Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

9 days post op.

Posted by kay on 6/27/02 at 16:17 (088615)

i just got the bandages off and seen my poor foot. a huge cresent shaped incision and 12 stitches. physicans asst, says it looks good...i guess i'll have to trust her on that one because it looked terrible to me.
they redressed it and told me to come back july 3rd to remove the stitches. also told me no weight on the foot for another 3 weeks! doc said 3 weeks after surgery now its 3 weeks from today......grrrrr. ok i'll do it. i will follow my doctors orders to the letter. only thing i am to do now is gently move my foot up and down so to keep the foot loose a bit. no stretching what so ever. and i am suppose to wear the boot thingy. i hate it too. my foot burns up in there. when i can wear a sock instead of the bandaging i think it will be better.
one day at a time. i'll keep telling myself that.
kay

Re: 9 days post op.

Tonya on 6/27/02 at 16:38 (088619)

Stay positive Kay. It will get better, i am sure. Just listen to your doc. I am seven weeks post op today, but it seems much longer. I finally weaned myself off of the crutches this week. I haven't been anywhere outside of the house, so I don't know if i will return to them or not. It just feels good to be off of them, so I completly understand your discomfort with the bandages and such. It is after all summer time. YUCK!! I have felt a little discouraged the past week with the fact that my left foot (I had surgery on the right), has flarred up again. Since surgery on my right, it has felt pretty good. My pod. warned me of this so I hope that as the right one heals it will take some of the stress off of it. It's weird, because my right one hurts but if i sit down for a while the pain subsides, but my left one gets stiff and stays sore. It is a new thing for me. Before surgery, they both stayed stiff and sore. I'd have to be sitting for days to get it to go away. In that sense I can for sure say that i am beginning to feel some relief. Also, a few weeks ago I posted that the outside edge of my foot hurt, but that has gone away. I was supposed to go to the doctor this past tuesday, but was ill, and am rescheduled to see him next wednesday. I will let everyone know what he says as far as physical therapy and such. Everyone who has posted has had a varying course of post-op treatment, and I am anxious as to what mine, if any will be. I've been out of town for a week, and this is my first opportunity to see how everyone is doing. It seems you Kay, and Dee are doing quite well, and I wish you continued progress. God Bless.

kay on 6/27/02 at 19:59 (088629)

it really helps to read some positive replies. i told the physicans asst. today that i was reading lots of bad reports on the internet. she said remember the ones that turned out good are out enjoying life while the ones not fairing so well are home sitting at the computer.
good luck in your progress it sounds encouraging. don't forget to post again. i need it.
kay

Sarah T. on 6/27/02 at 20:12 (088630)

Hey Kay - you take it easy. Don't be too anxious to be up and moving. You know you need to take this slow. It will all be worth it in the end. I had my surgery 12-21-01 so I'm 6 months post-op and I'm still recovering. I too stayed off my foot for weeks and I remember how hard it was. I am just now beginning to think that my surgery was a success. Apparantly I'm a slow healer but after suffering with this for so long I'm just glad to realize that there is a light at the end of the tunnel. I still have pain when I touch the actual incision (which sounds like it is shaped like yours) and my foot gets tired and sore when I've been on it a lot BUT I also have a spur/pf in my other foot and so I have it to compare to and the surgery foot is SO much better. I forsee myself having the surgery on it next year. Try to enjoy your time off your feet and do things that really matter rather than running around. I used my time to read, relax, and really talk to my loved ones, etc. All those other things can wait. Good luck to you! I pray for everyone with PF each night. ---Sarah

Dee on 6/27/02 at 20:40 (088631)

Kay,
As Tonya and Sarah said, stay positive and go slow!!! I know how frustrating it is when you are so anxious to jump back into the things you used to do but if you go slow and take your time it will be so much better down the road. Don't get discouraged because the doc said another 3 weeks. Just look at it like this - - every day brings you closer to the end result which is a healthy foot!! Everybody heals at a different rate and I know that it is very discouraging to read about all the failures. Your phys. asst. was right when she said that most people who succeed are off enjoying life. I am positive that my surgery is going to be a total success and I am starting to live my life again but decided to stick around these boards for a while to offer whatever encouragement I can to who ever might find it useful. Just hang in there and know that we care about you and are thinking about you. And even though you probably don't think so right now, you are encouraging others who may be considering surgery too. Just having the courage to go through this is something you should be proud of yourself for doing. Take care and keep us all informed about your progress.

