Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

planta F. End of my rope, saw ortho md today

Posted by phyllis R on 7/02/02 at 00:36 (088890)

Well, I have taken all I can stand. 4 years ago, no known injury, the mid to back of the bottom of my r heel had pain, usually it was after I had been sitting or sleeping, I would limp for a few min and it got a little better. Now I almost fall from the pain, I limp all the time and now the outside of my foot hurts due to the odd angle I walk to try to cut the pain back. Went to Orto Md today, he spent all of 3 min w/ me said it was planta. F. asked if I wanted an injection (removing my foot at this point ws my option, not really) I said ok, he came back with a cort. shot which was a true killer right in the pain area, didn't tell me when it should be effective??? should I have pain tonight (shot was today at 2), said may be good for 6 weeks, I said then what, he said hopefully it will be better. How can that shot make it better? I tried Bextra 20 mg, it was a wonderful relief, due to expense I tried not to take them everyday, found a printout on Bextra and it says you take it EVERDAY Is this true? Have you heard people with success from taking it? Md said to streatch the area, (HOW other than heel drops and lifts on a step? Please give me direction, I'm 40 years old, would like to loose about 10 lbs, very active feet,What damage can Betra cause? Thanks you so much in advance for you assistance, II truely am at the end of my rope, I waited until I couldn't stand it anymore.

Re: planta F. End of my rope, saw ortho md today

Dr. John Cozzarelli on 7/02/02 at 05:35 (088898)

Hi Phyllis:

Don't be at the end of the rope. Bextra is a new Cox2 inhibitor. It works like Celebrex and Vioxx. I think I would seek a second opinion. A two minute visit is not going to help you. Read Scott's heel pain book. start using the night splint, physical therapy and I would investigate ESWT. It is non-invassive and non-surgical. Cortisone injections are not the answer. Also switch shoe type from a flat to using a clog, wedge, heel. I hope this helps

Dr. John Cozzarelli

phyllis R on 7/02/02 at 22:53 (088987)

Thanks for your reply, could I get a little more info from you.
1st, as of 24 hrs from the shot of cort. I feel almost like a new person, I have been doing things I haven't been able to do in years, I dread when it wears off.
1st. How many cort shots are safe to have given?
you suggested a clog? please give me some ideas of the shoe you are talking about.
2nd, what causes the P.F. pain. I thought I read that it ISN'T when you stem down on your heel.
3rd. The Bextra. Is it alright to take? Any complications that you know of?
thanks again
Phyllis

Dr. John Cozzarelli on 7/03/02 at 06:09 (089007)

Hi Phyllis:

Yes the injection will give tremendous relief. It will break the pain cycle but if the mechanics of the problem are not treated you'll most likely be back to square one. Usually a series of three injections are given over a three week period. PF pain can come from low shoes, exercise suvh as squats, lungs, tread mill on incline, ladders, staris, cycling. Hereditary factors such as flat feet and or high arch that is reducible on weight bearing to a low arch. Bextra is a new Cox 2 inhibitor. They calim it hasno GI upset. I have been using it for about one month now with good results for patients. It does not affect bleeding time like some of the other NSAIDS. I'm not aware of any complications yet.

Dr. John Cozzarelli

Barbara s on 7/04/02 at 22:28 (089152)

Dr. John Cozzarelli, Could Pf start by a sudden impact on your foot. I was in a car accident last March (2001). I young man ran a red light. I hit the brake hard. It seemed after this that I started with a problem in my right foot. I had bone scan in Aug,2001 should stress fracture in heel and ankle. Pod but me in a cast for 30 days. When took cast off foot was worse. Tried cortizone shots, no good. Pod in EPF in late Nov. foot got even worse. Jan 2002 tried steroide shot don't remember the mixture,but it didn't work either. Feb sent to neurosurgeon for emg. Tested postitive for tts. Pod referred me to Ortho Surgeon specalizing in foot and ankle. Had surgery on April 22. Things are progressin slowly. Just gave up my wheelchair.I used mostly when I had to stand alot. Been on crutches. I have been in Pt now for 6wks three times a week. Last three wks were doing walking and stretches in pool. See Ortho Surg. on July 9th.
I should inform you that I also have fibromyalgia diagnosed 7yrs ago.
Thanks in advance for any info.

Barbara S.

Dr. John Cozzarelli on 7/02/02 at 05:35 (088898)

Hi Phyllis:

Don't be at the end of the rope. Bextra is a new Cox2 inhibitor. It works like Celebrex and Vioxx. I think I would seek a second opinion. A two minute visit is not going to help you. Read Scott's heel pain book. start using the night splint, physical therapy and I would investigate ESWT. It is non-invassive and non-surgical. Cortisone injections are not the answer. Also switch shoe type from a flat to using a clog, wedge, heel. I hope this helps

Dr. John Cozzarelli

phyllis R on 7/02/02 at 22:53 (088987)

Thanks for your reply, could I get a little more info from you.
1st, as of 24 hrs from the shot of cort. I feel almost like a new person, I have been doing things I haven't been able to do in years, I dread when it wears off.
1st. How many cort shots are safe to have given?
you suggested a clog? please give me some ideas of the shoe you are talking about.
2nd, what causes the P.F. pain. I thought I read that it ISN'T when you stem down on your heel.
3rd. The Bextra. Is it alright to take? Any complications that you know of?
thanks again
Phyllis

Dr. John Cozzarelli on 7/03/02 at 06:09 (089007)

Hi Phyllis:

Yes the injection will give tremendous relief. It will break the pain cycle but if the mechanics of the problem are not treated you'll most likely be back to square one. Usually a series of three injections are given over a three week period. PF pain can come from low shoes, exercise suvh as squats, lungs, tread mill on incline, ladders, staris, cycling. Hereditary factors such as flat feet and or high arch that is reducible on weight bearing to a low arch. Bextra is a new Cox 2 inhibitor. They calim it hasno GI upset. I have been using it for about one month now with good results for patients. It does not affect bleeding time like some of the other NSAIDS. I'm not aware of any complications yet.

Dr. John Cozzarelli

Barbara s on 7/04/02 at 22:28 (089152)

Dr. John Cozzarelli, Could Pf start by a sudden impact on your foot. I was in a car accident last March (2001). I young man ran a red light. I hit the brake hard. It seemed after this that I started with a problem in my right foot. I had bone scan in Aug,2001 should stress fracture in heel and ankle. Pod but me in a cast for 30 days. When took cast off foot was worse. Tried cortizone shots, no good. Pod in EPF in late Nov. foot got even worse. Jan 2002 tried steroide shot don't remember the mixture,but it didn't work either. Feb sent to neurosurgeon for emg. Tested postitive for tts. Pod referred me to Ortho Surgeon specalizing in foot and ankle. Had surgery on April 22. Things are progressin slowly. Just gave up my wheelchair.I used mostly when I had to stand alot. Been on crutches. I have been in Pt now for 6wks three times a week. Last three wks were doing walking and stretches in pool. See Ortho Surg. on July 9th.
I should inform you that I also have fibromyalgia diagnosed 7yrs ago.
Thanks in advance for any info.

Barbara S.