Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Toe nail removed

Posted by Anthony P on 6/25/02 at 20:55 (088458)

Hi, I've had a big problem with my big toe getting infected from a ingrown nail. My nail must now be removed . Anyone here ever have this done??
Anthoy P :)

Re: Toe nail removed

Suzanne D on 6/26/02 at 14:49 (088509)

Dear Anthony,

Actually, I had both my big toenails removed 3 years ago due to fungus infection. However, they were quite loose, so it wasn't too big a deal. The podiatrist said he didn't think I needed a shot as they were so loose. So I suppose that is usually something they do before removing them.

I was prescribed some medicine afterwards but unfortunately it cost about $200 a month (needed it for 3 months) and was not covered by insurance (considered a cosmetic problem; I disagree!). I couldn't really afford that, so I didn't get it. They have grown back much the same; however, I have found that the best thing to help is to have shoes with a big enough toe box. I wore Birk sandals a lot after my PF began last summer, and now I wear SAS shoes with an insert. They don't press on my toenails, and that has really helped avoid pain and infection like I had before.

If you don't mind my asking, what kind of shoes do you wear? I'm not pushing SAS shoes, but I do know that they make them for men as well, and they are quite well-made. The extra room in the toe box area might give your toes relief, and if you wear an orthotic, they should accomodate that as well.

If you are interested and cannot find a store that sells them in your area, I have a brochure that came with my shoes that has a telephone number for the company. They don't advertise on the internet. I wouldn't mind mailing you the brochure to look at if you wanted that. You could e-mail me your address if you would like me to send it to you:

(email removed)

Good luck! I hope you find some relief soon!

Suzanne :-)

john h on 6/26/02 at 19:36 (088530)

Suzannne: two years ago I was cleaning our windows. The metal storm window was up and as I reached to remove the screen it came down and caught the tips of three fingers on my left hand. It broke the tips of all three but worse and much more painful it pulled out all three nails completely out at the quick. It was grusome looking and took the air right out of my lungs and I could not even say ouch. The Doctors call that 'de gloving' of the nails. At the emergeny room the doctor took the dangling nails and pushed them back under the skin (ouch)! they eventually turned solid black but low and behold after about 4-5 months all three nails grew back.

Re: Toe nail removed/ son has had two done recently

Tammie on 6/26/02 at 19:40 (088531)

Sorry that you have the toenail trouble also! My son has had two removed in the last 6 months! He had infection in both , Dr. would not remove till infection was pretty cleaned out which took some time.

He had alot of soaking in epson salt and white vineger, along with a squirt of antibacterial soap. He had to soak for a while then he had to blow dry them till they were dry completely! Then they gave him a oral antibiotic. After that they removed them .

When he went in they gave enough shots in his toe that he did not feel to much he said , but he also said pods know how to give the best shots! (He had one done from a family doc and that one he had to have redone!

Pain he said was there but after it felt ok ( he went to work that evening ) after the Pod said to take 2 days off. He is a teen but he said not to bad after it was done! Also he had after care with medicine on toe and they would keeppushing skin back. Doc said wider shoes would be best as he felt his shoes were to tight in toe area! I dont know if this will help but I happen to be surfing for a bit and seen this ! Thought i could just leave a brief message to you LOL look a book later! take care and hope it isnt ot awful bad!

linda a on 6/26/02 at 19:52 (088533)

hello anthony ! i had my big toenail removed a couple times by a doctor and then a couple times by myself . you see when i was into running my big toe would come up and hit the top part of the shoe causing it to turn ' black -n - blue ' . the official name for this condition is called runner's toe . well i sometimes would get it even if i didn't run . sometimes my toenail would be lose and sometimes not . the doctor would always shoot it up w/ numbing medicine so i wouldn't feel the nail be cut out . i think the painful part would be making sure the unprotected part wasn't step on while the healing part was going on . i was usually pretty clumsy and that meant i pretty much stepped on it . ha ha !!! i would like to take back those days of running and hiking over the days i have right now . it has been real HOT and HUMID here in kentucky . been waiting for a chance of rain to cool us off . i just read where you are going back to school to study computers . good for you . my sister has now discovered that she has p.f. and i told her not to let it get out of hand . i just wish there was a cure for the ones w/ chronic p.f. . i just can't believe that i am 37 yrs old and have to live w/ this pain for the rest of my life . i am sorry to go on w/ the pity party tonight ,but sometimes i guess it feels good to get it off my chest that my life was taken away from me . i felt robbed . then i think about the chaplain i used to talk to and think about how his life has change . my chaplain friend went to have a epidural /spinal injection ( i really don't know which one he had ) , well it caused a swelling around the nerves which then caused paralysis below the waist . i think why am i so upset at least i can feel my feet , even though they are in so much #$%&* pain . iam sorry again anthony about the ranting . linda

Carole C in NOLA on 6/26/02 at 19:55 (088534)

John, that is the most gruesome story I have ever heard.

