Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

I Learned Something New About Mephisto Shoes Today

Posted by David A. on 6/25/02 at 15:44 (088422)

I bought a pair of Mephisto (Sharks) sandals three weeks ago and they have ended my PF pain. Being completely satisfied with them, today I went to buy a pair of Mephisto dress shoes for the times that I can't wear sandals. Just before saying 'I'll take this pair', I mentioned my PF to the salesman. He immediately told me that NOT ALL MEPHISTO'S HAVE THE SAME FOOTBED .... and that the shoes I had selected probably WOULDN'T help the PF in the same way the sandal did. If fact, he told me that it probably wouldn't help at all. At that point I began asking more questions and learned that the styles with the thinner soles don't have the same cork & cushion nor the great arch support that I had gotten use to in my sandals. Whew!!! I almost blew $265 (plus tax)! I ended up buying a more casual Mephisto with a more comfortable & supportive footbed.

Re: I Learned Something New About Mephisto Shoes Today

Carole C in NOLA on 6/25/02 at 16:48 (088426)

Thanks for the information! That is good to know. I didn't realize that not all Mephistos have the same footbed!

Carole C

john h on 6/25/02 at 17:42 (088433)

David: I got a call today and my Mesphito sandals are in. I did not get the Sharks but the two strap model that looks a little like an Airizona.

Shirley W on 6/25/02 at 19:33 (088452)

How nice of you to let us all know! I have a pair of Mephisto sandals and I just love them, and would consider another type of shoe by them, so I am glad to have that info. It is nice when you can go to a shoe store and actually walk away with good information from a knowledgeable staff, not to mention a good pair of shoes. Hope the new ones are a great fit for you!

David A. on 6/26/02 at 07:24 (088472)

John, I'm not familiar with the Arizona, but I've seen most of the Mephisto sandals - and the ones I've seen look pretty good and look like they have a good footbed. I sure hope they'll help you as much as they helped me. I'll be waiting to hear how you like them. ........David A.

David A. on 6/26/02 at 07:30 (088474)

Shirley, I felt kinda stupid when I discovered that some of the footbeds were made different than others. I had just assumed that they were all the same ................. and almost wasted some money. Today is the first day for the new ones - I've had them on for only about 15 minutes.
So far, they don't feel as good as the sandals, but they're okay and my heel isn't hurting ....... yet. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Rick R on 6/26/02 at 07:35 (088475)

Wow! In your quest to find help with PF you bagged a far more elusive quarry, an honest person, as salesman no less.

Rick

David A. on 6/26/02 at 07:41 (088476)

Yes, it is surprising isn't it. By telling me that the dress shoe wouldn't help, he pretty much guaranteed that he'd loose that particular sale.
And he had no assurance that I'd consider buying a different style. He's my new hero.

john h on 6/26/02 at 19:21 (088528)

My Mesphito sandals arrived today. They look much like the Birk Airizona. Sole is stiff and a good orthotic type footbed. Has a more cushioned bed and the heel is higher than Birk which may be a good thing. They feel more cofortable than my birk at the moment but it will take a few weeks to make an asssment. I think anyone who likes Birk sandals should take a look at the Meshpito sandal. They sure do not come cheap and no one discounts them. I am a major supporter of Birks but at first blush this looks like an awsome sandal. If these work out I may have to have a pair of the 'Shark' style and when someone ask me what I am wearing I can reply 'Dude these are Sharks'!

Carole C in NOLA on 6/27/02 at 06:38 (088568)

The Mephisto sounds ideal! A shoe with a good orthotic footbed like the Birkenstock but with a higher heel than a Birkenstock, sounds wonderful for those like me with both PF and Achilles tendonitis.

Be sure to let us know your opinion of them after you've worn them for a few weeks, also!

You may not be able to say 'Dude, these are Sharks!' but I'll bet your shoe has a model name of some sort that probably sounds as cool if you say it right.

Carole C

Kathy G on 6/27/02 at 12:58 (088600)

Oh, we all know that John will look cool no matter what he wears!

I thank you all for the info regarding these shoes. When my husband was buying shoes a few weeks ago, I saw them and was amazed at the prices! I never went over to see if they had them in the women's department.

If one can't wear Birks, do you think these might work out? My birks are custom - they don't even have the toe grip - and they kill my feet. My POD also ordered them with a built-up heel because he knew that, with my back problems, the negative heel wouldn't work out.

It sure would be nice to wear something other than my orthotics and running shoes!