kay on 6/27/02 at 22:03 (088640)

i have dealt with p.t. since i was 19. it progressively got worse through the years. the last year was nearly unbarable, too many pain pills is how i got through my work day. when i look back i don't know how i did it. if this surgery is a success i plan on having the other foot done too. i can't even think about that now. i will take it slow. i am hurting pretty bad right now. usually with a surgery each day gets better. its not that simple with foot surgery is it?
kay

kay on 6/27/02 at 22:05 (088642)

its funny i used that phrase just today talking to a friend. i told her how i was also fighting depression with this mess and i just couldn't see the light at the end of the tunnel. it certainly is nice to know its there and i'll find it.
thanks
kay

Missy B on 6/27/02 at 22:19 (088643)

Hi Kay - Please don't get discouraged as many of us either have conservative doctors or are slow healers. Before I had my surgery, my pod told me it could take up to a year to heal - I guess this depends on the extent of the surgery and your condition going into the surgery. He is a very conservative doctor and the course he laid out for me for my recovery is a slow one with lots of rest - but this is relevent to my general physical condition, the severity of my foot problem, the job I returned to, and what type of activities I hope to resume doing in the future. At 22 weeks, I am doing quite well, but I think that working in a hospital makes me very serious (or perhaps more paranoid) about my recovery. I have seen too many cases where a patient tried to return to normal activities too soon and ended up paying for it later. My goal is to have a pain-free Christmas season and I will do everything I can to ensure this. However, some things are out of our hands, so I also put my trust in God and try very hard to take care of my foot.
So please hang in there - your doctor probably has a reason why he wants you to take it slow - and I can tell you that the people I have personally spoken with who have had successful recoveries from this surgery all took it slow and easy for the first few months - and some of them are a couple years post-op with no return of pain. Just keep reminding yourself that you might be free of foot pain in a few months if you just have patience now. Take this time to read lots of good books, keep in touch with family, or enjoy the out-of-doors from your porch or deck. And of course, you can always spend time at the computer - that is how I found these boards - during my recovery, I spent hours just surfing the web because I just got my first home computer last August and have a lot to learn.
I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers and hope you continue to do well - just have patience - it has its own rewards. Keep a positive attitude and remind yourself that better days are just ahead. Take care.
Missy B.

Missy B on 6/27/02 at 22:40 (088644)

Kay - during the first few weeks following my surgery, my foot would often ache and sometimes I would get little shooting pains around my incision. My pod said that the pains were probably from the nerve 'firing' as it began to regenerate and not to worry - it would disappear in time - and it has. At 22 weeks, I only occasionally have the shooting pain around my incision and it only lasts for a few seconds, so I guess my nerve may still be healing. I also found out that my foot became very weather sensitive - it ached more on rainy days during my first few weeks - and today at 22 weeks, I am finding that my foot swells and aches more on very hot, humid days. So you may find that your discomfort may be related to the weather as you heal. Are you taking anything for your discomfort - I relied on ibuprophen to relieve my aches and for the most part, it worked pretty well. Take care and keep us posted.
Missy B.

Re: Sarah - I am right behind you in recovery

Missy B on 6/27/02 at 23:04 (088646)

Hi Sarah,
I had my PF/TT surgery on 1/11/02 so I am right behind you in recovery. From your post, we seem to be following the same course. I was off from work for 9 weeks because my job requires me to be on my feet most of my shift. I spent most of those nine weeks resting with my foot up and even after returning to work, I still come home and try to get at least 2 hours of uninterrupted 'off the foot' time before engaging in any evening activites. Like you, I read lots of books, did some cross-stitching, and spent time on my computer - anything to make the hours pass.
Today I can put in an eight hour day at work with a smile on my face, not tears in my eyes from pain. I still have some residual PF soreness, but this continues to lessen and my new orthotics seem to help also. My incision does not hurt so much when I press on it, as it tingles because my nerve is now lying just along the side of incision and must be just under the skin. It doesn't bother me unless I accidently bump it or kick myself while in bed. Yes, my foot will also ache if I have had an especially long day at work, but the 2 hours rest when I get home takes care of this and I am ready to go for a few more hours.
I plan on carefully selecting my activities this summer in hopes that I will be pain-free by Christmas. Having suffered from this pain for 6 years, I feel that a year's healing time is a small price to pay.
I hope you continue to do so well. It is nice to find someone who is at the same post-op period as I am, with whom I can share experiences.
Take care of your foot and I hope to see a post from you again in the future.
Missy B.