Carole C

Re: Suzanne

Anthony P on 6/26/02 at 20:23 (088539)

I can only wear new balance sneakers I had to go a size larger for more room with orthotics . I will give SAS a try Thank You Anthony P

Re: Tammie

Anthony P on 6/26/02 at 20:50 (088542)

Hi, Thanks for the info , For me this nail has been like this since January
it would feel Ok for a week or so and come back with alot of bleeding , I soak it two times a day and keep it dry etc.
My best to you and your son :)Anthony P

Re: John...

Suzanne D on 6/26/02 at 21:35 (088544)

My goodness, John! That hurts just to think about it! I know that sickening feeling that takes your breath: I remember when I was in high school and was sewing on an old machine when the piece that held the needle broke, and the needle went through my thumb. It went in through the front of the nail and came out the other side of my thumb. It happened so fast, I couldn't make a sound as it took my breath for a moment. (Not that it was as painful as what happened to you!) I remember yanking out the needle before I had time to think about it. I somehow knew if I took the time to think, I would be too chicken to do it. So I just pulled it out and ran to the bathroom to pour an antiseptic through the hole in my finger. Amazingly, it healed fine. Our bodies can be pretty amazing in how they can heal (especially when it is nowhere near the feet!) :-)

Suzanne

Re: Linda

Anthony P on 6/26/02 at 21:40 (088546)

Hi, You dont have to say your sorry for ranting ,thats why we are here to listen and try to help . I'm 37 too I had alot of surgery to my left foot almost 8 monthes ago and I have to give up a carreer that I liked and been doing for 15 years. They say it takes up to a year to recover from P.F.surgery, But I notice other problems not just a toe nail . How does a very active person cope with these foot problems? Yes venting is good.
It hot hear in New Jersey too, My best to you and your sister Anthony P: )

nancy s. on 6/26/02 at 23:11 (088553)

john, i'm here on the board trying to get sleepy, and this is my bedtime story???

nancy

linda a on 6/27/02 at 00:04 (088557)

thank you anthony !!!!! -------- i am still praying for a miracle after having my surgery almost 2 yr ago . having p.f. sure has changed my life . when i first applied for a handicap sticker i cried , but now i don't think twice if i decide if i need to use it at the store . it is good to hear from you . linda

john h on 6/27/02 at 09:51 (088584)

Suzanne: When my wife heard the window fall her response was 'what are you doing?'. When I got to the Doctor's office I had to wait my turn. I had this silly idea that a lot of blood moved you ahead of the pack. How do they remove a toe nail? Is it removed for ever or does it grow back? Sounds like that should hurt.

Suzanne D on 6/27/02 at 12:58 (088599)

John, the doctor used some kind of tool and just 'yanked' the toenails out. They were loose, so it didn't hurt too much. (I never look at whatever a doctor is doing as it makes it worse for me to see it! My sister, on the other hand, always wanted to see everything and have it explained. She became a nurse.) He spoke of usually giving shots to numb the area, but I suppose he still used the same instrument to get them out.

New toenails grew in within a few months, but unfortunately the new ones also had the same fungus infection. To kill it, I need 3 months of that expensive medicine I wrote about - which would cost $200 a month - and is not covered by insurance. They classify it as 'cosmetic'. I wonder if their toenails bled and hurt if they would still just consider it cosmetic!

I still believe having a window fall on your nails to extract them sounds much worse!

Tammie on 6/28/02 at 21:06 (088727)

Thanks , I sure hope the est for you as they can be very troublesome! The second time around adam my son decided he wanted them permantly removed as he did nt care about vanity looks! He said it took forever as they gave him instrutions to do everyday and used some sort of med he had to put on and what ever. But the first thing they told him is get loose socks /white / and some shoes with a wider toe box as if you dont correct the things that causes them he may get others. He also told him it wasnt do to his nail clipping. Lots of luck!!

