Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Are you all having terribly hot weather?

Posted by Kathy G on 7/02/02 at 18:41 (088948)

Here in New Hampshire, it's 95 degrees with matching humidity for the third straight day. Here in the north, we're not used to this and all I can say is, 'Thank God for air conditioning!'

Seriously, I went out to weed yesterday morning and ended up coming in after doing very little because it was so horrible outside. All I could think of was all my Southern friends, here on the boards, from Kentucky, Louisiana, Arkinsas, etc. I don't know how you stand it! We're fortunate because my husband's family has a summer house on a lake. We spent the day in the water which was quite wonderful.

By the way, the weeds are growing as I speak, and they can keep on growing until the weather breaks! My flowers may not look so great but I have the healthiest weeds on the block!

Re: YES!

Suzanne D on 7/02/02 at 18:51 (088950)

Hi, Kathy! Yes, the weather here in KY is hot, humid, and uncomfortable all around! Our air conditioner here at home is having a hard time keeping up, and by the end of the day it is 78 or 79 degrees in the house. It finally cools down during the night.

Saturday I was at our church camp near here which is right on a river. My class setting was very near the river, and I taught 4 classes during the day. I had a tent of sorts - roof and poles but no sides - which provided shade but was still quite hot.

During their swim time, I did sit by the edge of the pool and dangled my feet in the water. That felt good! So I know you enjoyed the water by your summer house.

Yes, air conditioning is something for which to be thankful! I taught several years upstairs in a brick school building with no air conditioning. I remember having a thermometer on my desk and noting that it was 95 degrees one August day. I put it in my drawer at that time so I didn't have to see it!

I'd better stop before I sound like the 'old people' who used to tell me about how they walked 2 miles to school through the snow carrying their lunch in a lard bucket...:-)

Keep cool!
Suzanne :-)

Re: Are you all having terribly hot weather?

Missy B on 7/02/02 at 20:42 (088963)

Hi Kathy,
Yes, we are having really hot weather here in Western Maryland too. The past 2 days it has been in the mid 90's with heat index of over 100. Considering that I live in the mountains, this weather was not typical until just a few years ago. Now we have several stretches of these hot, humid days every summer. (Or maybe I am just getting older and noticing it more - my internal thermostat changed drastically when I hit middle age - hahaha!)
When I got off work yesterday and today, I stopped at the farm where I board my 2 horses and hosed them both down with a nice cold water spray - and I admit - I thought about turning the hose nozzel around on me.
How is your tick population this summer. In our area, there seem to be many more ticks than normal this year. I pull 10 or 12 at a time off my horses, but luckily I have not found any on myself when I come in from being outdoors. My cousin did not fair as well this year - she was recently bitten by a deer tick, and has developed Lyme's disease, but her doctor recognized the symptoms and caught it right away and started her on antibiotics.
I do not have air conditioning in my apartment - but my fans manage to keep my place liveable and since I work daylight and do not get home until after 4pm, at least five days a week I miss the worst part of day for heat.
Take care, keep cool - and enjoy the weeds - if this hot spell lasts too long, they may be the only green things left alive.
Missy B.

Re: Nope

wendyn on 7/02/02 at 23:17 (088991)

About 70-75 here. Sunny - but nice. I'll take it. People here would DIE if it ever got over 90. Most people don't have indoor a/c (other than offices etc).

Necee on 7/02/02 at 23:44 (088996)

Now come on!!! Ya'll haven't seen hot weather till you come to Texas in July and August. A typical summer here is 90*-100*. We usually get a string of 100* days some lasting as long as 2 weeks.
This summer has been quite different, although humid, the temperatures are much lower. I wish every summer was like this. I have no doubt that things will heat up pretty soon though....oh well....thats Texas.

Happy trails.....

Necee

Carole C in NOLA on 7/03/02 at 07:17 (089011)

It's really hot here. I mean REALLY hot. Luckily, we've had some rainstorms that break the heat, temporarily, but when they are gone the temperatures rise again. When it doesn't rain, summertime temperatures combined with the very high humidity here will almost knock you down if you go outside. That's part of the experience of living here in the summer and I guess we all expect it.

New Orleans would be a lot more difficult to bear if it weren't for A/C. We have it in my apartment complex, but each June we are issued instructions from the property managers about not setting the thermostat below 78 and not changing it during the day since the A/C units aren't too powerful and can't keep up.

