Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

i have a question about shoes / sandals

Posted by linda a on 7/01/02 at 23:27 (088888)

been having alot of pain these days w/ my feet . i typically wear my running shoes w/ my custom made orthotics ( i have 3 that were made 1 before surgery and 2 after sugery ) . i just bought new pair of running shoes , the same brand that i am used to ( asics ) . what made me to buy a new pair was my feet aching , so i decided it was time . but the shoes were in good condition . the actual problem really exist in my feet , because the surgery did not fix my problem the fascia is as tight as ever . my question i can not stand wearing any type shoe right now and was wondering about BIRKS . i have a very high arch . i know that when i wear beach sandal around the house my feet ache, because i don't have the arch support . will that be the case w/ the BIRKS . i have heard the birks are expensive and i don't have money to blow . my feet cramp up really bad because the fascia pressing on the nerves . i also heard someone talk about Mephisto sandals . any help would be appreciated , thank you . linda (ky)

Re: i have a question about shoes / sandals

Necee on 7/02/02 at 01:03 (088893)

I wear Birks, they have helped me tremendously, but they aren't for everyone. I suggest you go try on a pair and see how your feet feel walking in them. You could make a decision on which pair you liked and then buy them directly from their website, they are much cheaper that way.
Birks have a molded footbed which craddles your foot, but also gives you the support where needed. When I tried on my first pair a year ago, I had immediate relief. I'm not cured of PF and probably never will be, but those shoes have allowed me to continue my job, and get me through the day.
I can't give you any info on Mephisto shoes, I've never worn them.

Hope you find something that works for you.

Happy trails.....

Necee

Missy B on 7/02/02 at 04:52 (088897)

Hi Linda,
I have had PF/TT surgery and I still wear my Birks. I wore them for years before my surgery and I still find them comfortable afterwards. I have even placed a soft orthotic (made by Triade and bought at a drug store) on top of the footbed in my sandals when I needed a little more support or a little more cushioning.
The most economical place I have found to buy my Birks is from QVC or HSN - the shopping channels on TV - if you get them. Or go to their websites on the computer and look up Birks under FASHION WEAR/SHOES. Most of my sandals have cost around $50-60 and with both places you get a 30 day money back guarantee, so if you get them and wear them around the house so you don't soil them, and they are not right for you, than you can return them.
I don't know anything about Mephisto shoes, although I have seen some positive posts here. I would like to try them, but again, they are very expensive and I live in a small town at least 3 hours from the nearest big city where the stores might be that carry these shoes.
Best of luck to you. I hope you find something to help your feet.
Missy B.

Re: Linda, here's a store address in L-ville for Birks...

Suzanne D on 7/02/02 at 07:50 (088906)

Hi, Linda! I'm in no way connected with this store, but I found it last summer after reading about Birks so much at this site. It's only been in Louisville about 15 months. I knew you lived there, so I thought I would pass along the information:

The Birkenstock Spot
at Richlawn Centre
4129 Shelbyville Road
Louisville, KY 40207

I hope it was o.k. to post this business here. As I said, I have no connection there, but since I knew you lived in Louisville, I wanted to let you know where you could find Birks. I think you can find a few styles in shoe stores other places, but this is strictly a Birk store. I hope you can go and try some on to see if they help you. I understand what it's like to have aching feet!

Take care, and good luck!
Suzanne :-)

john h on 7/02/02 at 10:07 (088921)

Linda I posted a website where you can view the Mephistos, I use both the Mesphito and Birk and at this point I am liking the Mesphito sandal better. They are viewed in women's and mens but I think women should also vist the men's sandals as some of them are certainly unisex. Womens sizes only go to a size 10 1/2 or 42 European. http://www.mesphitogreatlakes.com

linda a on 7/02/02 at 12:22 (088930)

thanks to all who have replied to my question . i have seen the birks store on shelbyville rd , but have not been in there . i guess i was afraid to be suckered into buying more expensive items for the feet . you see suzanne i went into the goodfeet store here in lou.,ky and bought $200 orthotic ( not custom -made ) thinking it would help my feet . yes , suffers will do about anything and spend about anything . ha ha !!! since reading about the mephisto sandals on this site , i almost want to buy them but i don't have the cash to throw on that type of sandal . i do hope to hear about john's and dave's progress in the future on this sandal . maybe will get lucky and see an AD in the SAM'S AD or BiG Lots for them . ha ha ha !!!! wouldn't that be nice suzanne . missy ----- when you put the orthotic inside the sandal does it slide around a bit .? i may try this trick to night . my work week is different this week . i will be going in tinight , wed, and fri . take care my friends . linda ( ky )

Suzanne D on 7/02/02 at 16:42 (088939)

Linda, I, too, went into the Good Feet Store in Louisville before finding this site. I didn't buy, but was seriously considering it but then began reading here at Heelspurs.com. I can understand why you bought them. We have to try something when we're hurting!

