Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

ques re: pf & pregnancy

Posted by rekha.s on 6/24/02 at 13:10 (088374)

Hello doctors, don't know if anyone remembers me, although I bugged Dr Z a lot while I was contemplating ESWT!!

Well, I had severe heel pain for years and went to few ESWT treatments in Los Angeles, and miraculously my feet are doing so much better, I barely feel any discomfort while walking, standing in place etc...ESWT is the best thing for PF! I am amazed at this treatment, and how I feel now!!!@

Well, I am contemplating having a baby now, and I am a little scared how a possible pregnancy might effect my feet. I don't want to re-develop PF, but I am now 33 and my biological clock is ticking!!! Dear doctors, any suggestions? I know lots of people develop PF while pregnant, so could I get thru a pregnancy without re-developing it?

Re: ques re: pf & pregnancy

Dr. John Cozzarelli on 6/25/02 at 04:49 (088403)

I would use the orthotics and avoid flat shoes and barefoot whie pregnant.

Dr. John Cozzarelli

Re: ESWT, Pregnancy and PF

LisaCO on 6/29/02 at 01:28 (088741)

Hi Rekha--I hope this late reply gets to you. I don't read the boards as often as I used to as I just had a little one myself 3 months ago.

My story is like yours--years of PF, then finally relief after ESWT 18 months ago. I was never in severe pain, but did end up leaving my job in order to rest and recuperate. My pain was down to 0-1 on my scale when I became pregnant. (BTW, I am 38)

I understand what you are worried about-the same questions plagued me. I decided that my plan of action would be to continue on as I have been--birks 100% (never could get orthotics any better than birks!), and careful observation. I planned to jump immediately on any symptoms with extra rest, ice and possibly physical therapy. The good news is that I didn't have a minutes trouble with my feet during my pregnancy! I did take some care with the weight gain, even though I started out 35 pounds overweight anyway. I managed to be as active and on my feet as I wished to be.

But, I do have to say that caring for my son after he was born has turned out to be more of a challenge...all the late night wakings and bending and reaching have given me a bit of a setback these past couple of weeks. A few days, I have gotten to a 3-4 on my scale. It's a lot harder to remember to be vigilant when you are sleep deprived. ;-) I am recovering pretty well from these days if I stretch and ice. If I ever do get to the point when I do not bounce back, I still have my physical therapist who has helped in the past, and ESWT is always there.

Feel free to email if you'd like to chat more: (email removed)

Re: ques re: pf & pregnancy

Dr. John Cozzarelli on 6/25/02 at 04:49 (088403)

I would use the orthotics and avoid flat shoes and barefoot whie pregnant.

Dr. John Cozzarelli

Re: ESWT, Pregnancy and PF

LisaCO on 6/29/02 at 01:28 (088741)

Hi Rekha--I hope this late reply gets to you. I don't read the boards as often as I used to as I just had a little one myself 3 months ago.

My story is like yours--years of PF, then finally relief after ESWT 18 months ago. I was never in severe pain, but did end up leaving my job in order to rest and recuperate. My pain was down to 0-1 on my scale when I became pregnant. (BTW, I am 38)

I understand what you are worried about-the same questions plagued me. I decided that my plan of action would be to continue on as I have been--birks 100% (never could get orthotics any better than birks!), and careful observation. I planned to jump immediately on any symptoms with extra rest, ice and possibly physical therapy. The good news is that I didn't have a minutes trouble with my feet during my pregnancy! I did take some care with the weight gain, even though I started out 35 pounds overweight anyway. I managed to be as active and on my feet as I wished to be.

But, I do have to say that caring for my son after he was born has turned out to be more of a challenge...all the late night wakings and bending and reaching have given me a bit of a setback these past couple of weeks. A few days, I have gotten to a 3-4 on my scale. It's a lot harder to remember to be vigilant when you are sleep deprived. ;-) I am recovering pretty well from these days if I stretch and ice. If I ever do get to the point when I do not bounce back, I still have my physical therapist who has helped in the past, and ESWT is always there.

Feel free to email if you'd like to chat more: (email removed)