Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

a suggestion

Posted by wendyn on 6/25/02 at 18:31 (088446)

Since Scott has 'trigger words' now - it's a good idea to use the name of the person you're 'talking to' in your post.

My trigger word is Wendy so I get an email everytime someone uses it. (Don't over do this for fun JohnH!!!!)

Since I'm not on the board much, I'd miss most of the posts directed to me otherwise.

Re: a suggestion

john h on 6/26/02 at 09:19 (088486)

wendyn wendyn wendyn wendyn wendyn wendyn wendyn wendyn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wendyn on 6/26/02 at 10:24 (088489)

You are very funny guy John.

It's going to be 92 here today. I am off till Tuesday (I'm supposed to be spending some of my time studying on the deck).

Life is good!

Carole C in NOLA on 6/26/02 at 11:16 (088493)

What about all that gardening you wanted to do when it got warmer? How about this:

1. Study a little
2. Watch the plants grow a little
3. Doze in the sunshine a little
4. Repeat steps 1-3

Helpfully,

Carole C

Re: oh, I forgot...

Carole C in NOLA on 6/26/02 at 11:39 (088496)

Wendy! There, now you'll see the message. Read the one above which I forgot to 'Wendy'... thanks.

Carole

wendyn on 6/26/02 at 12:07 (088501)

Carole, I've been in the garden quite a bit. We don't have a realy big yard so there's only so much time I can spend out there. I will follow your suggestions as well as adding in

'Sip some ice tea'
'Watch the birds'
'Talk on the phone'

and for later in the evening perhaps

'Sip a nice cold beer'

92 degrees is pretty hot for here (I like it). I'm always amazed at how many people complain about it - I'll take it any day over -30. Considering we may only get a few days like this a year - it's okay with me!

Carole C in NOLA on 6/26/02 at 12:51 (088503)

Sounds wonderful! I like your additions to your schedule. Well, I've got to go back to work.

Carole

john h on 6/26/02 at 19:27 (088529)

Does your deck look into the forest Wendy? Mine does. On occasion I have my friends from the forest visit including fox, oppossum, racoons,etc. Last night a mommy raccoon and her 4 babies arrived to eat in my back yard and sometimes on the deck.

wendyn on 6/26/02 at 23:10 (088552)

A forest John??

No, Calgary has some nice treed areas but we are on the edge of the prairies. I have A tree in my yard. Just one.

We don't have racoon - but I have seen deer, porcupine and big jack rabbits in the neighborhood. Very rarely a bear or moose can wander into the city up the river - but not very often. There are a lot of cows not far from here. Can't see 'em from my house, but on the odd day you can smell 'em!!!!

Carole C in NOLA on 6/27/02 at 06:30 (088567)

You two sure have a lot of wildlife around! Near my apartment I have seen:

1. dogs on leashes with their owners
2. dogs running around on their own with no leashes
3. a bee (once). Actually that was IN my apartment.

I think that's about all. I haven't even seen a cat here.

On the other hand, not too far from my apartment is a beautiful, pristine bayou that is there because the suburbs haven't reached quite that far. There are beautiful birds, and undoubtably snakes, fish, and alligators and so on in that swampy region. Rich, I'm thinking of the bayou around St. Rose.

Maybe in seven years or so I'll retire to St. Rose. It seems so peaceful and real estate there is less expensive, yet it's not far from the city either. If I do, I'll stay out of the swamp, though.

Carole C

john h on 6/27/02 at 09:59 (088586)

wendy: i guess my idea of Canda is just one giant forest with bears,snow,lakes,fish and Mounties in red uniforms riding around on horses singing. I flew into Churchill on a reglular basis and made the drive from the east coast across lower Canadian border through Niagra Falls. Seems like all my flights to Alaska from California were at night so I never got a good view of western Canada. One tree! I guess I should have known better as a lot of wheat is grown in Canada which requires plains.

Re: wildlife...

Suzanne D on 6/27/02 at 17:51 (088621)

Near my home are many dogs, horses, cows, rabbits, and ocassional coyotes and foxes which stir up the dogs at night. We are seeing a greater than usual number of spiders this summer, and I saw my first cricket of the season last night. Usually I associate the chirping of crickets in the basement with the beginning of a school year, so this was early for them.