I did find the Birk store on Shelbyville Rd. after reading about them here, and those shoes really seemed to help for months, but then my feet changed or something happened, and they don't help much now. I would love to try on a pair of Mephistos, but like you, I am almost afraid to spend the money. But I think I'll have a look at them and at least see what they feel like. John has written about the heel being raised more than the Birks, and I am interested in that. I tend to think that is one of the features of the Birks that in the long run did not do well for me.

I called an 800 number and found that there are authorized Mephisto dealers in Louisville at the following places in case you decide to have a look at them:

Jean's (of Gene's?)
420 Broadway

HJ Redmon Exclusive Footwear
3933 Chenoweth Square

Knott's Shoes
5000 Shelbyville Ave.

I just wanted to pass along this information to you, Linda. I hope it cools off some for us here in Kentucky, don't you?!

By the way, you don't happen to wear a size 10 or 11 women's, do you? If so, I would be glad to mail to you a new pair of Birks (white)I bought on sale on the internet last winter, thinking I could wear them this summer. Let me know. Most women wear a smaller size than me, but I'd be glad to share them with you if they would fit.

Re: Linda - orthotics and Birks

Missy B on 7/02/02 at 17:12 (088942)

Linda - no, the orthotic I wear in my Birks is a soft orthotic made out of a thin yet firm foam material - it is bendable. I bought a brand called Triad just because that was what my drug store had in stock and I had already tried Dr. Scholl's which were not right for me. There are many brands out there - you have to experiment until you find one that gives you enought support but is still thin and soft - then it kind of sits right in the Birkenstock footbed when you have your feet in them. I did try just gel heel inserts, but they did not work either - I ended up losing one - must have worked its way out the back of the sandal. The 3/4 length stays anchored better because more of your foot holds it in place.
I also have custom made hard orthotics, but these do not work in my Birks - they slip around because they not ride in the heel cup as well as the soft orthotics. I wear my hard orthotics to work because they give me better balance for being on my feet most of my 8 hour shift, but when I come home, I like to change into my Birks to give my feet a rest - and I found the soft orthotic added just a little more support then the cork Birkenstock footbed.
I hope you are able to find a comfortable shoe - I am still searching for the perfect one for me - I sometimes wonder if it is out there.
Missy B.

Re: Thanks, John...

Suzanne D on 7/02/02 at 19:39 (088955)

Thanks for the website. I regret that the women's styles stop at a 42 since I am a 43, but, as you said, some of the men's look like the Birks which both men and ladies wear. The softer footbed and the higher heel sound better for me. I am interested in trying on a pair before school begins again in August. My lace-up SAS shoes with the inserts and socks get awfully hot on these summer days, and now that our school begins the first of August, we have plenty of hot days at the first of the year.

Please keep us informed on how your Mephistos are working for you. Thanks for sharing!

Re: Missy...

Suzanne D on 7/02/02 at 19:44 (088956)

Hi, Missy! Have you had a chance to try on the Birks with soft footbeds? They might feel good to you. Just a thought! I used to wear the Arizonas with the soft footbed. When I read about your adding a soft orthotic to your Birks, I thought I would mention this to you.

Take care!

Re: Re:Suzanne - soft footbed Birks

Missy B on 7/02/02 at 19:54 (088957)

Hi Suzanne,
No, I have not had a chance to try the new, soft footbed yet. I have seen them on the Germany website, but am not sure if you can find them in the stores yet. Did you order yours special? It is my impression that you have to order them from the factory in Germany. Do you know if there are any stores that may carry them - perhaps if there are stores here in the U.S. that have them, I could order over the phone. Would appreciate any knowledge you have about them. Thanks.
Missy B.

Suzanne D on 7/02/02 at 20:10 (088959)

Hi, Missy. Yes, the stores here do carry them - at least the one in Louisville where I bought mine last August had them in the Arizona as well as the Boston. I bought both of mine there.

Have you been to the Birkenstock Express site? I know they sell them there (That's not the German site.). Type in Birkenstockexpress.com (Don't click on what I typed as you will go to the German site whenever you click on the Birkenstock word here.)

I can give you the phone number of the Louisville store where I bought mine if you want me to. E-mail me at (email removed) if you need it.

Good luck!

Missy B on 7/02/02 at 20:25 (088961)

Thanks Suzanne - I will try the website. A friend here in MD. also gave me the name/phone number of a store in VA. that carries Birks. It would be a 2 hour drive away, but there is a big mall there, so I could do some shopping until my feet give out. If they do not have the deep footbed shoes, I will email you for the phone number of your store.
By the way, do you live in Louisville, KY? I have been down to Kentucky twice - the the Horse Park in Lexington and also to Church Hill Downs for the races - but not the big Derby in May. Thanks again for the info.
Missy B.