Tonya on 6/28/02 at 10:29 (088675)

Kay, Missy is very right. Stay positive girl!!!! I just wanted to share with you my uncle's experience with this. He had an open pf release on his right foot ten years ago. His insision on the bottom of his foot was quite extensive. Before I had my surgery I contacted him for advice. He told me that he felt surgery was the best decision he had made in his life. Before surgery he was depressed. He worked at a coal mine and was on his feet for hours a day. It was something he had to do, because he had a family to support. He no longer had control of the pain. It controlled him. We all know how that can be, don't we? He told me that the first few months after surgery were pretty rough. I actually remember him crawling up the steps to get into my Grandma's house and seeing the obvious pain he was in . This image actually kept me from having the surgery a couple of years ago. He said that it took a full year before he could actually say that he was pain free. A year is a long time, but how long have most of us dealt with this. If you look at it that way, it doesn't seem long at all. I must tell you too that he weighed about 300lbs before the surgery. The transformation that we seen in him was great. He lost weight and seemed happier, because he became more active. I too am battling being severly overweight and living with the pain. I got to a point 4-5 years ago where I just sat down and stayed. It hurt too much to walk. The best advice he gave me was to stay positive, because even though in the beginning it hurts like heck, it will get better, and in the end it will be worth it. I truly believe that if all of us who have just gone through this, can maintain a positive attitude, and heed doctors advice, we will get through this. I went and joined the YMCA recently and next week I meet with a trainer and I'm going to start working on getting this weight off. Although, I was not overweight when my feet started bothering me(it was during pregnancy), my weight has definately aggrevated the pf over the past few years. I am going to do everything within my power to get myself up and going again. I am only 29 and am too young to feel this way. Missy is right when she says some things are out of our hands. Just believe in the saying 'This too shall pass'. So keep your foot and your chin up. We are pulling for you.

Tonya on 6/27/02 at 16:38 (088619)

Stay positive Kay. It will get better, i am sure. Just listen to your doc. I am seven weeks post op today, but it seems much longer. I finally weaned myself off of the crutches this week. I haven't been anywhere outside of the house, so I don't know if i will return to them or not. It just feels good to be off of them, so I completly understand your discomfort with the bandages and such. It is after all summer time. YUCK!! I have felt a little discouraged the past week with the fact that my left foot (I had surgery on the right), has flarred up again. Since surgery on my right, it has felt pretty good. My pod. warned me of this so I hope that as the right one heals it will take some of the stress off of it. It's weird, because my right one hurts but if i sit down for a while the pain subsides, but my left one gets stiff and stays sore. It is a new thing for me. Before surgery, they both stayed stiff and sore. I'd have to be sitting for days to get it to go away. In that sense I can for sure say that i am beginning to feel some relief. Also, a few weeks ago I posted that the outside edge of my foot hurt, but that has gone away. I was supposed to go to the doctor this past tuesday, but was ill, and am rescheduled to see him next wednesday. I will let everyone know what he says as far as physical therapy and such. Everyone who has posted has had a varying course of post-op treatment, and I am anxious as to what mine, if any will be. I've been out of town for a week, and this is my first opportunity to see how everyone is doing. It seems you Kay, and Dee are doing quite well, and I wish you continued progress. God Bless.

kay on 6/27/02 at 19:59 (088629)

it really helps to read some positive replies. i told the physicans asst. today that i was reading lots of bad reports on the internet. she said remember the ones that turned out good are out enjoying life while the ones not fairing so well are home sitting at the computer.
good luck in your progress it sounds encouraging. don't forget to post again. i need it.
kay