It's funny: my mother never would kill a cricket, but would quickly pop a glass or jar over top of them and then stick a piece of paper or cardboard underneath. She would take it to the door and throw the cricket outside. I'm not sure why - some people say they bring good luck, or perhaps she just didn't like killing such a large insect - but whatever the reason, I have followed her example and do the same thing. My daughters have always laughed at me when I do this. Isn't it funny the habits we pick up from our growing up years?

I heard an old story once about a woman who always cut the ends of a ham before she baked it. When asked why, she replied that her mother always did. Curious, she went to her mother and asked why only to be told that HER mother had always done so. When they asked the grandmother why she always cut off the ends of the ham, she replied, 'Because my pan was too short!'

Suzanne :-)

Carole C in NOLA on 6/28/02 at 08:15 (088656)

Suzanne, I love that story about the ham! Thanks for cheering up my day.

I am the same way about killing larger insects... I just tend to chase them outdoors if I can. In the case of crickets, I have heard that they help in some way to control smaller, less desirable insects. That could be just an old tale, but I wonder if it's true? I do love the sound of crickets, because it reminds me of summers in my childhood (before air conditioning) when we would sit on the back porch at dusk to cool off, and listen to the crickets.

Carole C

Kathy G on 6/28/02 at 09:33 (088668)

Great story, Suzanne!

I live in a populated development in a small, rural community in NH. While other areas of town may see a great deal of wildlife, we see the usual; lots of birds, too many squirrels, chipmunks, occasional skunks and the neighbor's mangy cat. My brother-in-law, who lives way out in the country was complaining the other day because there's a new subdivision going in fairly close to him and woodchucks are devouring everything in his garden. He plants a huge garden every year and it's one of his hobbies so I hope he figures out how to get rid of them.

Over-development is a big problem around here. Every available piece of land is being developed so the wildlife is being displaced. One friend used to have a big garden with both flowers and vegetables. She gave up when the deer were getting more food than she was! Again, it was because of new construction near her. It's a fine line between progress and destruction of the character of the community. And don't even get me going on what they're doing to the wetlands!

john h on 6/26/02 at 09:19 (088486)

wendyn wendyn wendyn wendyn wendyn wendyn wendyn wendyn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wendyn on 6/26/02 at 10:24 (088489)

You are very funny guy John.

It's going to be 92 here today. I am off till Tuesday (I'm supposed to be spending some of my time studying on the deck).

Life is good!

Carole C in NOLA on 6/26/02 at 11:16 (088493)

What about all that gardening you wanted to do when it got warmer? How about this:

1. Study a little
2. Watch the plants grow a little
3. Doze in the sunshine a little
4. Repeat steps 1-3

Helpfully,

Carole C

Re: oh, I forgot...

Carole C in NOLA on 6/26/02 at 11:39 (088496)

Wendy! There, now you'll see the message. Read the one above which I forgot to 'Wendy'... thanks.

Carole

wendyn on 6/26/02 at 12:07 (088501)

Carole, I've been in the garden quite a bit. We don't have a realy big yard so there's only so much time I can spend out there. I will follow your suggestions as well as adding in

'Sip some ice tea'
'Watch the birds'
'Talk on the phone'

and for later in the evening perhaps

'Sip a nice cold beer'

92 degrees is pretty hot for here (I like it). I'm always amazed at how many people complain about it - I'll take it any day over -30. Considering we may only get a few days like this a year - it's okay with me!

Carole C in NOLA on 6/26/02 at 12:51 (088503)

Sounds wonderful! I like your additions to your schedule. Well, I've got to go back to work.

Carole

john h on 6/26/02 at 19:27 (088529)

Does your deck look into the forest Wendy? Mine does. On occasion I have my friends from the forest visit including fox, oppossum, racoons,etc. Last night a mommy raccoon and her 4 babies arrived to eat in my back yard and sometimes on the deck.

wendyn on 6/26/02 at 23:10 (088552)

A forest John??