Suzanne D on 7/02/02 at 20:53 (088966)

Missy, I wanted to make sure and clarify myself: the SOFT footbed Birks are the ones I have in the Arizona and Boston and that I bought in Louisville. They have an added layer on top of the cork which makes them much softer than the regular Birks. The new DEEP footbed I have seen on the internet but don't know if they have in the stores. Whether or not the deep footbed come in the soft footbed as well, I don't know. Hope I didn't confuse you!

No, I don't live in Louisville, but it is the nearest big city to me - about an hour's drive away. I live south of Louisville out in the country. I live about 2 hours from Lexington. Lexington and Louisville are probably the best known places in Kentucky, of course. Much of the rest of the state is small town or rural although there are some other larger towns and cities as well.

Good luck finding the 'perfect shoe'! I know it is a long quest and one I haven't reached yet!

john h on 7/02/02 at 21:21 (088971)

Suzanne: I wear the Mesphito every day and once in a while will switch back to the birk. The higher heel is really noticable in that I like it. I cannot feel any place on the Mesphito that I can notice pressing against my pain area where the band of fascia attaches to the heel on the inside of the foot. After 5 days this sandal is about to make a believer out of me. I think that sandal I sent you a picture of would look fine on a lady. Looks just like an Airizona to me. Their instructions on fitting is not to buy them to small. You want at least a 1/2' from your longest toe to the front.

john h on 7/02/02 at 21:23 (088972)

I have a pair of Birks with soft footbed and have seen them in our stores. They are nice but at this point still not as commfy as the Mesphito.

Re: Re:Thanks for clarifying Soft vs. Deep

Missy B on 7/02/02 at 21:41 (088979)

Suzanne - I was not aware that there were 2 different types of footbeds - I will have to investigate this futher. The one I have seen on the internet is the blue microfiber deep footbed - I will have to ask about the soft footbed - sounds more like what may be comfortable for me.

I am from a small university town in the mountains of Western Md. and we have small shopping malls within 1/2 hour to an hour drive, but to find any selection of anything, I need to drive closer to the city - I am about equal distance from Pittsburgh, PA., Baltimore, MD. and Washington, D.C. - all about 2 1/2 hours away - so this makes finding the 'perfect shoe' a little bit of a challenge.

Thanks for letting me know that there are actually 2 different footbeds other than the original cork one.

Missy B.

Suzanne D on 7/02/02 at 21:43 (088980)

Thanks again, John. I had trouble accessing my school e-mail at home today; sometimes that happens. I later went over to school to do a few things and checked there. I got your message but was denied access to the picture. We have a proxy to filter out 'bad stuff' for the children, but unfortunately it also knocks out many commercial sites, etc. as well. But when I came back home, I found that you had posted the site on the board and I found your sandals by the name you gave. You are right: they do look like Arizonas. It would be so nice if they really DID feel good on me and I could get some before the new school year begins!

Glad to hear they are still working for you!

Re: Thanks John

Missy B on 7/02/02 at 21:47 (088982)

Thanks John for posting the mephisto website - I just requested a catalogue from them. I am most interested in finding an athletic or casual style shoe or clog that I can wear on my job at the hospital. I cannot wear sandals, so I am hoping they will have some alternative styles with the air cushion soles.

Missy B.

Missy B on 7/02/02 at 21:49 (088983)

John - have you tried any of the mephisto shoe styles other than sandals - either athletic or casual? If so, are they as comfortable as the sandals?

Missy B.

Re: summertime footwear

Carole C in NOLA on 7/03/02 at 08:05 (089014)

I think you are right that the style of Mephistos that John bought would look just as good on women as the ladies' styles do, Suzanne.

It would be wonderful if they worked for you! I am hoping that by resting your feet a lot this summer, maybe you will be able to wear your Birkenstocks by late August too. But you never know; feet are so temperamental.

I'm still doing fine with my NB 991's, although I don't know if it's the shoe or just the fact that I've healed a lot by now. I have a closet full of Birkenstocks left over from last winter's PF misery, to wear when/if I want to wear them.

I am feeling better most of the time, although just when I think I'm done with this my feet will let me know that I'm not. This week the stress of not knowing yet if I can get a mortgage and what kind of house I should get, has been causing my arches to cramp up a bit. Leave it to a heelspurs.com regular to focus her stress in her feet! LOL

Carole C

Suzanne D on 7/03/02 at 18:44 (089054)

Hi, Carole! When will you know about whether you are approved for the mortgage? I wish you luck with this venture! I know you are excited and understandably nervous about it. Isn't it something how our feet can be affected by such things?