Sarah T. on 6/27/02 at 20:12 (088630)

Hey Kay - you take it easy. Don't be too anxious to be up and moving. You know you need to take this slow. It will all be worth it in the end. I had my surgery 12-21-01 so I'm 6 months post-op and I'm still recovering. I too stayed off my foot for weeks and I remember how hard it was. I am just now beginning to think that my surgery was a success. Apparantly I'm a slow healer but after suffering with this for so long I'm just glad to realize that there is a light at the end of the tunnel. I still have pain when I touch the actual incision (which sounds like it is shaped like yours) and my foot gets tired and sore when I've been on it a lot BUT I also have a spur/pf in my other foot and so I have it to compare to and the surgery foot is SO much better. I forsee myself having the surgery on it next year. Try to enjoy your time off your feet and do things that really matter rather than running around. I used my time to read, relax, and really talk to my loved ones, etc. All those other things can wait. Good luck to you! I pray for everyone with PF each night. ---Sarah

Dee on 6/27/02 at 20:40 (088631)

Kay,
As Tonya and Sarah said, stay positive and go slow!!! I know how frustrating it is when you are so anxious to jump back into the things you used to do but if you go slow and take your time it will be so much better down the road. Don't get discouraged because the doc said another 3 weeks. Just look at it like this - - every day brings you closer to the end result which is a healthy foot!! Everybody heals at a different rate and I know that it is very discouraging to read about all the failures. Your phys. asst. was right when she said that most people who succeed are off enjoying life. I am positive that my surgery is going to be a total success and I am starting to live my life again but decided to stick around these boards for a while to offer whatever encouragement I can to who ever might find it useful. Just hang in there and know that we care about you and are thinking about you. And even though you probably don't think so right now, you are encouraging others who may be considering surgery too. Just having the courage to go through this is something you should be proud of yourself for doing. Take care and keep us all informed about your progress.

kay on 6/27/02 at 22:03 (088640)

i have dealt with p.t. since i was 19. it progressively got worse through the years. the last year was nearly unbarable, too many pain pills is how i got through my work day. when i look back i don't know how i did it. if this surgery is a success i plan on having the other foot done too. i can't even think about that now. i will take it slow. i am hurting pretty bad right now. usually with a surgery each day gets better. its not that simple with foot surgery is it?
kay

kay on 6/27/02 at 22:05 (088642)

its funny i used that phrase just today talking to a friend. i told her how i was also fighting depression with this mess and i just couldn't see the light at the end of the tunnel. it certainly is nice to know its there and i'll find it.
thanks
kay

Missy B on 6/27/02 at 22:19 (088643)

Hi Kay - Please don't get discouraged as many of us either have conservative doctors or are slow healers. Before I had my surgery, my pod told me it could take up to a year to heal - I guess this depends on the extent of the surgery and your condition going into the surgery. He is a very conservative doctor and the course he laid out for me for my recovery is a slow one with lots of rest - but this is relevent to my general physical condition, the severity of my foot problem, the job I returned to, and what type of activities I hope to resume doing in the future. At 22 weeks, I am doing quite well, but I think that working in a hospital makes me very serious (or perhaps more paranoid) about my recovery. I have seen too many cases where a patient tried to return to normal activities too soon and ended up paying for it later. My goal is to have a pain-free Christmas season and I will do everything I can to ensure this. However, some things are out of our hands, so I also put my trust in God and try very hard to take care of my foot.
So please hang in there - your doctor probably has a reason why he wants you to take it slow - and I can tell you that the people I have personally spoken with who have had successful recoveries from this surgery all took it slow and easy for the first few months - and some of them are a couple years post-op with no return of pain. Just keep reminding yourself that you might be free of foot pain in a few months if you just have patience now. Take this time to read lots of good books, keep in touch with family, or enjoy the out-of-doors from your porch or deck. And of course, you can always spend time at the computer - that is how I found these boards - during my recovery, I spent hours just surfing the web because I just got my first home computer last August and have a lot to learn.
I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers and hope you continue to do well - just have patience - it has its own rewards. Keep a positive attitude and remind yourself that better days are just ahead. Take care.
Missy B.