Each summer I get a leak in the roof of my apartment, which apparently has something to do with the A/C in the units above me. Maybe it's the condensate. It started leaking again yesterday, and the property management people had it fixed again, but the repairment left my apartment a mess... strips of texturized paint from the ceiling hanging down two feet, and pieces of it all over the floor. So, today I have to call the property managers and let them know that I am not responsible for the ceiling paint.

This is just one more reason I want to buy a house. When I have my own home with central A/C, I can put in an adequate A/C unit (or it might already have one). I sure hope that I pre-qualify for a mortgage that is big enough to allow me to get a reasonable house of some kind. I'm on pins and needles, waiting to hear from the mortgage company.

Wendy, your weather sounds great. See? The snow finally did go away. :)

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 7/03/02 at 07:23 (089012)

You are right, Necee. Summers in Texas are the worst. One thing that I love in Louisiana, after living in Texas for thirteen years, is that it rains in the summertime here. So, we can always hope for rain to come and break the heat. In central Texas, that never seemed to happen and we would just bake in the heat.

Carole C

Re: Chicago the windy part is all hot air

Rick R on 7/03/02 at 07:26 (089013)

Wendy,

Does this mean you have to get off the ice and hang up the skates for a couple of weeks? We were at 97 yesterday. The home plate umpire passed out last night. I pitched batting practice, probably well over 100 pitches. Things were spinning around pretty good by the last two batters. I sent my son to get me water so he took the jug into the dugout instead. Fourtunately I got to the water in time. Hey it still beats falling through the ice!
Rick

Re: You're right about Texas, Necee, and as for Maryland.....

Kathy G on 7/03/02 at 08:40 (089015)

My sister lives in Annapolis, right on Chesapeake Bay. For the first ten years that she lived there she was inundated with visitors. She felt like she was running a hotel. She said she finally got smart and if she really didn't care for someone who wanted to visit, she would tell them the only time it was convenient for them to come would be from mid-July through August. She said they seldom came to visit again! One year, she invited us to come for ten days which ran into the Fourth of July. She said it wasn't really much hotter there than it was here during those weeks. I knew she had truly forgotten New England weather when I felt the humidity down there! In her defense, we did happen to hit a particularly hot spell of weather. My daughter, who was five at the time, came as close to heat exhaustion as I've ever seen anyone. We were at Georgetown University where my son, then twelve, was on the quest for a Georgetown tee shirt because they are his favorite basketball team. My daughter and I had to duck into an air-conditioned library so that I could feed her water and cool her down again. I remember how surprised she was because they had no books I could read to her; just text books!

I've never been to Texas but I guess your summers are ungodly, Necee. If I ever visit Texas, it'll be in the winter!

Now where Wendyn lives, that's more like my kind of weather! We vacationed for about five years at Prince Edward Island and it was my ideal climate. The temperatures ran in the seventies, with a constant breeze and no humidity. We could swim for hours because the water was so warm since the Gulf Stream runs right through there. They had no mosquitoes or black flies and it was heavenly. No ragweed either. It was paradise. Of course, they had a lot of regular old houseflies but that didn't seem to bother anyone and I didn't mind it at all. I have friends who hated it there because of the lack of screens and the houseflies.

I understand that some ragweed has made its way into the area, now. As Wendy says, they don't have air conditioning. One year, we were there in a particular hot spell and they were closing stores and everything. It was around 85 and they had a couple of very humid days. It was quite devastating to them financially since they are such an agricultural area. None of their chicken coops were air conditioned and many farmers lost all their chickens because of the heat.

Because of La Ninja or El Nino or the greenhouse effect or something, summers in New England are much more humid and warm than they used to be. Back in the dark ages, when I was a kid, days like we're having now came only in August. That's why they were called 'the dog days of August'. I lived in a town in Connecticut that was right on a lake and we got lake humidity but our air temperatures were lower. I don't even remember us having to use fans very often. Once we moved to New Hampshire, into a city and away from the water, we used fans much more. Now more and more people have central AC and most have at least a room air conditioner or two.

Well, I hope you all have a happy Fourth of July and everyone keeps cool! No fireworks for us this year. Our town voters, in their infinite wisdom, voted down the budget and now they're all complaining because they have to go to a neighboring town if they want to see fireworks!

Rachel W. on 7/03/02 at 09:11 (089019)

Well, I don't think I have to tell you all what it's like in England.

Raining and miserable.

BrianG on 7/03/02 at 11:08 (089033)

And in New England, it's still HHH. Hazey, hot and humid! I had friends camping for the week. They packed up early today and headed back to Des Moines. It's pretty bad when it's too hot to go camping!!!