You're right: feet can be so temperamental! When I think I just can't stand these lace-up shoes in the heat any longer, I put on my Arizonas for a few minutes here in the house. Sometimes I wear them with socks as they feel more comfortable that way.

Now my hands are feeling more stiff and achy. I went in Februrary to my doctor who didn't think arthritis was much of an issue, but I wonder...I always thought cool, damp days would make arthritis flare up more, but here it is with a heat index of over 100 every day, and my feet and hands are stiff. I had let up a little on taking the Naproxin, so I am taking it again and hoping that will help.

Stay cool there, and I will be watching for news about your house possiblities!

Carole C in NOLA on 7/03/02 at 22:01 (089075)

I just found out this afternoon! I'm approved, at 6.58%. With today's low interest rates, I can buy a very nice house so I am celebrating tonight! Now that the stress is over, I'm hoping my feet behave.

I agree that socks make Birkenstocks much more comfy, and the thicker the socks the better.

It must be hard to play the piano with stiff achy hands.

When I got arthritis, the pain came before there were definite physical signs (like a bad looking x-ray, and so on). So my doctor said I didn't have it for the first few years, but that's what it was. If what you have is arthritis, it will eventually get bad enough that your doctor can diagnose it.

Then, there are of a plethora of wonderful arthritis miracle drugs, like the Celebrex that has helped me so much, and many others. Thank goodness it's not like it was twenty years ago, when there was nothing much that could be done about arthritis except to take pain pills.

Carole C

Re: Congrats

wendyn on 7/03/02 at 23:29 (089080)

Let me be the first person to say Congratulations Carole!

Suzanne D on 7/04/02 at 07:45 (089089)

And I'll be the second, Carole! That is wonderful news!! I look forward to reading about the home you select and your new furnishings and other such things as time goes by. This was good news to read to start my day!

I am heading over to my school now. I will be teaching a one-week summer school next week. I decided to do that to pay for my daughter's wedding dress. I like to have goals to work toward as it helps me get motivated to get up and going...Of course you all know me well enough by now to know that I will love it when I get there with the children! :-)

Actually, we will have small classes (10 or less) and are to concentrate on reading (my favorite), so I will have a good week. I am to have those who will be going into first grade. These are the ones who were determined to need some extra help after kindergarten, so if I can accomplish their having a good feeling about school and wanting to begin first grade, I will feel my week has been worthwhile.

We're going to work on a short vowel a day - a on Monday, e on Tuesday, etc. I have a 'picnic' planned for each day - in the bAckyard on Monday, under a tEnt on Tuesday, etc.

Well, I started out writing about YOU, not me! Sorry; you know when I start writing about school what always happens...

Congratulations, again!

john h on 7/04/02 at 08:21 (089096)

When you get that house Carole send me your address as I have some things you can decorate with. How about one room with old orthorics and shoes that did not work hanging from the walls and ceiling. If we all send you some of the things that we tried and did not work you could have one room as a foot museum.

Kathy G on 7/04/02 at 08:45 (089098)

What a terrific idea, John! Carole, I know you're looking for a small place but make sure that you have at least one room you can dub as the 'foot museum'. I can see it now, orthotics, padded sox, shoes, tape. The list just goes on and on! It will be a room that even Imelda Marcos could enjoy!

Suzanne D on 7/04/02 at 09:52 (089103)

You could advertise and tell people you will trade a pair of shoes or roll of tape, etc. for some light bulbs, canned goods, something for the house. :-) Then you could charge a small admission fee for dispensing advice on foot troubles.

I'm getting silly; I'd better get back to work here in my room! I just stopped to sit down for a few minutes and started reading the board.

Re: Congrats to Carole

Missy B on 7/04/02 at 16:49 (089126)

How great that you have been approved for your loan - now good luck on finding just the right house.

A 'foot museum', a swap shop, a consulting booth for feet problems (remember Lucy and her 'Advice' booth in the comic strip Peanuts) -- well, I guess they might be good ways to meet your new neighbors. Now I am getting sillier than Suzanne - but it has been a long day at work, the temperature at 6pm is 91 and my brain and body are just about wiped out.

So, happy house hunting - let us know how it goes and what you find out there on the market.

Missy B.

Carole C in NOLA on 7/04/02 at 17:37 (089130)

John, since there's only one of me and these houses all come with 3 or more bedrooms, plus other unused rooms, I'll have plenty of space for a foot museum. :)

They all seem to have several HUGE walk-in closets, so I'll have plenty of space for my Birkenstock 'collection'.

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 7/04/02 at 17:42 (089131)

Thanks, Missy, Suzanne, Kathy, John, Wendy, and everyone! I am so happy. Now, if only I can find the right house.

