 2001 which made for a few more weeks of recovery.

My problem is still pain in the heel and surgery area of the right ankle, plus the feeling of electric shocking along the surgery site. My POD sent me to Dr. Dellon at the Institute for Peripheral Nerve Surgery who done extensive testing.

Here is the results:
Neuroma of the calcaneal nerve and probably additional neuroma of the small branch of the medial plantar. (What ever all that means)

Suggestions are:
reopen incisions, medial plantar branch that goes to the region of the arch removed; neuroma of the calcaneal nerve remove; and implant the proximal end of the calcaneal nerve into a muscle; possibly neurolysis of branches. (what ever all that means)

All I want is to walk without pain 5 or 6 days a week and I really dont want a fourth surgery plus rehab time again.
Do we not have a good strong pain killer??
I have tried Neurotin (good med, but made me spacy to say the least) and a host of others.

What are the diagnosis I have been told, the surgeries involved and has anyone else had these??

Thanks for the advice
Mike

Re: Need some serious advice Please!

Dr. Zuckerman on 6/23/02 at 11:01 (088335)

Hi

He wants to remove some of the nerves in your foot. I would talk to Dr Cozz about radio lesion of these areas first. This is a non-invasive procedure and has none of the risks that Dr. Dellon surgery involves.

Pauline on 6/23/02 at 20:27 (088353)

I'm no doctor, but I think you have a lot of homework to do before you move to having all these nerves removed. They make it sound so easy, but once removed you can't just replace them.

I'd certainly get many more opinions before I'd jump into this surgery one being from a Neurosurgeon.

You've been told what they want to remove, now you need to find out what complications you face if these nerves are removed and what success if any will result from the removal of all those nerves.

Remember nerves serve a very important purpose in the body. You need to know what transmissions will be eliminated, how and what parts of the body will be affected by their removal and what results can you expect. You also need to know more about the doctors credentials, how many of these surgeries he's performed, their outcomes, and if possible speak to some of his other patients that underwent this surgery.

You also need to do some Medical Journal research to find out what papers have been published on your condition and the surgery that is preposed for it's cure. See what others doctors are saying and their findings.

Please do your homework. If you react in haste to eliminate your pain you may regret for life the nerves you had removed.
Wishing and hoping you find a different solution to your problem.

KathyB on 6/24/02 at 05:19 (088359)

I have to agree with Pauline, homework and research and a serious question and answer session with a couple of doctors is in order. When I went for my first surgery I went with a whole sheet of qustions, write your questions down, double or thriple space them to write down the answers. Do this with your second and/or third opinion. This is such major stuff that I would be afraid to jump into it without a couple of other opinions. I use Loritab for pain killers, but they are strong and could put you out. I can work on them, but I have been taking them for about 5 years. If Neurontin does not work for you ask your doctor about Topamax, it is a new drug out that does not have all of the side effects. Good Luck and keep us informed.

Dr. Zuckerman on 6/23/02 at 11:01 (088335)

Hi

He wants to remove some of the nerves in your foot. I would talk to Dr Cozz about radio lesion of these areas first. This is a non-invasive procedure and has none of the risks that Dr. Dellon surgery involves.

Pauline on 6/23/02 at 20:27 (088353)

I'm no doctor, but I think you have a lot of homework to do before you move to having all these nerves removed. They make it sound so easy, but once removed you can't just replace them.

I'd certainly get many more opinions before I'd jump into this surgery one being from a Neurosurgeon.

You've been told what they want to remove, now you need to find out what complications you face if these nerves are removed and what success if any will result from the removal of all those nerves.

Remember nerves serve a very important purpose in the body. You need to know what transmissions will be eliminated, how and what parts of the body will be affected by their removal and what results can you expect. You also need to know more about the doctors credentials, how many of these surgeries he's performed, their outcomes, and if possible speak to some of his other patients that underwent this surgery.

You also need to do some Medical Journal research to find out what papers have been published on your condition and the surgery that is preposed for it's cure. See what others doctors are saying and their findings.

Please do your homework. If you react in haste to eliminate your pain you may regret for life the nerves you had removed.
Wishing and hoping you find a different solution to your problem.

KathyB on 6/24/02 at 05:19 (088359)

I have to agree with Pauline, homework and research and a serious question and answer session with a couple of doctors is in order. When I went for my first surgery I went with a whole sheet of qustions, write your questions down, double or thriple space them to write down the answers. Do this with your second and/or third opinion. This is such major stuff that I would be afraid to jump into it without a couple of other opinions. I use Loritab for pain killers, but they are strong and could put you out. I can work on them, but I have been taking them for about 5 years. If Neurontin does not work for you ask your doctor about Topamax, it is a new drug out that does not have all of the side effects. Good Luck and keep us informed.