Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

New Doctor, New Opinions

Posted by Chad H. on 6/25/02 at 13:25 (088418)

I went to see Dr. Tisdel at the Cleveland Clinic yesterday. He seems to be a very knowledgeable, very caring doctor. He spent a fair amount of time with me, listened to my story, checked me out, and gave me a very honest opinion.

He doesn't think that more surgery is appropriate at this time. He doesn't think that orthopedics can offer me anything at this time. That is quite a statement coming from a orthopedic surgeon. He actually diagnosed me with RSD. Whether or not I have RSD is not as important as what he is recommending for me.

He is recommending that I see a pain management doctor and that we attempt to get the over-sensative nerves under control with various options(neurontin, injections, et). With the pain in check I would start physical therapy to begin to regain range of motion. Dr. Tisdel expects this to be a very slow process with gradual improvement taking place over a two year period.

The interesting thing is, this is exactly what I wanted to try about 3 years ago. I went to see a pain management doctor who told me I had neuromas and that he wanted to stick needles into my ankle and zap the neuromas somehow. I ran out of his office and never looked back.

Wendyn, you mentioned RSD a while back, looks like you were on track!

Re: New Doctor, New Opinions

wendyn on 6/25/02 at 18:25 (088443)

Chad - sorry to hear that I was on track. I don't recall your story - did you have symptoms that sound like RSD?

On the positive side, it sounds like you found a doctor who knows what he's doing - all the right treatments for RSD.

Keep in touch!

wendyn on 6/25/02 at 18:28 (088444)

Sorry Chad, I re-read your other post - you were the one with the strange 'chills'. I suspect these bizarre sensations must be related to RSD since all of us with it seem to experience them. However, I have never read anything about them.

Happened to me today - something startled me and MAN does that hurt!!!!

Tammie on 6/28/02 at 20:56 (088724)

Chad You live near Cleveland? I live in upper north easter area of Ohio. I also had a dx from a ortho for rsd and my pain management agrees also so I am started on the neurontin we are working up to the does we are at 900 mg a day among other things. He is great, not to much bedside manner but he is very smart and sharp does not miss much! I think he is at Cleveland clinic also did he refer you to a pain management DR? I found they are really great they sure know about pain ! I would love to know who u end up with as a pain dr./I see mine at ashtabula , he is there one day a week then he is at other places/ He sure is busy and he seems to be prompt with getting itnto appt. But also takes all time you need for talking and answers. Good luck sorry the dx was this RSD I cannot beleive how many people dont know what it is , when there seems so many that have it.

Chad H. on 7/03/02 at 11:00 (089032)

Tammie,

The doctor I am seeing is Dr. Grimm. My appointment is next Wednesday, I will keep you posted.

Tammie on 7/03/02 at 19:00 (089056)

Ok Chad! You keep me posted as I do hope that you find the RIGHT dr. which seems so very hard.I finally after how many docs, found this pain management Dr,and he seems to be right on track , he ordered the tests that I have been trying to get for over year even before the surgeries. I have results off nerve test, it concluded that there was nerve damage on the right and also a surprise it said I have something called spondylolisthesis which I have not to much except he said it is like I hope this is right , a vertebra moving foward on to another vertebrae causing compression of nerves therefore the reason I am having right side pain, I had thought it was all releated to the foot stuff.

He then had me get the mri which showed the dx of this above and confirmed what he had already believed, definete RSD in left foot he said I have beautiful symtoms , GET that one beautiful, Oh well I guess that is something lol.So now I await the nerve blocks? Now I do hope that you find some good info, I am seeing a dr. Zaidi I really like him , great way lol he is the doc and I am te student as he does try to teach all there is to know about things. Always listening to waht i am saying or sometimes just what he thinks I am thinking. He is short to the point not a hand holder but a smart man. So I can put up with his bed side manner as he is smart and right up to date on everything it seems.

So let me know what happens and how you are doing? OK now get some rest.

wendyn on 6/25/02 at 18:25 (088443)

Chad - sorry to hear that I was on track. I don't recall your story - did you have symptoms that sound like RSD?

On the positive side, it sounds like you found a doctor who knows what he's doing - all the right treatments for RSD.

Keep in touch!

wendyn on 6/25/02 at 18:28 (088444)

Sorry Chad, I re-read your other post - you were the one with the strange 'chills'. I suspect these bizarre sensations must be related to RSD since all of us with it seem to experience them. However, I have never read anything about them.

Happened to me today - something startled me and MAN does that hurt!!!!

Tammie on 6/28/02 at 20:56 (088724)

Chad You live near Cleveland? I live in upper north easter area of Ohio. I also had a dx from a ortho for rsd and my pain management agrees also so I am started on the neurontin we are working up to the does we are at 900 mg a day among other things. He is great, not to much bedside manner but he is very smart and sharp does not miss much! I think he is at Cleveland clinic also did he refer you to a pain management DR? I found they are really great they sure know about pain ! I would love to know who u end up with as a pain dr./I see mine at ashtabula , he is there one day a week then he is at other places/ He sure is busy and he seems to be prompt with getting itnto appt. But also takes all time you need for talking and answers. Good luck sorry the dx was this RSD I cannot beleive how many people dont know what it is , when there seems so many that have it.

Chad H. on 7/03/02 at 11:00 (089032)

Tammie,

The doctor I am seeing is Dr. Grimm. My appointment is next Wednesday, I will keep you posted.

Tammie on 7/03/02 at 19:00 (089056)

Ok Chad! You keep me posted as I do hope that you find the RIGHT dr. which seems so very hard.I finally after how many docs, found this pain management Dr,and he seems to be right on track , he ordered the tests that I have been trying to get for over year even before the surgeries. I have results off nerve test, it concluded that there was nerve damage on the right and also a surprise it said I have something called spondylolisthesis which I have not to much except he said it is like I hope this is right , a vertebra moving foward on to another vertebrae causing compression of nerves therefore the reason I am having right side pain, I had thought it was all releated to the foot stuff.

He then had me get the mri which showed the dx of this above and confirmed what he had already believed, definete RSD in left foot he said I have beautiful symtoms , GET that one beautiful, Oh well I guess that is something lol.So now I await the nerve blocks? Now I do hope that you find some good info, I am seeing a dr. Zaidi I really like him , great way lol he is the doc and I am te student as he does try to teach all there is to know about things. Always listening to waht i am saying or sometimes just what he thinks I am thinking. He is short to the point not a hand holder but a smart man. So I can put up with his bed side manner as he is smart and right up to date on everything it seems.

So let me know what happens and how you are doing? OK now get some rest.