Stable ground under it, not overly prone to flooding, and location location location... plus, I want an uncomplicated floorplan with a den or a living room, but not both, lots of light from the windows, and more. I'm so picky! :)

Carole

john h on 7/04/02 at 17:47 (089133)

Suzanne: I was in Barnes & Nobel today and my unofficial count is that about 70% of the patrons had on sandals.

jonna p on 8/29/02 at 11:19 (093873)

I found a French website where they sell Mephistos at about a 33% discount after the exchange rate is taken into account. Very nice fellow will respond to your email questions. The site is http://www.mephisto-shop.com . Good luck.

Necee on 7/02/02 at 01:03 (088893)

I wear Birks, they have helped me tremendously, but they aren't for everyone. I suggest you go try on a pair and see how your feet feel walking in them. You could make a decision on which pair you liked and then buy them directly from their website, they are much cheaper that way.
Birks have a molded footbed which craddles your foot, but also gives you the support where needed. When I tried on my first pair a year ago, I had immediate relief. I'm not cured of PF and probably never will be, but those shoes have allowed me to continue my job, and get me through the day.
I can't give you any info on Mephisto shoes, I've never worn them.

Hope you find something that works for you.

Happy trails.....

Necee

Missy B on 7/02/02 at 04:52 (088897)

Hi Linda,
I have had PF/TT surgery and I still wear my Birks. I wore them for years before my surgery and I still find them comfortable afterwards. I have even placed a soft orthotic (made by Triade and bought at a drug store) on top of the footbed in my sandals when I needed a little more support or a little more cushioning.
The most economical place I have found to buy my Birks is from QVC or HSN - the shopping channels on TV - if you get them. Or go to their websites on the computer and look up Birks under FASHION WEAR/SHOES. Most of my sandals have cost around $50-60 and with both places you get a 30 day money back guarantee, so if you get them and wear them around the house so you don't soil them, and they are not right for you, than you can return them.
I don't know anything about Mephisto shoes, although I have seen some positive posts here. I would like to try them, but again, they are very expensive and I live in a small town at least 3 hours from the nearest big city where the stores might be that carry these shoes.
Best of luck to you. I hope you find something to help your feet.
Missy B.

Re: Linda, here's a store address in L-ville for Birks...

Suzanne D on 7/02/02 at 07:50 (088906)

Hi, Linda! I'm in no way connected with this store, but I found it last summer after reading about Birks so much at this site. It's only been in Louisville about 15 months. I knew you lived there, so I thought I would pass along the information:

The Birkenstock Spot
at Richlawn Centre
4129 Shelbyville Road
Louisville, KY 40207

I hope it was o.k. to post this business here. As I said, I have no connection there, but since I knew you lived in Louisville, I wanted to let you know where you could find Birks. I think you can find a few styles in shoe stores other places, but this is strictly a Birk store. I hope you can go and try some on to see if they help you. I understand what it's like to have aching feet!

Take care, and good luck!

john h on 7/02/02 at 10:07 (088921)

Linda I posted a website where you can view the Mephistos, I use both the Mesphito and Birk and at this point I am liking the Mesphito sandal better. They are viewed in women's and mens but I think women should also vist the men's sandals as some of them are certainly unisex. Womens sizes only go to a size 10 1/2 or 42 European. http://www.mesphitogreatlakes.com

linda a on 7/02/02 at 12:22 (088930)

thanks to all who have replied to my question . i have seen the birks store on shelbyville rd , but have not been in there . i guess i was afraid to be suckered into buying more expensive items for the feet . you see suzanne i went into the goodfeet store here in lou.,ky and bought $200 orthotic ( not custom -made ) thinking it would help my feet . yes , suffers will do about anything and spend about anything . ha ha !!! since reading about the mephisto sandals on this site , i almost want to buy them but i don't have the cash to throw on that type of sandal . i do hope to hear about john's and dave's progress in the future on this sandal . maybe will get lucky and see an AD in the SAM'S AD or BiG Lots for them . ha ha ha !!!! wouldn't that be nice suzanne . missy ----- when you put the orthotic inside the sandal does it slide around a bit .? i may try this trick to night . my work week is different this week . i will be going in tinight , wed, and fri . take care my friends . linda ( ky )

Suzanne D on 7/02/02 at 16:42 (088939)

Linda, I, too, went into the Good Feet Store in Louisville before finding this site. I didn't buy, but was seriously considering it but then began reading here at Heelspurs.com. I can understand why you bought them. We have to try something when we're hurting!

I did find the Birk store on Shelbyville Rd. after reading about them here, and those shoes really seemed to help for months, but then my feet changed or something happened, and they don't help much now. I would love to try on a pair of Mephistos, but like you, I am almost afraid to spend the money. But I think I'll have a look at them and at least see what they feel like. John has written about the heel being raised more than the Birks, and I am interested in that. I tend to think that is one of the features of the Birks that in the long run did not do well for me.