No, Calgary has some nice treed areas but we are on the edge of the prairies. I have A tree in my yard. Just one.

We don't have racoon - but I have seen deer, porcupine and big jack rabbits in the neighborhood. Very rarely a bear or moose can wander into the city up the river - but not very often. There are a lot of cows not far from here. Can't see 'em from my house, but on the odd day you can smell 'em!!!!

Carole C in NOLA on 6/27/02 at 06:30 (088567)

You two sure have a lot of wildlife around! Near my apartment I have seen:

1. dogs on leashes with their owners
2. dogs running around on their own with no leashes
3. a bee (once). Actually that was IN my apartment.

I think that's about all. I haven't even seen a cat here.

On the other hand, not too far from my apartment is a beautiful, pristine bayou that is there because the suburbs haven't reached quite that far. There are beautiful birds, and undoubtably snakes, fish, and alligators and so on in that swampy region. Rich, I'm thinking of the bayou around St. Rose.

Maybe in seven years or so I'll retire to St. Rose. It seems so peaceful and real estate there is less expensive, yet it's not far from the city either. If I do, I'll stay out of the swamp, though.

Carole C

john h on 6/27/02 at 09:59 (088586)

wendy: i guess my idea of Canda is just one giant forest with bears,snow,lakes,fish and Mounties in red uniforms riding around on horses singing. I flew into Churchill on a reglular basis and made the drive from the east coast across lower Canadian border through Niagra Falls. Seems like all my flights to Alaska from California were at night so I never got a good view of western Canada. One tree! I guess I should have known better as a lot of wheat is grown in Canada which requires plains.

Suzanne D on 6/27/02 at 17:51 (088621)

Near my home are many dogs, horses, cows, rabbits, and ocassional coyotes and foxes which stir up the dogs at night. We are seeing a greater than usual number of spiders this summer, and I saw my first cricket of the season last night. Usually I associate the chirping of crickets in the basement with the beginning of a school year, so this was early for them.

It's funny: my mother never would kill a cricket, but would quickly pop a glass or jar over top of them and then stick a piece of paper or cardboard underneath. She would take it to the door and throw the cricket outside. I'm not sure why - some people say they bring good luck, or perhaps she just didn't like killing such a large insect - but whatever the reason, I have followed her example and do the same thing. My daughters have always laughed at me when I do this. Isn't it funny the habits we pick up from our growing up years?

I heard an old story once about a woman who always cut the ends of a ham before she baked it. When asked why, she replied that her mother always did. Curious, she went to her mother and asked why only to be told that HER mother had always done so. When they asked the grandmother why she always cut off the ends of the ham, she replied, 'Because my pan was too short!'

Suzanne :-)

Carole C in NOLA on 6/28/02 at 08:15 (088656)

Suzanne, I love that story about the ham! Thanks for cheering up my day.

I am the same way about killing larger insects... I just tend to chase them outdoors if I can. In the case of crickets, I have heard that they help in some way to control smaller, less desirable insects. That could be just an old tale, but I wonder if it's true? I do love the sound of crickets, because it reminds me of summers in my childhood (before air conditioning) when we would sit on the back porch at dusk to cool off, and listen to the crickets.

Carole C

Kathy G on 6/28/02 at 09:33 (088668)

Great story, Suzanne!

I live in a populated development in a small, rural community in NH. While other areas of town may see a great deal of wildlife, we see the usual; lots of birds, too many squirrels, chipmunks, occasional skunks and the neighbor's mangy cat. My brother-in-law, who lives way out in the country was complaining the other day because there's a new subdivision going in fairly close to him and woodchucks are devouring everything in his garden. He plants a huge garden every year and it's one of his hobbies so I hope he figures out how to get rid of them.

Over-development is a big problem around here. Every available piece of land is being developed so the wildlife is being displaced. One friend used to have a big garden with both flowers and vegetables. She gave up when the deer were getting more food than she was! Again, it was because of new construction near her. It's a fine line between progress and destruction of the character of the community. And don't even get me going on what they're doing to the wetlands!