Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

All Doctors PLEASE

Posted by Dave on 7/02/02 at 20:04 (088958)

Received mri results of feet and it says -excess fluid is recognized surrounding the tendon of the flexor hallucis longus. This is all that the MRI shows. What does this mean? What could this be? Does this mean I dont have plantar fasciitis? What do you think I should do next in order to diagnose this?

NCT - normal
Exray - normal

symptoms - inner heel pain, arch pain, tingling, redness and warm.
Tried - ice, night splints, orthotics, footwear, PT,
injections-which made things extremely worse.

thanx for your help.

Re: All Doctors PLEASE

Dr. Zuckerman on 7/02/02 at 20:48 (088965)

This is the tendon that connects to the big toe . It flexes the big toe. The mri indicated that is it imflamed . What does the mri say about the plantar fascia.?

Dave on 7/02/02 at 22:01 (088986)

MRI says - no evidence of fasciitis is recognized. There is no evidence
of hypertrophic or degenerative change at the insertion of the plantar fascia. The sagittal images demonstrate normal anatomy within the plantar compartment of the hindfoot. Occasional benign - appearing bone islands are recognized within the superior calcaneus and tarsal bones.

What do you think? My 1st post shows my symptoms. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanx

Dr. Zuckerman on 7/04/02 at 05:24 (089087)

Could be Tarsal Tunnel nerve pain. The flexor hallux tendon is right at that area. I would either place a steriod injection into the area where the flexor tendon is inflamed if I could palapte pain in that area. Casting in a boot cast. Taping . Some type immobilization is needed .

dionne on 7/05/02 at 22:48 (089200)

My question is this, I have a bone spur along with a cyist in my heal bone, my doctor wants to remove the spur and said I will have some nurve damage because to get to the spur I have to cut a major nurve, this will be perminant and your heal will be numb? is this true? My cyist is in my heal bone the entire heal, and the pain now is not good, I have put the surgury off of a year, now the heal is so sensitive and it's hard to walk. He wants to do the heal spure first then cut my heal bone to drain the cyist and fill it with cadaver bone. Help Dionne

Dr. Zuckerman on 7/06/02 at 06:46 (089202)

The part about cutting the nerve has me confused. Not sure why any doctor would want to cut a nerve intentionally. Get a second opinion.

Dr. Zuckerman on 7/02/02 at 20:48 (088965)

This is the tendon that connects to the big toe . It flexes the big toe. The mri indicated that is it imflamed . What does the mri say about the plantar fascia.?

Dave on 7/02/02 at 22:01 (088986)

MRI says - no evidence of fasciitis is recognized. There is no evidence
of hypertrophic or degenerative change at the insertion of the plantar fascia. The sagittal images demonstrate normal anatomy within the plantar compartment of the hindfoot. Occasional benign - appearing bone islands are recognized within the superior calcaneus and tarsal bones.

What do you think? My 1st post shows my symptoms. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanx

Dr. Zuckerman on 7/04/02 at 05:24 (089087)

Could be Tarsal Tunnel nerve pain. The flexor hallux tendon is right at that area. I would either place a steriod injection into the area where the flexor tendon is inflamed if I could palapte pain in that area. Casting in a boot cast. Taping . Some type immobilization is needed .

dionne on 7/05/02 at 22:48 (089200)

My question is this, I have a bone spur along with a cyist in my heal bone, my doctor wants to remove the spur and said I will have some nurve damage because to get to the spur I have to cut a major nurve, this will be perminant and your heal will be numb? is this true? My cyist is in my heal bone the entire heal, and the pain now is not good, I have put the surgury off of a year, now the heal is so sensitive and it's hard to walk. He wants to do the heal spure first then cut my heal bone to drain the cyist and fill it with cadaver bone. Help Dionne

Dr. Zuckerman on 7/06/02 at 06:46 (089202)

The part about cutting the nerve has me confused. Not sure why any doctor would want to cut a nerve intentionally. Get a second opinion.