I called an 800 number and found that there are authorized Mephisto dealers in Louisville at the following places in case you decide to have a look at them:

Jean's (of Gene's?)
420 Broadway

HJ Redmon Exclusive Footwear
3933 Chenoweth Square

Knott's Shoes
5000 Shelbyville Ave.

I just wanted to pass along this information to you, Linda. I hope it cools off some for us here in Kentucky, don't you?!

By the way, you don't happen to wear a size 10 or 11 women's, do you? If so, I would be glad to mail to you a new pair of Birks (white)I bought on sale on the internet last winter, thinking I could wear them this summer. Let me know. Most women wear a smaller size than me, but I'd be glad to share them with you if they would fit.

Re: Linda - orthotics and Birks

Missy B on 7/02/02 at 17:12 (088942)

Linda - no, the orthotic I wear in my Birks is a soft orthotic made out of a thin yet firm foam material - it is bendable. I bought a brand called Triad just because that was what my drug store had in stock and I had already tried Dr. Scholl's which were not right for me. There are many brands out there - you have to experiment until you find one that gives you enought support but is still thin and soft - then it kind of sits right in the Birkenstock footbed when you have your feet in them. I did try just gel heel inserts, but they did not work either - I ended up losing one - must have worked its way out the back of the sandal. The 3/4 length stays anchored better because more of your foot holds it in place.
I also have custom made hard orthotics, but these do not work in my Birks - they slip around because they not ride in the heel cup as well as the soft orthotics. I wear my hard orthotics to work because they give me better balance for being on my feet most of my 8 hour shift, but when I come home, I like to change into my Birks to give my feet a rest - and I found the soft orthotic added just a little more support then the cork Birkenstock footbed.
I hope you are able to find a comfortable shoe - I am still searching for the perfect one for me - I sometimes wonder if it is out there.
Missy B.

Suzanne D on 7/02/02 at 19:39 (088955)

Thanks for the website. I regret that the women's styles stop at a 42 since I am a 43, but, as you said, some of the men's look like the Birks which both men and ladies wear. The softer footbed and the higher heel sound better for me. I am interested in trying on a pair before school begins again in August. My lace-up SAS shoes with the inserts and socks get awfully hot on these summer days, and now that our school begins the first of August, we have plenty of hot days at the first of the year.

Please keep us informed on how your Mephistos are working for you. Thanks for sharing!

Re: Missy...

Suzanne D on 7/02/02 at 19:44 (088956)

Hi, Missy! Have you had a chance to try on the Birks with soft footbeds? They might feel good to you. Just a thought! I used to wear the Arizonas with the soft footbed. When I read about your adding a soft orthotic to your Birks, I thought I would mention this to you.

Take care!

Missy B on 7/02/02 at 19:54 (088957)

Hi Suzanne,
No, I have not had a chance to try the new, soft footbed yet. I have seen them on the Germany website, but am not sure if you can find them in the stores yet. Did you order yours special? It is my impression that you have to order them from the factory in Germany. Do you know if there are any stores that may carry them - perhaps if there are stores here in the U.S. that have them, I could order over the phone. Would appreciate any knowledge you have about them. Thanks.
Missy B.

Suzanne D on 7/02/02 at 20:10 (088959)

Hi, Missy. Yes, the stores here do carry them - at least the one in Louisville where I bought mine last August had them in the Arizona as well as the Boston. I bought both of mine there.

Have you been to the Birkenstock Express site? I know they sell them there (That's not the German site.). Type in Birkenstockexpress.com (Don't click on what I typed as you will go to the German site whenever you click on the Birkenstock word here.)

I can give you the phone number of the Louisville store where I bought mine if you want me to. E-mail me at (email removed) if you need it.

Good luck!

Missy B on 7/02/02 at 20:25 (088961)

Thanks Suzanne - I will try the website. A friend here in MD. also gave me the name/phone number of a store in VA. that carries Birks. It would be a 2 hour drive away, but there is a big mall there, so I could do some shopping until my feet give out. If they do not have the deep footbed shoes, I will email you for the phone number of your store.
By the way, do you live in Louisville, KY? I have been down to Kentucky twice - the the Horse Park in Lexington and also to Church Hill Downs for the races - but not the big Derby in May. Thanks again for the info.
Missy B.

Suzanne D on 7/02/02 at 20:53 (088966)

Missy, I wanted to make sure and clarify myself: the SOFT footbed Birks are the ones I have in the Arizona and Boston and that I bought in Louisville. They have an added layer on top of the cork which makes them much softer than the regular Birks. The new DEEP footbed I have seen on the internet but don't know if they have in the stores. Whether or not the deep footbed come in the soft footbed as well, I don't know. Hope I didn't confuse you!