Missy B on 6/27/02 at 22:40 (088644)

Kay - during the first few weeks following my surgery, my foot would often ache and sometimes I would get little shooting pains around my incision. My pod said that the pains were probably from the nerve 'firing' as it began to regenerate and not to worry - it would disappear in time - and it has. At 22 weeks, I only occasionally have the shooting pain around my incision and it only lasts for a few seconds, so I guess my nerve may still be healing. I also found out that my foot became very weather sensitive - it ached more on rainy days during my first few weeks - and today at 22 weeks, I am finding that my foot swells and aches more on very hot, humid days. So you may find that your discomfort may be related to the weather as you heal. Are you taking anything for your discomfort - I relied on ibuprophen to relieve my aches and for the most part, it worked pretty well. Take care and keep us posted.
Missy B.

Re: Sarah - I am right behind you in recovery

Missy B on 6/27/02 at 23:04 (088646)

Hi Sarah,
I had my PF/TT surgery on 1/11/02 so I am right behind you in recovery. From your post, we seem to be following the same course. I was off from work for 9 weeks because my job requires me to be on my feet most of my shift. I spent most of those nine weeks resting with my foot up and even after returning to work, I still come home and try to get at least 2 hours of uninterrupted 'off the foot' time before engaging in any evening activites. Like you, I read lots of books, did some cross-stitching, and spent time on my computer - anything to make the hours pass.
Today I can put in an eight hour day at work with a smile on my face, not tears in my eyes from pain. I still have some residual PF soreness, but this continues to lessen and my new orthotics seem to help also. My incision does not hurt so much when I press on it, as it tingles because my nerve is now lying just along the side of incision and must be just under the skin. It doesn't bother me unless I accidently bump it or kick myself while in bed. Yes, my foot will also ache if I have had an especially long day at work, but the 2 hours rest when I get home takes care of this and I am ready to go for a few more hours.
I plan on carefully selecting my activities this summer in hopes that I will be pain-free by Christmas. Having suffered from this pain for 6 years, I feel that a year's healing time is a small price to pay.
I hope you continue to do so well. It is nice to find someone who is at the same post-op period as I am, with whom I can share experiences.
Take care of your foot and I hope to see a post from you again in the future.
Missy B.

Tonya on 6/28/02 at 10:29 (088675)

Kay, Missy is very right. Stay positive girl!!!! I just wanted to share with you my uncle's experience with this. He had an open pf release on his right foot ten years ago. His insision on the bottom of his foot was quite extensive. Before I had my surgery I contacted him for advice. He told me that he felt surgery was the best decision he had made in his life. Before surgery he was depressed. He worked at a coal mine and was on his feet for hours a day. It was something he had to do, because he had a family to support. He no longer had control of the pain. It controlled him. We all know how that can be, don't we? He told me that the first few months after surgery were pretty rough. I actually remember him crawling up the steps to get into my Grandma's house and seeing the obvious pain he was in . This image actually kept me from having the surgery a couple of years ago. He said that it took a full year before he could actually say that he was pain free. A year is a long time, but how long have most of us dealt with this. If you look at it that way, it doesn't seem long at all. I must tell you too that he weighed about 300lbs before the surgery. The transformation that we seen in him was great. He lost weight and seemed happier, because he became more active. I too am battling being severly overweight and living with the pain. I got to a point 4-5 years ago where I just sat down and stayed. It hurt too much to walk. The best advice he gave me was to stay positive, because even though in the beginning it hurts like heck, it will get better, and in the end it will be worth it. I truly believe that if all of us who have just gone through this, can maintain a positive attitude, and heed doctors advice, we will get through this. I went and joined the YMCA recently and next week I meet with a trainer and I'm going to start working on getting this weight off. Although, I was not overweight when my feet started bothering me(it was during pregnancy), my weight has definately aggrevated the pf over the past few years. I am going to do everything within my power to get myself up and going again. I am only 29 and am too young to feel this way. Missy is right when she says some things are out of our hands. Just believe in the saying 'This too shall pass'. So keep your foot and your chin up. We are pulling for you.