Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Ossatron Scam....

Posted by SteveR on 6/24/02 at 19:43 (088393)

Had the procedure last July...Insurance picked up all but $100...they paid
Ossatron $2500 out of their $4500 charge...now almost a year later I get a
notice from Ossatron...a bill 120 days past due...fourth notice for over
$2000...Doctor's office says other folks getting same notice, but that I shouldn't owe anything...they will investigate...will keep board posted.

SteveR

Re: Ossatron Scam....

DaveV on 6/25/02 at 15:38 (088421)

I have plantar facititis. My doctor is liscensed to use Ossatron. He says its hocus pocus and doesnt work. What is your opinion on its use for heel spurs or plantar facitis?

Re: Ossatron Scam.... Is it??

BrianG on 6/25/02 at 20:07 (088455)

Hi Dave,

Just wondering why your doctor would get qualified to use the OssaTron, if he thought it was hocus pocus? Doesn't make sense to me.

BrianG

Re: maybe he should go back to medical school.....

Shane on 6/25/02 at 22:06 (088461)

This procedure ABSOLUTELY WORKS!! I had the Epos done w/ Dr. Z. - going on 7 weeks now. I feel like my life is finally coming back after having heel pain for 4 years now. I'm not 100% yet, but I am way better. I can stand in one place now, where as before I was very limited. and can even bear to walk a few steps here and there. I don't have the morning arch pain and my heel pain is about 40% of what it used to be. Tell your doc to log on to heelspurs.com and learn a little - Tell him to talk to Dr. Z if he doesn't believe it. As for your procedure, I say go for it. How can you afford not to. And I would probably ask another doc to do it....that's just me.

Good Luck,

Shane

monte on 6/26/02 at 08:02 (088478)

Shane...write to me at (email removed) and tell me about your experience wit PF and the ESWT. I think we have the same symptoms and I too had ESWT with DR Z. I would really appreciate it. Thanks.

Ed Davis, DPM on 6/26/02 at 16:07 (088519)

One thing that I have emphasized on this site is that we expect doctors to provide guidance, to help patients navigate effectively throught the maze of information out there. We expect doctors to be well informed in the areas for which their expertise is sought. As such, I am very dissapointed that you doctor would make such a comment.
Ed

SteveR on 6/26/02 at 19:55 (088535)

My initial post had nothing to do with the effectiveness of the procedure...I was pointing out the way Ossatron is trying to extort more
money than the insurance company allowable.

I hope it was just a clerical error...but I think people should be aware
of what might show up in the mail.

I myself was not aware of the $4500 Ossatron charge, but when I saw the insurance company paid what they did, and I was off the hook, I was relieved. I hope anyone going through the procedure in the future is better informed than I was...so far my out of pocket has been $200.

Hope this clears things up.

SteveR

Ed Davis, DPM on 6/29/02 at 17:53 (088778)

Steve:

Perhaps, as you pointed out, your initial post may have been misunderstood. Nevertheless, when you use words like 'scam' and 'extort' a strong reaction will be evoked from readers.

An insurance company almost always allows less than what is being charged so the difference between what is being charged by a provider and what is allowed by an insurance company does not constitute extortion.

I think that the asking price of $4500 for the Ossatron treatment is very high. It is understandable when you consider what it took to bring the product to 'market.' FDA, regulatory and medico-legal considerations are driving the price of medical technology through the roof. The unfortunate effect is that many cannot afford the benefit of such technologies. Consider yourself lucky that your insurance company provided you coverage for the treatment.
Ed

DaveV on 7/15/02 at 18:23 (089713)

Shane, it has been three weeks since I last heard from you and your heel situation. How are things now?

DaveV on 6/25/02 at 15:38 (088421)

I have plantar facititis. My doctor is liscensed to use Ossatron. He says its hocus pocus and doesnt work. What is your opinion on its use for heel spurs or plantar facitis?

Re: Ossatron Scam.... Is it??

BrianG on 6/25/02 at 20:07 (088455)

Hi Dave,

Just wondering why your doctor would get qualified to use the OssaTron, if he thought it was hocus pocus? Doesn't make sense to me.

BrianG

Shane on 6/25/02 at 22:06 (088461)

This procedure ABSOLUTELY WORKS!! I had the Epos done w/ Dr. Z. - going on 7 weeks now. I feel like my life is finally coming back after having heel pain for 4 years now. I'm not 100% yet, but I am way better. I can stand in one place now, where as before I was very limited. and can even bear to walk a few steps here and there. I don't have the morning arch pain and my heel pain is about 40% of what it used to be. Tell your doc to log on to heelspurs.com and learn a little - Tell him to talk to Dr. Z if he doesn't believe it. As for your procedure, I say go for it. How can you afford not to. And I would probably ask another doc to do it....that's just me.

Good Luck,

Shane

monte on 6/26/02 at 08:02 (088478)

Shane...write to me at (email removed) and tell me about your experience wit PF and the ESWT. I think we have the same symptoms and I too had ESWT with DR Z. I would really appreciate it. Thanks.

Ed Davis, DPM on 6/26/02 at 16:07 (088519)

One thing that I have emphasized on this site is that we expect doctors to provide guidance, to help patients navigate effectively throught the maze of information out there. We expect doctors to be well informed in the areas for which their expertise is sought. As such, I am very dissapointed that you doctor would make such a comment.
Ed

SteveR on 6/26/02 at 19:55 (088535)

My initial post had nothing to do with the effectiveness of the procedure...I was pointing out the way Ossatron is trying to extort more
money than the insurance company allowable.

I hope it was just a clerical error...but I think people should be aware
of what might show up in the mail.

I myself was not aware of the $4500 Ossatron charge, but when I saw the insurance company paid what they did, and I was off the hook, I was relieved. I hope anyone going through the procedure in the future is better informed than I was...so far my out of pocket has been $200.

Hope this clears things up.

SteveR

Ed Davis, DPM on 6/29/02 at 17:53 (088778)

Steve:

Perhaps, as you pointed out, your initial post may have been misunderstood. Nevertheless, when you use words like 'scam' and 'extort' a strong reaction will be evoked from readers.

An insurance company almost always allows less than what is being charged so the difference between what is being charged by a provider and what is allowed by an insurance company does not constitute extortion.

I think that the asking price of $4500 for the Ossatron treatment is very high. It is understandable when you consider what it took to bring the product to 'market.' FDA, regulatory and medico-legal considerations are driving the price of medical technology through the roof. The unfortunate effect is that many cannot afford the benefit of such technologies. Consider yourself lucky that your insurance company provided you coverage for the treatment.
Ed

DaveV on 7/15/02 at 18:23 (089713)

Shane, it has been three weeks since I last heard from you and your heel situation. How are things now?