Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

how to prepare for surgery...help!

Posted by rochelle on 6/30/02 at 21:54 (088842)

Hi everyone,I also posted this on the foot surgery forum-just in case you dont visit there..

I too am scheduled for surgery. I do not want to have the surgery until mid Sept. (after all of our summer vacation-I dont want to ruin our summer vacation with recovering from surgery).

In the meantime, this should give me plenty of time to prepare my hubby and myself and our household for this. I have a 2 story home. I am a housewife (the husband works). Our bedrooms are upstairs, But I am willing to stay on the sofa in the downstairs living room to prevent me from trying to use the stairs and have access to the kitchen when needed and it will help my husband to sleep at night if I am not laying next to him in pain, right? (there is a bathroom downstairs, no shower tho).

So, knowing ALL of this-how do I prepare my home, hubby and household for weeks (months) of recovery??? Any info can and will help and it will be taken very seriously. If anyone has any hints, pointers,ect it will help.

One of the things that I am thinking of doing is making a few meals in advance and freezing them (maybe have a menu plan made up). My next door neighbor will let me use his deep freeze. Is this wise or a waste of my time??

Maybe this info will help someone else besides me too.Thanks in advance. Feel free to reply or email me at: (email removed)

Re: Rochelle

wendyn on 6/30/02 at 22:08 (088844)

No - this is not a waste of your time!

Having pre-made dinners in the freezer will be a life saver for you. If you don't have one, consider buying a bar stool for use in the kitchen when you do have to be at the counter, and a sturdy stool or chair to use in the shower.

Carole C in NOLA on 6/30/02 at 23:29 (088851)

That sounds like a really smart thing to do. Even those PF sufferers that haven't had surgery might benefit by making and freezing a lot of meals ahead of time, while sitting on a bar stool or chair like Wendy suggests.

I love my shower stool, too. It really helped when my PF was so painful. Now that I'm more or less healed, I use it as a stool in my dressing room.

Carole C

john h on 7/01/02 at 19:27 (088874)

Best thing is to have a spouse who will wait on you hand and foot (pun) and give you all the love and sympathy you want! sure! now find me one of those!

Re: how to prepare for surgery...help!

Necee on 7/02/02 at 00:39 (088891)

Rochelle, what kind of surgery are you having?

Sounds like your thinking ahead for your recovery period.
If you plan on spending most of your time downststairs while you recuperate, I'd suggest that you have everything that you need there also. Like...phone numbers of family and friends, if you do crafts or have hobbys, then make sure those items are handy. Cooking meals ahead of time is a great idea, you can also buy some frozen entrees, and easy to prepare foods, like Skillet Sensations, Lean Cuisine, etc.
Make sure you have stocked up on laundry soap, and things that you will need for housecleaning. Have some good books or magazines to read.

Most important, don't dare try to navigate those stairs while your home alone.
I hope this is helpful in some small way.
I haven't had foot surgery but maybe some of the other posters will be able to give you some good advice.

All the best to you, and let us know how your doing.

Happy trails.....

Necee

rochelle on 7/02/02 at 09:30 (088913)

Thanks for all the wonderful advice. I am going to use it ALL-luckily, I have a stool to sit on (it is to sit on, right?). I think that the advance meal preparation will help out alot. We eat pretty healthy around here and Iam not one to by frozen food or meals. But, I did buy a Tilia FoodSaver to help me freeze meals in advance for those days to come. I still needt o figure out what will freeze well, and what will not.

I am also going to have a neighbor help me out by letting my dog out for me once a day too..

I am going to have the Endoscopic surgery (EPF)-thanks for wondering Necee.. My first surgery ever...a neighbor was wondering if there is a new lazer surgery, if so-I want to find it.

This may also be very good info for anyone else having surgery too so it anyone else has advice, speak up! please!

Re: Oh no, not another EPF

BrianG on 7/02/02 at 15:00 (088936)

Oh Rochelle, you may not like the door you just opened to this rat's nest! I had a failed EPF on my right heel, in 1999. I was very very lucky, as I didn't have any additional nerve damage. I did get some arch pain though, still have it today. Many Pods are getting away from the EPF's, just too restricted to see much! Sorry bout dat.

BrianG

rochelle on 7/02/02 at 21:24 (088973)

Brian,

what would you recommend besides the EPF?

Is there anything else that I can have done that will be effective without having a 6 to 8 inch slice on the side of my foot?? remember, it HAS to be covered by insurance.

Thanks for the advice..

Necee on 7/02/02 at 23:32 (088993)

Like Brian said, I sure hate to open this door....but....my cousin also had EPF over 2 yrs ago, she wishes she had never had the surgery. Her feet hurt just as much if not more. She bought her first pair of Birks last year in hopes of getting some relief. If I were you Rochelle, I'd keep asking questions, and try to talk to people who have had this done before. I realize each surgery is different as well as the Drs who perform them, so just do your homework friend, and hang in there.

Happy trails.....

Necee

Julie on 7/03/02 at 03:23 (089005)

Rochelle, I've just written to you on the Ask the Foot Doctors board about this.

BrianG on 7/03/02 at 07:06 (089009)

Hi Rochelle,

I, as a lay person, don't really feel quailfed to recommend a type of surgery for you. I can tell you that I had mine for the same reasons that you want yours. My doctor told me the pain would be minimal, and I'd be walking comfertably in a week or two. Wrong, the pain was BAD for a couple months (I have a low pain tollerance).

