Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Are some people just prone to spurs on their bodies?

Posted by Dale on 6/27/02 at 22:05 (088641)

I am just curious. Are some people, for whatever reason, just prone to developing spurs on their bodies. I have three in both feet and one on an ankle. I'll admit I am 30 pounds overweight and have done aerobic dance and step aerobics for the past twelve years now but have friends who have done these same activties with me who are also at least 10 pounds overweight and have no problems at all with their feet.
My sister, who is 14 years younger than me and not overweight or doing these type of exercises has just been diagnosed with plantar fascitis of one of her feet as well. Do you think this could be hereditary?

Re: Are some people just prone to spurs on their bodies?

Dr. John Cozzarelli on 6/28/02 at 13:55 (088693)

Hi Dale:

You can be have a hereditary predisposition such as flat feet, or reducible high arch and have the ability to develop plantar fasciitis. Bone spurs usually form from friction cycles, such as shoes too tight and rubbing on the toes.

Dr. John Cozzarelli

Re: Are some people just prone to spurs on their bodies?

Dr. John Cozzarelli on 6/28/02 at 13:55 (088693)

Hi Dale:

You can be have a hereditary predisposition such as flat feet, or reducible high arch and have the ability to develop plantar fasciitis. Bone spurs usually form from friction cycles, such as shoes too tight and rubbing on the toes.

Dr. John Cozzarelli