Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Cortisone shots for Morton's Neuroma

Posted by Kelly L. on 6/30/02 at 12:18 (088818)

I have a Morton's Neuroma in my left foot. I've been getting cortisone shots for about a year, one every 3 or 4 months. They help a great deal and I'm wondering if I should continue with this treatment or if I am damaging the tissue inside my foot. I've heard conflicting reports on the dangers of local injections of cortisone. Also, my podiatrist doesn't think surgery is a good option. Is this kind of surgery usually unsuccessful? Noteworthy: in this same foot, I have had semi-unsuccessful hammertoe surgery (a piece of bone grew back in my middle toe as it was healing, thereby locking toe into a curled position and the toe does not bend.) The doc says this neuroma has nothing to do with the hammertoe. Is he accurate? Your opinions greatly appreciated. Thank you for providing this valuable web service. Kelly L. (age 36)

Re: Cortisone shots for Morton's Neuroma

Dr. John Cozzarelli on 7/01/02 at 05:20 (088853)

Hi Kelly:
Have you had an MRI or diagnostic ultrasound to confirm the neuroma? If it is a neuroma I would leen more towards sclerosing injections with 4% Alcohol. Usually a series of 7 injections spaced every two weeks helps stop the discomfort. IF the MRI came back a neuritis which is the acute stage of irritating the nerve I would inject with Dexamethsaone and B12.

Dr. John Cozzarelli

Kelly L. on 7/01/02 at 22:35 (088886)

Thank you for your response, Dr. Cozzarelli. No, my podiatrist wanted to send me for standard radiographs of the foot, but I haven't gotten them done yet. I will ask about getting MRI or ultrasound. Then I'll go from there. Thanks for the advice re: other injections. Very helpful. Glad I found this site.

Dr. John Cozzarelli on 7/02/02 at 05:38 (088900)

HI Kelly:

The X-RAY is going to only show osseous structural positioning of the metatarsals. If the gap is tight between the metatarsals it may be causing an impingement.

Dr. John Cozzarelli

Kelly L. on 7/02/02 at 10:28 (088925)

Thank you... I was figuring I needed something more than just x-rays which is why I was procrastinating on getting them done. Thanks again, Dr. Cozzarelli. You've been most helpful.

Dr. John Cozzarelli on 7/02/02 at 20:12 (088960)

HI Kelly:

I'm gald I could help.

Dr. John Cozzarelli

Dr. John Cozzarelli on 7/01/02 at 05:20 (088853)

Hi Kelly:
Have you had an MRI or diagnostic ultrasound to confirm the neuroma? If it is a neuroma I would leen more towards sclerosing injections with 4% Alcohol. Usually a series of 7 injections spaced every two weeks helps stop the discomfort. IF the MRI came back a neuritis which is the acute stage of irritating the nerve I would inject with Dexamethsaone and B12.

Dr. John Cozzarelli

Kelly L. on 7/01/02 at 22:35 (088886)

Thank you for your response, Dr. Cozzarelli. No, my podiatrist wanted to send me for standard radiographs of the foot, but I haven't gotten them done yet. I will ask about getting MRI or ultrasound. Then I'll go from there. Thanks for the advice re: other injections. Very helpful. Glad I found this site.

Dr. John Cozzarelli on 7/02/02 at 05:38 (088900)

HI Kelly:

The X-RAY is going to only show osseous structural positioning of the metatarsals. If the gap is tight between the metatarsals it may be causing an impingement.

Dr. John Cozzarelli

Kelly L. on 7/02/02 at 10:28 (088925)

Thank you... I was figuring I needed something more than just x-rays which is why I was procrastinating on getting them done. Thanks again, Dr. Cozzarelli. You've been most helpful.

Dr. John Cozzarelli on 7/02/02 at 20:12 (088960)

HI Kelly:

I'm gald I could help.

Dr. John Cozzarelli