Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

ESWT treatment question

Posted by BrianJ on 7/02/02 at 09:06 (088912)

Why is ESWT generally more effective when treating the medial insertion point rather than more distally along the PF?

Re: ESWT treatment question

Dr. Zuckerman on 7/02/02 at 20:58 (088969)

Most pf is at the medial aspect that is why it is treated there. Not too many cases with a distal problem

Stewart on 7/08/02 at 15:34 (089300)

Where did you hear that eswt doesn't help as much for pf that is distally located? BY that, do you mean, along the fascia toward the toes a bit from where it attaches at the heel?

Dr. Z treated me for exactly this pf location 2 weeks ago. So far, little change. But he says it to wait up to 12 weeks. My pf is not the typical kind. No morning pain, just pain/tingling/burning on the bottom of the foot at the highest point of the arch anytime I have to stand for more than 5 minutes.

I would like to study whatever research you're referring to.

Take care,
Stewart

Dr. Zuckerman on 7/08/02 at 15:42 (089301)

I am talking abou the toe area

BrianJ on 7/08/02 at 17:25 (089312)

Hi Stewart --

I'm not a doctor, but I note that ESWT is approved for treatment of 'proximal' plantar fasciitis, which means pain that is at or close to where the fascia meets the heel bone. Also, the ESWT treatment people at Bayshore in Canada told me that ESWT is more effective for pain at the heel bone (proximal)than pain further up the arch toward the toes (distal). These facts are what led me to ask why ESWT is better for proximal PF than distal PF.

Sunny Jacob - Bayshore on 7/09/02 at 11:46 (089346)

Brian,
Distal PF can be treated with ESWT. However, you were told that proximal PF will have a higher success rate, based on our experience.
This is als true with tennis and golfer's elbow. There is a substantially higher success rate with ESWT treatment for tennis elbow (as compared to golfer's elbow).
Why is there a difference? This is a good academic question and perhaps one day someone can come up with the answer. As for now, we don't have one.

Dr. Zuckerman on 7/02/02 at 20:58 (088969)

Most pf is at the medial aspect that is why it is treated there. Not too many cases with a distal problem

Stewart on 7/08/02 at 15:34 (089300)

Where did you hear that eswt doesn't help as much for pf that is distally located? BY that, do you mean, along the fascia toward the toes a bit from where it attaches at the heel?

Dr. Z treated me for exactly this pf location 2 weeks ago. So far, little change. But he says it to wait up to 12 weeks. My pf is not the typical kind. No morning pain, just pain/tingling/burning on the bottom of the foot at the highest point of the arch anytime I have to stand for more than 5 minutes.

I would like to study whatever research you're referring to.

Take care,
Stewart

Dr. Zuckerman on 7/08/02 at 15:42 (089301)

I am talking abou the toe area

BrianJ on 7/08/02 at 17:25 (089312)

Hi Stewart --

I'm not a doctor, but I note that ESWT is approved for treatment of 'proximal' plantar fasciitis, which means pain that is at or close to where the fascia meets the heel bone. Also, the ESWT treatment people at Bayshore in Canada told me that ESWT is more effective for pain at the heel bone (proximal)than pain further up the arch toward the toes (distal). These facts are what led me to ask why ESWT is better for proximal PF than distal PF.

Sunny Jacob - Bayshore on 7/09/02 at 11:46 (089346)

Brian,
Distal PF can be treated with ESWT. However, you were told that proximal PF will have a higher success rate, based on our experience.
This is als true with tennis and golfer's elbow. There is a substantially higher success rate with ESWT treatment for tennis elbow (as compared to golfer's elbow).
Why is there a difference? This is a good academic question and perhaps one day someone can come up with the answer. As for now, we don't have one.