If I was going to go through it again, I'd go through the 'Surgery' section of this BB. Read, and go back 6 months, if possible. I think you'll see what is working, and what isn't. One thing that I would definatly do, if I went ahead with the EPF is ask the Pod for telephne numbers of patients he has cured with this procedure. If he can't come up with at least 3, RUN. If he does 100 a year, RUN. He will cut anyone who walks in the door. I'm sorry that I can't be moe positive about this procedure.

Regards
BrianG

PS: Going on a daily pain med regime, from a pain clinic, would be better than having EPF surgery that could leave you with nerve damage, including TTS.

wendyn on 6/30/02 at 22:08 (088844)

No - this is not a waste of your time!

Having pre-made dinners in the freezer will be a life saver for you. If you don't have one, consider buying a bar stool for use in the kitchen when you do have to be at the counter, and a sturdy stool or chair to use in the shower.

Carole C in NOLA on 6/30/02 at 23:29 (088851)

That sounds like a really smart thing to do. Even those PF sufferers that haven't had surgery might benefit by making and freezing a lot of meals ahead of time, while sitting on a bar stool or chair like Wendy suggests.

I love my shower stool, too. It really helped when my PF was so painful. Now that I'm more or less healed, I use it as a stool in my dressing room.

Carole C

john h on 7/01/02 at 19:27 (088874)

Best thing is to have a spouse who will wait on you hand and foot (pun) and give you all the love and sympathy you want! sure! now find me one of those!

Necee on 7/02/02 at 00:39 (088891)

Rochelle, what kind of surgery are you having?

Sounds like your thinking ahead for your recovery period.
If you plan on spending most of your time downststairs while you recuperate, I'd suggest that you have everything that you need there also. Like...phone numbers of family and friends, if you do crafts or have hobbys, then make sure those items are handy. Cooking meals ahead of time is a great idea, you can also buy some frozen entrees, and easy to prepare foods, like Skillet Sensations, Lean Cuisine, etc.
Make sure you have stocked up on laundry soap, and things that you will need for housecleaning. Have some good books or magazines to read.

Most important, don't dare try to navigate those stairs while your home alone.
I hope this is helpful in some small way.
I haven't had foot surgery but maybe some of the other posters will be able to give you some good advice.

All the best to you, and let us know how your doing.

Happy trails.....

Necee

rochelle on 7/02/02 at 09:30 (088913)

Thanks for all the wonderful advice. I am going to use it ALL-luckily, I have a stool to sit on (it is to sit on, right?). I think that the advance meal preparation will help out alot. We eat pretty healthy around here and Iam not one to by frozen food or meals. But, I did buy a Tilia FoodSaver to help me freeze meals in advance for those days to come. I still needt o figure out what will freeze well, and what will not.

I am also going to have a neighbor help me out by letting my dog out for me once a day too..

I am going to have the Endoscopic surgery (EPF)-thanks for wondering Necee.. My first surgery ever...a neighbor was wondering if there is a new lazer surgery, if so-I want to find it.

This may also be very good info for anyone else having surgery too so it anyone else has advice, speak up! please!

BrianG on 7/02/02 at 15:00 (088936)

Oh Rochelle, you may not like the door you just opened to this rat's nest! I had a failed EPF on my right heel, in 1999. I was very very lucky, as I didn't have any additional nerve damage. I did get some arch pain though, still have it today. Many Pods are getting away from the EPF's, just too restricted to see much! Sorry bout dat.

BrianG

rochelle on 7/02/02 at 21:24 (088973)

Brian,

what would you recommend besides the EPF?

Is there anything else that I can have done that will be effective without having a 6 to 8 inch slice on the side of my foot?? remember, it HAS to be covered by insurance.

Thanks for the advice..

Necee on 7/02/02 at 23:32 (088993)

Like Brian said, I sure hate to open this door....but....my cousin also had EPF over 2 yrs ago, she wishes she had never had the surgery. Her feet hurt just as much if not more. She bought her first pair of Birks last year in hopes of getting some relief. If I were you Rochelle, I'd keep asking questions, and try to talk to people who have had this done before. I realize each surgery is different as well as the Drs who perform them, so just do your homework friend, and hang in there.

Happy trails.....

Necee

Julie on 7/03/02 at 03:23 (089005)

Rochelle, I've just written to you on the Ask the Foot Doctors board about this.

BrianG on 7/03/02 at 07:06 (089009)

Hi Rochelle,

I, as a lay person, don't really feel quailfed to recommend a type of surgery for you. I can tell you that I had mine for the same reasons that you want yours. My doctor told me the pain would be minimal, and I'd be walking comfertably in a week or two. Wrong, the pain was BAD for a couple months (I have a low pain tollerance).

If I was going to go through it again, I'd go through the 'Surgery' section of this BB. Read, and go back 6 months, if possible. I think you'll see what is working, and what isn't. One thing that I would definatly do, if I went ahead with the EPF is ask the Pod for telephne numbers of patients he has cured with this procedure. If he can't come up with at least 3, RUN. If he does 100 a year, RUN. He will cut anyone who walks in the door. I'm sorry that I can't be moe positive about this procedure.

Regards
BrianG

PS: Going on a daily pain med regime, from a pain clinic, would be better than having EPF surgery that could leave you with nerve damage, including TTS.