BrianG

PatC on 7/03/02 at 11:13 (089034)

I live in Las Vegas. It was 112 on Mon., but cooled to 107 Tues. I spent Mon and Tues cleaning a rental house and ached all over when done. Today is supposed to be a pleasant 102. Even though it is dry heat, it is HOT! My feet and the rest of my body don't like it.

Re: Current conditions

wendyn on 7/03/02 at 23:28 (089079)

Current conditions in Calgary at 10:20 pm - 66 degrees F and 50% humidity. I think that's high humidity for us. We live in a dessert (desert? - it's late) like climate.

I should not leave you with the impression we don't have a/c at all here. Most people have it in their cars, all stores etc have it - and apartments etc. Most homes don't have it though, there's probably only about 10 days (or less) out of most years where you may actually need it.

Be jealous of my weather - the tables turn every January!

john h on 7/04/02 at 08:19 (089095)

We are headed to near 100 degrees for the next 4 days. Today is always a sad day because of a race that is run; The Fast Fircracker K. I ran it for 15 years in a row and all I can do now is watch. Anyway I look good standing there in my sandals.

Kathy G on 7/04/02 at 08:48 (089099)

John, you'll be the spiffiest spectator in your nifty new sandals! Seriously, I imagine it must be quite difficult to have to watch something in which you participated for so many years. You seem to have the right attitude, though, and I don't think it'll get you down. Try to stay cool and have a great day!

Carole C in NOLA on 7/04/02 at 13:16 (089117)

Wendy, we are jealous.

Carole C

nancy s. on 7/04/02 at 15:44 (089122)

i am Super-Jealous, wendy! this heat here is about to turn me homicidal. i just hope i pick someone deserving, but my judgment is kind of off. you all may see me on the national news any day now.
nancy

john h on 7/04/02 at 17:49 (089134)

my rememberance of hot is being in Waco in August and being in the back of a B-25 on the runway where the temp inside had to be near 140 degrees.

Carole C in NOLA on 7/04/02 at 21:19 (089146)

That is hotter than hot.

Carole C

Barbara s on 7/04/02 at 21:51 (089147)

John
I know how you feel about watching the race after running in it for 15yrs. The 16 yrs ago on the 4th of July I played my first round of golf with my boyfriend, who is now my Husband. I had so much fun we did another 18 holes. Today I watched him go off with our 13yr old grandson to play a round of golf. My other son went off to the park with his 5yr. and I stayed home and watched his 4month old son. Afer he went to sleep I got somewhat depressed about being at home. We also used to walk a few miles to our park where the fireworks are at,but tonight I stayed home and watched the baby.
I haven't been golfing or walking since last Aug. Hoping next year will be much better.
Have a great and safe 4th. Barbara S.

Re: YES!

Suzanne D on 7/02/02 at 18:51 (088950)

Hi, Kathy! Yes, the weather here in KY is hot, humid, and uncomfortable all around! Our air conditioner here at home is having a hard time keeping up, and by the end of the day it is 78 or 79 degrees in the house. It finally cools down during the night.

Saturday I was at our church camp near here which is right on a river. My class setting was very near the river, and I taught 4 classes during the day. I had a tent of sorts - roof and poles but no sides - which provided shade but was still quite hot.

During their swim time, I did sit by the edge of the pool and dangled my feet in the water. That felt good! So I know you enjoyed the water by your summer house.

Yes, air conditioning is something for which to be thankful! I taught several years upstairs in a brick school building with no air conditioning. I remember having a thermometer on my desk and noting that it was 95 degrees one August day. I put it in my drawer at that time so I didn't have to see it!

I'd better stop before I sound like the 'old people' who used to tell me about how they walked 2 miles to school through the snow carrying their lunch in a lard bucket...:-)

Keep cool!
Suzanne :-)

Missy B on 7/02/02 at 20:42 (088963)

Hi Kathy,
Yes, we are having really hot weather here in Western Maryland too. The past 2 days it has been in the mid 90's with heat index of over 100. Considering that I live in the mountains, this weather was not typical until just a few years ago. Now we have several stretches of these hot, humid days every summer. (Or maybe I am just getting older and noticing it more - my internal thermostat changed drastically when I hit middle age - hahaha!)
When I got off work yesterday and today, I stopped at the farm where I board my 2 horses and hosed them both down with a nice cold water spray - and I admit - I thought about turning the hose nozzel around on me.
How is your tick population this summer. In our area, there seem to be many more ticks than normal this year. I pull 10 or 12 at a time off my horses, but luckily I have not found any on myself when I come in from being outdoors. My cousin did not fair as well this year - she was recently bitten by a deer tick, and has developed Lyme's disease, but her doctor recognized the symptoms and caught it right away and started her on antibiotics.
I do not have air conditioning in my apartment - but my fans manage to keep my place liveable and since I work daylight and do not get home until after 4pm, at least five days a week I miss the worst part of day for heat.
Take care, keep cool - and enjoy the weeds - if this hot spell lasts too long, they may be the only green things left alive.
Missy B.

wendyn on 7/02/02 at 23:17 (088991)

About 70-75 here. Sunny - but nice. I'll take it. People here would DIE if it ever got over 90. Most people don't have indoor a/c (other than offices etc).