No, I don't live in Louisville, but it is the nearest big city to me - about an hour's drive away. I live south of Louisville out in the country. I live about 2 hours from Lexington. Lexington and Louisville are probably the best known places in Kentucky, of course. Much of the rest of the state is small town or rural although there are some other larger towns and cities as well.

Good luck finding the 'perfect shoe'! I know it is a long quest and one I haven't reached yet!

john h on 7/02/02 at 21:21 (088971)

Suzanne: I wear the Mesphito every day and once in a while will switch back to the birk. The higher heel is really noticable in that I like it. I cannot feel any place on the Mesphito that I can notice pressing against my pain area where the band of fascia attaches to the heel on the inside of the foot. After 5 days this sandal is about to make a believer out of me. I think that sandal I sent you a picture of would look fine on a lady. Looks just like an Airizona to me. Their instructions on fitting is not to buy them to small. You want at least a 1/2' from your longest toe to the front.

john h on 7/02/02 at 21:23 (088972)

I have a pair of Birks with soft footbed and have seen them in our stores. They are nice but at this point still not as commfy as the Mesphito.

Re: Re:Thanks for clarifying Soft vs. Deep

Missy B on 7/02/02 at 21:41 (088979)

Suzanne - I was not aware that there were 2 different types of footbeds - I will have to investigate this futher. The one I have seen on the internet is the blue microfiber deep footbed - I will have to ask about the soft footbed - sounds more like what may be comfortable for me.

I am from a small university town in the mountains of Western Md. and we have small shopping malls within 1/2 hour to an hour drive, but to find any selection of anything, I need to drive closer to the city - I am about equal distance from Pittsburgh, PA., Baltimore, MD. and Washington, D.C. - all about 2 1/2 hours away - so this makes finding the 'perfect shoe' a little bit of a challenge.

Thanks for letting me know that there are actually 2 different footbeds other than the original cork one.

Missy B.

Suzanne D on 7/02/02 at 21:43 (088980)

Thanks again, John. I had trouble accessing my school e-mail at home today; sometimes that happens. I later went over to school to do a few things and checked there. I got your message but was denied access to the picture. We have a proxy to filter out 'bad stuff' for the children, but unfortunately it also knocks out many commercial sites, etc. as well. But when I came back home, I found that you had posted the site on the board and I found your sandals by the name you gave. You are right: they do look like Arizonas. It would be so nice if they really DID feel good on me and I could get some before the new school year begins!

Glad to hear they are still working for you!

Re: Thanks John

Missy B on 7/02/02 at 21:47 (088982)

Thanks John for posting the mephisto website - I just requested a catalogue from them. I am most interested in finding an athletic or casual style shoe or clog that I can wear on my job at the hospital. I cannot wear sandals, so I am hoping they will have some alternative styles with the air cushion soles.

Missy B.

Missy B on 7/02/02 at 21:49 (088983)

John - have you tried any of the mephisto shoe styles other than sandals - either athletic or casual? If so, are they as comfortable as the sandals?

Missy B.

Carole C in NOLA on 7/03/02 at 08:05 (089014)

I think you are right that the style of Mephistos that John bought would look just as good on women as the ladies' styles do, Suzanne.

It would be wonderful if they worked for you! I am hoping that by resting your feet a lot this summer, maybe you will be able to wear your Birkenstocks by late August too. But you never know; feet are so temperamental.

I'm still doing fine with my NB 991's, although I don't know if it's the shoe or just the fact that I've healed a lot by now. I have a closet full of Birkenstocks left over from last winter's PF misery, to wear when/if I want to wear them.

I am feeling better most of the time, although just when I think I'm done with this my feet will let me know that I'm not. This week the stress of not knowing yet if I can get a mortgage and what kind of house I should get, has been causing my arches to cramp up a bit. Leave it to a heelspurs.com regular to focus her stress in her feet! LOL

Carole C

Suzanne D on 7/03/02 at 18:44 (089054)

Hi, Carole! When will you know about whether you are approved for the mortgage? I wish you luck with this venture! I know you are excited and understandably nervous about it. Isn't it something how our feet can be affected by such things?

You're right: feet can be so temperamental! When I think I just can't stand these lace-up shoes in the heat any longer, I put on my Arizonas for a few minutes here in the house. Sometimes I wear them with socks as they feel more comfortable that way.

Now my hands are feeling more stiff and achy. I went in Februrary to my doctor who didn't think arthritis was much of an issue, but I wonder...I always thought cool, damp days would make arthritis flare up more, but here it is with a heat index of over 100 every day, and my feet and hands are stiff. I had let up a little on taking the Naproxin, so I am taking it again and hoping that will help.

