Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

success stories?

Posted by Tom M on 6/25/02 at 18:39 (088449)

I haven't tried surgery nor ESWT, but have gone the orthotic/injection route. I'm making NO progress despite having stopped running. I still do the stairmaster at the gym(yawn) and bicycle without much pain. It seems to me that this is a almost always chronic problem. Does it ever go away? Are my running days completely over? I'd like to avoid surgery and eswt as the recovery period would not suit my lifestyle. Has anyone fully recovered from this?

Re: success stories?

J. King on 6/25/02 at 20:00 (088454)

I went for quite a few years with no problem and then the PF came back with a vengence. I know that any weight gain can really aggravate PF. Even 10-15 lbs can mean a big difference. As I got older it got worse and the remissions were shorter. Some of us just are unlucky. There must be some people who recover completely.

R C on 6/25/02 at 22:44 (088462)

Dear Tom,

My understanding is that the vast majority of cases fully resolve via conservative treatments. The folks who post here include many who have struggled with more stubborn cases such as yours. Even many of us recover, but at different rates.

Here's my story. I used to be a runner. Then, two years ago, I moved all of my furniture and stuff from my apartment to my new house. By myself. Ended up with baaaad PF. Went to one podiatrist, who made it 10 times worse. Fired him, went to pod #2, who only maintained the status quo. On my own (and from this site) I learned how to tape my feet to get through the day. Lastly I went to an orthopedic doctor. He put me in a cast for 4 weeks, then 4 weeks physical therapy. The therapist was superb. For several more weeks I continued taping my foot daily to protect the newly healed tissues. Now I am fully recovered, in the sense that I can make it through an ordinary day absolutely completely pain-free. I have elected not to go back to running (which might risk re-injury), but rather I swim daily for exercise. Swimming also helped me lose the 18 lbs. I put on from being inactive.

Don't despair, have hope.

BTW, none of this is intended as a slam against podiatrists, nor an endorsement of orthopedic doctors (fact is, I didn't spend more than 2 minutes with mine).

If stair machine or bike give you some discomfort (even a little), then (in my layman's opinion) that may stand in the way of your recovery. Whether you ever run again depends on what caused the injury (such as faulty biomechanics), and whether it can be fixed (e.g., via an orthotic).

My feeling is that you have such a stubborn case you will only get well if you find some combination of treatments and truly dedicate yourself to the program for as long as it takes.

Please keep in touch and let us know whenever you have questions or need a lift. You'll get there.

R C

Mar on 6/26/02 at 08:15 (088479)

Tom -

I think RC is right. MOST people recover from PF with conservative treatments. Those here are the ones who haven't. Those who have had successful ESWT aren't here either, for the most part, because when the feet don;t hurt, you forget that you have feet!! I had ESWT 5 weeks ago and am keeping my fingers crossed that I will be a success story. If I am I will be sure to continue to visit this site because I don't ever want to forget people who suffer with this horrible condition. Good luck -- Mar

Carole C in NOLA on 6/26/02 at 11:28 (088494)

What a great story, R C! It brought a happy smile to my face.

Carole C

Ron P. on 6/26/02 at 13:55 (088506)

To J. King...For really chronic PF try the fluid silicone orthotic that Dr Kiper (www.drkiper.com)prescribes,,,it helped me when nothing else worked. He will consult over the phone & if you pass he'll even give u a guarnetee...wort a shot...Good Luck Ron P. Sunnyvale CA

wendyn on 6/26/02 at 15:52 (088516)

Scott?

scott r on 6/26/02 at 16:44 (088524)

Wendy, if you're asking if it's a legit post, I think it is.

J. King on 6/27/02 at 07:03 (088570)

Thanks Ron

John K

Re: Many thanks

Tom M on 7/03/02 at 10:49 (089028)

Thanks for your responses, I guess I'll give that silicon orthotic a shot.

J. King on 6/25/02 at 20:00 (088454)

I went for quite a few years with no problem and then the PF came back with a vengence. I know that any weight gain can really aggravate PF. Even 10-15 lbs can mean a big difference. As I got older it got worse and the remissions were shorter. Some of us just are unlucky. There must be some people who recover completely.

R C on 6/25/02 at 22:44 (088462)

Dear Tom,

My understanding is that the vast majority of cases fully resolve via conservative treatments. The folks who post here include many who have struggled with more stubborn cases such as yours. Even many of us recover, but at different rates.

Here's my story. I used to be a runner. Then, two years ago, I moved all of my furniture and stuff from my apartment to my new house. By myself. Ended up with baaaad PF. Went to one podiatrist, who made it 10 times worse. Fired him, went to pod #2, who only maintained the status quo. On my own (and from this site) I learned how to tape my feet to get through the day. Lastly I went to an orthopedic doctor. He put me in a cast for 4 weeks, then 4 weeks physical therapy. The therapist was superb. For several more weeks I continued taping my foot daily to protect the newly healed tissues. Now I am fully recovered, in the sense that I can make it through an ordinary day absolutely completely pain-free. I have elected not to go back to running (which might risk re-injury), but rather I swim daily for exercise. Swimming also helped me lose the 18 lbs. I put on from being inactive.

Don't despair, have hope.

BTW, none of this is intended as a slam against podiatrists, nor an endorsement of orthopedic doctors (fact is, I didn't spend more than 2 minutes with mine).

If stair machine or bike give you some discomfort (even a little), then (in my layman's opinion) that may stand in the way of your recovery. Whether you ever run again depends on what caused the injury (such as faulty biomechanics), and whether it can be fixed (e.g., via an orthotic).

My feeling is that you have such a stubborn case you will only get well if you find some combination of treatments and truly dedicate yourself to the program for as long as it takes.

Please keep in touch and let us know whenever you have questions or need a lift. You'll get there.

R C

Mar on 6/26/02 at 08:15 (088479)

Tom -

I think RC is right. MOST people recover from PF with conservative treatments. Those here are the ones who haven't. Those who have had successful ESWT aren't here either, for the most part, because when the feet don;t hurt, you forget that you have feet!! I had ESWT 5 weeks ago and am keeping my fingers crossed that I will be a success story. If I am I will be sure to continue to visit this site because I don't ever want to forget people who suffer with this horrible condition. Good luck -- Mar

Carole C in NOLA on 6/26/02 at 11:28 (088494)

What a great story, R C! It brought a happy smile to my face.

Carole C

Ron P. on 6/26/02 at 13:55 (088506)

To J. King...For really chronic PF try the fluid silicone orthotic that Dr Kiper (www.drkiper.com)prescribes,,,it helped me when nothing else worked. He will consult over the phone & if you pass he'll even give u a guarnetee...wort a shot...Good Luck Ron P. Sunnyvale CA

wendyn on 6/26/02 at 15:52 (088516)

Scott?

scott r on 6/26/02 at 16:44 (088524)

Wendy, if you're asking if it's a legit post, I think it is.

J. King on 6/27/02 at 07:03 (088570)

Thanks Ron

John K

Re: Many thanks

Tom M on 7/03/02 at 10:49 (089028)

Thanks for your responses, I guess I'll give that silicon orthotic a shot.