Re: Mephistos/ Walking Co Shoe Store

Shirley W on 6/29/02 at 21:15 (088790)

Kathy, do you have a Walking Co shoe store in your area?? I have had great luck with this store when trying out shoes. My husband wore a pair of shoes off and on for a couple months, with pain, the seam was just in the wrong place. Yet they took the shoes back and gave him store credit. When I mentioned I had PF, they gave me a lot of info, and made suggestions. When I made my choice, they said to wear them to work for a few days, and if they didn't work out and were still is great condition, just bring them back. Sure enough, when they didn't help, they took them back. I later purchased my Mephistos from them and love them. I wish all shoe stores were this accomodating. I hope you can try them, and wish you the best.

Carole C in NOLA on 6/25/02 at 16:48 (088426)

Thanks for the information! That is good to know. I didn't realize that not all Mephistos have the same footbed!

Carole C

john h on 6/25/02 at 17:42 (088433)

David: I got a call today and my Mesphito sandals are in. I did not get the Sharks but the two strap model that looks a little like an Airizona.

Shirley W on 6/25/02 at 19:33 (088452)

How nice of you to let us all know! I have a pair of Mephisto sandals and I just love them, and would consider another type of shoe by them, so I am glad to have that info. It is nice when you can go to a shoe store and actually walk away with good information from a knowledgeable staff, not to mention a good pair of shoes. Hope the new ones are a great fit for you!

David A. on 6/26/02 at 07:24 (088472)

John, I'm not familiar with the Arizona, but I've seen most of the Mephisto sandals - and the ones I've seen look pretty good and look like they have a good footbed. I sure hope they'll help you as much as they helped me. I'll be waiting to hear how you like them. ........David A.

David A. on 6/26/02 at 07:30 (088474)

Shirley, I felt kinda stupid when I discovered that some of the footbeds were made different than others. I had just assumed that they were all the same ................. and almost wasted some money. Today is the first day for the new ones - I've had them on for only about 15 minutes.
So far, they don't feel as good as the sandals, but they're okay and my heel isn't hurting ....... yet. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Rick R on 6/26/02 at 07:35 (088475)

Wow! In your quest to find help with PF you bagged a far more elusive quarry, an honest person, as salesman no less.

Rick

David A. on 6/26/02 at 07:41 (088476)

Yes, it is surprising isn't it. By telling me that the dress shoe wouldn't help, he pretty much guaranteed that he'd loose that particular sale.
And he had no assurance that I'd consider buying a different style. He's my new hero.

john h on 6/26/02 at 19:21 (088528)

My Mesphito sandals arrived today. They look much like the Birk Airizona. Sole is stiff and a good orthotic type footbed. Has a more cushioned bed and the heel is higher than Birk which may be a good thing. They feel more cofortable than my birk at the moment but it will take a few weeks to make an asssment. I think anyone who likes Birk sandals should take a look at the Meshpito sandal. They sure do not come cheap and no one discounts them. I am a major supporter of Birks but at first blush this looks like an awsome sandal. If these work out I may have to have a pair of the 'Shark' style and when someone ask me what I am wearing I can reply 'Dude these are Sharks'!

Carole C in NOLA on 6/27/02 at 06:38 (088568)

The Mephisto sounds ideal! A shoe with a good orthotic footbed like the Birkenstock but with a higher heel than a Birkenstock, sounds wonderful for those like me with both PF and Achilles tendonitis.

Be sure to let us know your opinion of them after you've worn them for a few weeks, also!

You may not be able to say 'Dude, these are Sharks!' but I'll bet your shoe has a model name of some sort that probably sounds as cool if you say it right.

Carole C

Kathy G on 6/27/02 at 12:58 (088600)

Oh, we all know that John will look cool no matter what he wears!

I thank you all for the info regarding these shoes. When my husband was buying shoes a few weeks ago, I saw them and was amazed at the prices! I never went over to see if they had them in the women's department.

If one can't wear Birks, do you think these might work out? My birks are custom - they don't even have the toe grip - and they kill my feet. My POD also ordered them with a built-up heel because he knew that, with my back problems, the negative heel wouldn't work out.

It sure would be nice to wear something other than my orthotics and running shoes!

Re: Mephistos/ Walking Co Shoe Store

Shirley W on 6/29/02 at 21:15 (088790)

Kathy, do you have a Walking Co shoe store in your area?? I have had great luck with this store when trying out shoes. My husband wore a pair of shoes off and on for a couple months, with pain, the seam was just in the wrong place. Yet they took the shoes back and gave him store credit. When I mentioned I had PF, they gave me a lot of info, and made suggestions. When I made my choice, they said to wear them to work for a few days, and if they didn't work out and were still is great condition, just bring them back. Sure enough, when they didn't help, they took them back. I later purchased my Mephistos from them and love them. I wish all shoe stores were this accomodating. I hope you can try them, and wish you the best.