Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

heel spurs

Posted by paula kelly on 6/24/02 at 19:54 (088394)

I just got back from the doctor and I was told that I have multiple heel spurs on both of my feet. I also have a back injury and with all the info he gave me I forgot to ask a few questions. What can be done to remove the spurs? Is surgery the only way? I have to stand for 8-9 hours everyday on hard floors. For the first 1 1/2 my employer didn't supply mats and after 1 year of working there I developed these bumps {heel spurs} on my heels. Could they have gotten so bad because I waited so long to get treatment? It's been 4 years since I first saw the bumps. I have had pain on and off, but thought it was due to working long hours on my feet. My pain wasn't on the bumps, but on the bottom of my feet, now the pain is on the top of my feet and on one heel, it feels like the bump is going to crack open when I take a step. I also have had extreme back pain for the same amount of time. I've been about 80 pounds overweight the whole time I've worked here, and im sure that doesn't help, but I've never had back/foot pain before this job. Could I develop heal spurs just from standing too long? I need to get this fixed because everytime I try an exercise program, I either throw out my foot or back.Also what is your thinking on me still working? Im a hairdresser, and I stand all day in a bent over position. Am I making my feet worse. I have phisical therepy, but im not sure if it's for my back or both. Thank you, paula kelly

Re: heel spurs

Dr. John Cozzarelli on 6/25/02 at 04:43 (088401)

Hi Paula:

Your right you have to address this problem You havetwo paths you can go down. The first path is your surgical path where the spur is filed via a puncture. Your next option is to have ESWT which is not going to remove the spur but stop your pain. This is non invassive. If you would like information on ESWT please feel free to e-mail me.

Dr. John Cozzarelli

paula kelly on 6/25/02 at 23:34 (088464)

If I go for surgery, will the bumps grow back?

Dr. John Cozzarelli on 6/26/02 at 06:32 (088471)

They can grow back if you were shoes that aggreviate the condition.

Dr. John Cozzarelli

Dr. John Cozzarelli on 6/25/02 at 04:43 (088401)

Hi Paula:

Your right you have to address this problem You havetwo paths you can go down. The first path is your surgical path where the spur is filed via a puncture. Your next option is to have ESWT which is not going to remove the spur but stop your pain. This is non invassive. If you would like information on ESWT please feel free to e-mail me.

Dr. John Cozzarelli

paula kelly on 6/25/02 at 23:34 (088464)

If I go for surgery, will the bumps grow back?

Dr. John Cozzarelli on 6/26/02 at 06:32 (088471)

They can grow back if you were shoes that aggreviate the condition.

Dr. John Cozzarelli