Necee on 7/02/02 at 23:44 (088996)

Now come on!!! Ya'll haven't seen hot weather till you come to Texas in July and August. A typical summer here is 90*-100*. We usually get a string of 100* days some lasting as long as 2 weeks.
This summer has been quite different, although humid, the temperatures are much lower. I wish every summer was like this. I have no doubt that things will heat up pretty soon though....oh well....thats Texas.

Happy trails.....

Necee

Carole C in NOLA on 7/03/02 at 07:17 (089011)

It's really hot here. I mean REALLY hot. Luckily, we've had some rainstorms that break the heat, temporarily, but when they are gone the temperatures rise again. When it doesn't rain, summertime temperatures combined with the very high humidity here will almost knock you down if you go outside. That's part of the experience of living here in the summer and I guess we all expect it.

New Orleans would be a lot more difficult to bear if it weren't for A/C. We have it in my apartment complex, but each June we are issued instructions from the property managers about not setting the thermostat below 78 and not changing it during the day since the A/C units aren't too powerful and can't keep up.

Each summer I get a leak in the roof of my apartment, which apparently has something to do with the A/C in the units above me. Maybe it's the condensate. It started leaking again yesterday, and the property management people had it fixed again, but the repairment left my apartment a mess... strips of texturized paint from the ceiling hanging down two feet, and pieces of it all over the floor. So, today I have to call the property managers and let them know that I am not responsible for the ceiling paint.

This is just one more reason I want to buy a house. When I have my own home with central A/C, I can put in an adequate A/C unit (or it might already have one). I sure hope that I pre-qualify for a mortgage that is big enough to allow me to get a reasonable house of some kind. I'm on pins and needles, waiting to hear from the mortgage company.

Wendy, your weather sounds great. See? The snow finally did go away. :)

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 7/03/02 at 07:23 (089012)

You are right, Necee. Summers in Texas are the worst. One thing that I love in Louisiana, after living in Texas for thirteen years, is that it rains in the summertime here. So, we can always hope for rain to come and break the heat. In central Texas, that never seemed to happen and we would just bake in the heat.

Carole C

Re: Chicago the windy part is all hot air

Rick R on 7/03/02 at 07:26 (089013)

Wendy,

Does this mean you have to get off the ice and hang up the skates for a couple of weeks? We were at 97 yesterday. The home plate umpire passed out last night. I pitched batting practice, probably well over 100 pitches. Things were spinning around pretty good by the last two batters. I sent my son to get me water so he took the jug into the dugout instead. Fourtunately I got to the water in time. Hey it still beats falling through the ice!
Rick

Re: You're right about Texas, Necee, and as for Maryland.....

Kathy G on 7/03/02 at 08:40 (089015)

My sister lives in Annapolis, right on Chesapeake Bay. For the first ten years that she lived there she was inundated with visitors. She felt like she was running a hotel. She said she finally got smart and if she really didn't care for someone who wanted to visit, she would tell them the only time it was convenient for them to come would be from mid-July through August. She said they seldom came to visit again! One year, she invited us to come for ten days which ran into the Fourth of July. She said it wasn't really much hotter there than it was here during those weeks. I knew she had truly forgotten New England weather when I felt the humidity down there! In her defense, we did happen to hit a particularly hot spell of weather. My daughter, who was five at the time, came as close to heat exhaustion as I've ever seen anyone. We were at Georgetown University where my son, then twelve, was on the quest for a Georgetown tee shirt because they are his favorite basketball team. My daughter and I had to duck into an air-conditioned library so that I could feed her water and cool her down again. I remember how surprised she was because they had no books I could read to her; just text books!

I've never been to Texas but I guess your summers are ungodly, Necee. If I ever visit Texas, it'll be in the winter!