Stay cool there, and I will be watching for news about your house possiblities!

Carole C in NOLA on 7/03/02 at 22:01 (089075)

I just found out this afternoon! I'm approved, at 6.58%. With today's low interest rates, I can buy a very nice house so I am celebrating tonight! Now that the stress is over, I'm hoping my feet behave.

I agree that socks make Birkenstocks much more comfy, and the thicker the socks the better.

It must be hard to play the piano with stiff achy hands.

When I got arthritis, the pain came before there were definite physical signs (like a bad looking x-ray, and so on). So my doctor said I didn't have it for the first few years, but that's what it was. If what you have is arthritis, it will eventually get bad enough that your doctor can diagnose it.

Then, there are of a plethora of wonderful arthritis miracle drugs, like the Celebrex that has helped me so much, and many others. Thank goodness it's not like it was twenty years ago, when there was nothing much that could be done about arthritis except to take pain pills.

Carole C

wendyn on 7/03/02 at 23:29 (089080)

Let me be the first person to say Congratulations Carole!

Suzanne D on 7/04/02 at 07:45 (089089)

And I'll be the second, Carole! That is wonderful news!! I look forward to reading about the home you select and your new furnishings and other such things as time goes by. This was good news to read to start my day!

I am heading over to my school now. I will be teaching a one-week summer school next week. I decided to do that to pay for my daughter's wedding dress. I like to have goals to work toward as it helps me get motivated to get up and going...Of course you all know me well enough by now to know that I will love it when I get there with the children! :-)

Actually, we will have small classes (10 or less) and are to concentrate on reading (my favorite), so I will have a good week. I am to have those who will be going into first grade. These are the ones who were determined to need some extra help after kindergarten, so if I can accomplish their having a good feeling about school and wanting to begin first grade, I will feel my week has been worthwhile.

We're going to work on a short vowel a day - a on Monday, e on Tuesday, etc. I have a 'picnic' planned for each day - in the bAckyard on Monday, under a tEnt on Tuesday, etc.

Well, I started out writing about YOU, not me! Sorry; you know when I start writing about school what always happens...

Congratulations, again!

john h on 7/04/02 at 08:21 (089096)

When you get that house Carole send me your address as I have some things you can decorate with. How about one room with old orthorics and shoes that did not work hanging from the walls and ceiling. If we all send you some of the things that we tried and did not work you could have one room as a foot museum.

Kathy G on 7/04/02 at 08:45 (089098)

What a terrific idea, John! Carole, I know you're looking for a small place but make sure that you have at least one room you can dub as the 'foot museum'. I can see it now, orthotics, padded sox, shoes, tape. The list just goes on and on! It will be a room that even Imelda Marcos could enjoy!

Suzanne D on 7/04/02 at 09:52 (089103)

You could advertise and tell people you will trade a pair of shoes or roll of tape, etc. for some light bulbs, canned goods, something for the house. :-) Then you could charge a small admission fee for dispensing advice on foot troubles.

I'm getting silly; I'd better get back to work here in my room! I just stopped to sit down for a few minutes and started reading the board.

Missy B on 7/04/02 at 16:49 (089126)

How great that you have been approved for your loan - now good luck on finding just the right house.

A 'foot museum', a swap shop, a consulting booth for feet problems (remember Lucy and her 'Advice' booth in the comic strip Peanuts) -- well, I guess they might be good ways to meet your new neighbors. Now I am getting sillier than Suzanne - but it has been a long day at work, the temperature at 6pm is 91 and my brain and body are just about wiped out.

So, happy house hunting - let us know how it goes and what you find out there on the market.

Missy B.

Carole C in NOLA on 7/04/02 at 17:37 (089130)

John, since there's only one of me and these houses all come with 3 or more bedrooms, plus other unused rooms, I'll have plenty of space for a foot museum. :)

They all seem to have several HUGE walk-in closets, so I'll have plenty of space for my Birkenstock 'collection'.

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 7/04/02 at 17:42 (089131)

Thanks, Missy, Suzanne, Kathy, John, Wendy, and everyone! I am so happy. Now, if only I can find the right house.

Stable ground under it, not overly prone to flooding, and location location location... plus, I want an uncomplicated floorplan with a den or a living room, but not both, lots of light from the windows, and more. I'm so picky! :)

Carole

john h on 7/04/02 at 17:47 (089133)

Suzanne: I was in Barnes & Nobel today and my unofficial count is that about 70% of the patrons had on sandals.

jonna p on 8/29/02 at 11:19 (093873)

I found a French website where they sell Mephistos at about a 33% discount after the exchange rate is taken into account. Very nice fellow will respond to your email questions. The site is http://www.mephisto-shop.com . Good luck.