Suzanne D on 6/26/02 at 14:49 (088509)

Dear Anthony,

Actually, I had both my big toenails removed 3 years ago due to fungus infection. However, they were quite loose, so it wasn't too big a deal. The podiatrist said he didn't think I needed a shot as they were so loose. So I suppose that is usually something they do before removing them.

I was prescribed some medicine afterwards but unfortunately it cost about $200 a month (needed it for 3 months) and was not covered by insurance (considered a cosmetic problem; I disagree!). I couldn't really afford that, so I didn't get it. They have grown back much the same; however, I have found that the best thing to help is to have shoes with a big enough toe box. I wore Birk sandals a lot after my PF began last summer, and now I wear SAS shoes with an insert. They don't press on my toenails, and that has really helped avoid pain and infection like I had before.

If you don't mind my asking, what kind of shoes do you wear? I'm not pushing SAS shoes, but I do know that they make them for men as well, and they are quite well-made. The extra room in the toe box area might give your toes relief, and if you wear an orthotic, they should accomodate that as well.

If you are interested and cannot find a store that sells them in your area, I have a brochure that came with my shoes that has a telephone number for the company. They don't advertise on the internet. I wouldn't mind mailing you the brochure to look at if you wanted that. You could e-mail me your address if you would like me to send it to you:

(email removed)

Good luck! I hope you find some relief soon!

john h on 6/26/02 at 19:36 (088530)

Suzannne: two years ago I was cleaning our windows. The metal storm window was up and as I reached to remove the screen it came down and caught the tips of three fingers on my left hand. It broke the tips of all three but worse and much more painful it pulled out all three nails completely out at the quick. It was grusome looking and took the air right out of my lungs and I could not even say ouch. The Doctors call that 'de gloving' of the nails. At the emergeny room the doctor took the dangling nails and pushed them back under the skin (ouch)! they eventually turned solid black but low and behold after about 4-5 months all three nails grew back.

Re: Toe nail removed/ son has had two done recently

Tammie on 6/26/02 at 19:40 (088531)

Sorry that you have the toenail trouble also! My son has had two removed in the last 6 months! He had infection in both , Dr. would not remove till infection was pretty cleaned out which took some time.

He had alot of soaking in epson salt and white vineger, along with a squirt of antibacterial soap. He had to soak for a while then he had to blow dry them till they were dry completely! Then they gave him a oral antibiotic. After that they removed them .

When he went in they gave enough shots in his toe that he did not feel to much he said , but he also said pods know how to give the best shots! (He had one done from a family doc and that one he had to have redone!

Pain he said was there but after it felt ok ( he went to work that evening ) after the Pod said to take 2 days off. He is a teen but he said not to bad after it was done! Also he had after care with medicine on toe and they would keeppushing skin back. Doc said wider shoes would be best as he felt his shoes were to tight in toe area! I dont know if this will help but I happen to be surfing for a bit and seen this ! Thought i could just leave a brief message to you LOL look a book later! take care and hope it isnt ot awful bad!

linda a on 6/26/02 at 19:52 (088533)

hello anthony ! i had my big toenail removed a couple times by a doctor and then a couple times by myself . you see when i was into running my big toe would come up and hit the top part of the shoe causing it to turn ' black -n - blue ' . the official name for this condition is called runner's toe . well i sometimes would get it even if i didn't run . sometimes my toenail would be lose and sometimes not . the doctor would always shoot it up w/ numbing medicine so i wouldn't feel the nail be cut out . i think the painful part would be making sure the unprotected part wasn't step on while the healing part was going on . i was usually pretty clumsy and that meant i pretty much stepped on it . ha ha !!! i would like to take back those days of running and hiking over the days i have right now . it has been real HOT and HUMID here in kentucky . been waiting for a chance of rain to cool us off . i just read where you are going back to school to study computers . good for you . my sister has now discovered that she has p.f. and i told her not to let it get out of hand . i just wish there was a cure for the ones w/ chronic p.f. . i just can't believe that i am 37 yrs old and have to live w/ this pain for the rest of my life . i am sorry to go on w/ the pity party tonight ,but sometimes i guess it feels good to get it off my chest that my life was taken away from me . i felt robbed . then i think about the chaplain i used to talk to and think about how his life has change . my chaplain friend went to have a epidural /spinal injection ( i really don't know which one he had ) , well it caused a swelling around the nerves which then caused paralysis below the waist . i think why am i so upset at least i can feel my feet , even though they are in so much #$%&* pain . iam sorry again anthony about the ranting . linda

Carole C in NOLA on 6/26/02 at 19:55 (088534)

John, that is the most gruesome story I have ever heard.