Now where Wendyn lives, that's more like my kind of weather! We vacationed for about five years at Prince Edward Island and it was my ideal climate. The temperatures ran in the seventies, with a constant breeze and no humidity. We could swim for hours because the water was so warm since the Gulf Stream runs right through there. They had no mosquitoes or black flies and it was heavenly. No ragweed either. It was paradise. Of course, they had a lot of regular old houseflies but that didn't seem to bother anyone and I didn't mind it at all. I have friends who hated it there because of the lack of screens and the houseflies.

I understand that some ragweed has made its way into the area, now. As Wendy says, they don't have air conditioning. One year, we were there in a particular hot spell and they were closing stores and everything. It was around 85 and they had a couple of very humid days. It was quite devastating to them financially since they are such an agricultural area. None of their chicken coops were air conditioned and many farmers lost all their chickens because of the heat.

Because of La Ninja or El Nino or the greenhouse effect or something, summers in New England are much more humid and warm than they used to be. Back in the dark ages, when I was a kid, days like we're having now came only in August. That's why they were called 'the dog days of August'. I lived in a town in Connecticut that was right on a lake and we got lake humidity but our air temperatures were lower. I don't even remember us having to use fans very often. Once we moved to New Hampshire, into a city and away from the water, we used fans much more. Now more and more people have central AC and most have at least a room air conditioner or two.

Well, I hope you all have a happy Fourth of July and everyone keeps cool! No fireworks for us this year. Our town voters, in their infinite wisdom, voted down the budget and now they're all complaining because they have to go to a neighboring town if they want to see fireworks!

Rachel W. on 7/03/02 at 09:11 (089019)

Well, I don't think I have to tell you all what it's like in England.

Raining and miserable.

BrianG on 7/03/02 at 11:08 (089033)

And in New England, it's still HHH. Hazey, hot and humid! I had friends camping for the week. They packed up early today and headed back to Des Moines. It's pretty bad when it's too hot to go camping!!!

BrianG

PatC on 7/03/02 at 11:13 (089034)

I live in Las Vegas. It was 112 on Mon., but cooled to 107 Tues. I spent Mon and Tues cleaning a rental house and ached all over when done. Today is supposed to be a pleasant 102. Even though it is dry heat, it is HOT! My feet and the rest of my body don't like it.

wendyn on 7/03/02 at 23:28 (089079)

Current conditions in Calgary at 10:20 pm - 66 degrees F and 50% humidity. I think that's high humidity for us. We live in a dessert (desert? - it's late) like climate.

I should not leave you with the impression we don't have a/c at all here. Most people have it in their cars, all stores etc have it - and apartments etc. Most homes don't have it though, there's probably only about 10 days (or less) out of most years where you may actually need it.

Be jealous of my weather - the tables turn every January!

john h on 7/04/02 at 08:19 (089095)

We are headed to near 100 degrees for the next 4 days. Today is always a sad day because of a race that is run; The Fast Fircracker K. I ran it for 15 years in a row and all I can do now is watch. Anyway I look good standing there in my sandals.

Kathy G on 7/04/02 at 08:48 (089099)

John, you'll be the spiffiest spectator in your nifty new sandals! Seriously, I imagine it must be quite difficult to have to watch something in which you participated for so many years. You seem to have the right attitude, though, and I don't think it'll get you down. Try to stay cool and have a great day!

Carole C in NOLA on 7/04/02 at 13:16 (089117)

Wendy, we are jealous.

Carole C

nancy s. on 7/04/02 at 15:44 (089122)

i am Super-Jealous, wendy! this heat here is about to turn me homicidal. i just hope i pick someone deserving, but my judgment is kind of off. you all may see me on the national news any day now.
nancy

john h on 7/04/02 at 17:49 (089134)

my rememberance of hot is being in Waco in August and being in the back of a B-25 on the runway where the temp inside had to be near 140 degrees.

Carole C in NOLA on 7/04/02 at 21:19 (089146)

That is hotter than hot.

Carole C

Barbara s on 7/04/02 at 21:51 (089147)

John
I know how you feel about watching the race after running in it for 15yrs. The 16 yrs ago on the 4th of July I played my first round of golf with my boyfriend, who is now my Husband. I had so much fun we did another 18 holes. Today I watched him go off with our 13yr old grandson to play a round of golf. My other son went off to the park with his 5yr. and I stayed home and watched his 4month old son. Afer he went to sleep I got somewhat depressed about being at home. We also used to walk a few miles to our park where the fireworks are at,but tonight I stayed home and watched the baby.
I haven't been golfing or walking since last Aug. Hoping next year will be much better.
Have a great and safe 4th. Barbara S.