Carole C

Re: Suzanne

Anthony P on 6/26/02 at 20:23 (088539)

I can only wear new balance sneakers I had to go a size larger for more room with orthotics . I will give SAS a try Thank You Anthony P

Anthony P on 6/26/02 at 20:50 (088542)

Hi, Thanks for the info , For me this nail has been like this since January
it would feel Ok for a week or so and come back with alot of bleeding , I soak it two times a day and keep it dry etc.
My best to you and your son :)Anthony P

Suzanne D on 6/26/02 at 21:35 (088544)

My goodness, John! That hurts just to think about it! I know that sickening feeling that takes your breath: I remember when I was in high school and was sewing on an old machine when the piece that held the needle broke, and the needle went through my thumb. It went in through the front of the nail and came out the other side of my thumb. It happened so fast, I couldn't make a sound as it took my breath for a moment. (Not that it was as painful as what happened to you!) I remember yanking out the needle before I had time to think about it. I somehow knew if I took the time to think, I would be too chicken to do it. So I just pulled it out and ran to the bathroom to pour an antiseptic through the hole in my finger. Amazingly, it healed fine. Our bodies can be pretty amazing in how they can heal (especially when it is nowhere near the feet!) :-)

Suzanne

Anthony P on 6/26/02 at 21:40 (088546)

Hi, You dont have to say your sorry for ranting ,thats why we are here to listen and try to help . I'm 37 too I had alot of surgery to my left foot almost 8 monthes ago and I have to give up a carreer that I liked and been doing for 15 years. They say it takes up to a year to recover from P.F.surgery, But I notice other problems not just a toe nail . How does a very active person cope with these foot problems? Yes venting is good.
It hot hear in New Jersey too, My best to you and your sister Anthony P: )

nancy s. on 6/26/02 at 23:11 (088553)

john, i'm here on the board trying to get sleepy, and this is my bedtime story???

nancy

linda a on 6/27/02 at 00:04 (088557)

thank you anthony !!!!! -------- i am still praying for a miracle after having my surgery almost 2 yr ago . having p.f. sure has changed my life . when i first applied for a handicap sticker i cried , but now i don't think twice if i decide if i need to use it at the store . it is good to hear from you . linda

john h on 6/27/02 at 09:51 (088584)

Suzanne: When my wife heard the window fall her response was 'what are you doing?'. When I got to the Doctor's office I had to wait my turn. I had this silly idea that a lot of blood moved you ahead of the pack. How do they remove a toe nail? Is it removed for ever or does it grow back? Sounds like that should hurt.

Suzanne D on 6/27/02 at 12:58 (088599)

John, the doctor used some kind of tool and just 'yanked' the toenails out. They were loose, so it didn't hurt too much. (I never look at whatever a doctor is doing as it makes it worse for me to see it! My sister, on the other hand, always wanted to see everything and have it explained. She became a nurse.) He spoke of usually giving shots to numb the area, but I suppose he still used the same instrument to get them out.

New toenails grew in within a few months, but unfortunately the new ones also had the same fungus infection. To kill it, I need 3 months of that expensive medicine I wrote about - which would cost $200 a month - and is not covered by insurance. They classify it as 'cosmetic'. I wonder if their toenails bled and hurt if they would still just consider it cosmetic!

I still believe having a window fall on your nails to extract them sounds much worse!

Tammie on 6/28/02 at 21:06 (088727)

Thanks , I sure hope the est for you as they can be very troublesome! The second time around adam my son decided he wanted them permantly removed as he did nt care about vanity looks! He said it took forever as they gave him instrutions to do everyday and used some sort of med he had to put on and what ever. But the first thing they told him is get loose socks /white / and some shoes with a wider toe box as if you dont correct the things that causes them he may get others. He also told him it wasnt do to his nail clipping. Lots of luck!!