Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

back related heel pain

Posted by Stephen Armstrong on 7/03/02 at 10:28 (089025)

I am a competitive runner and I have a pain in my left heel. This injury surfaced around a year ago and I have been treated for Plantar fascitis (ie. rest, splints, taping, stretching, acupuncture, homeopathic remedies etc.) However one physio has highlighted it to be coming from the lower back nerves. Despite this and traction and a few other techniques which seem to give inconsistent relief they have not been able to cure the problem and as a last resort are now asking if I would wish to be referred to a pain clinic for nerve drugs or alternatively crtisone injection in the back. Is this safe and what would be the lesser of the two evils? I already wear orthoses and have been negatively checked for stress fractures.

Re: back related heel pain

Dr. Zuckerman on 7/03/02 at 21:43 (089073)

Hi

What tesing has been done to determine that in fact the plantar fascia problem is related to your back. Do you have the classic pain after sitting for any length of time especially in the morning and in the middle of the nite. Why do they think it is your back.? YOur history of running and plantar fascia go hand in hand.

Stephen Armstrong on 7/06/02 at 12:51 (089211)

No one has carried out any specific tests, however when I have had treatment for fascitis ie. taping, night splint and rest there has been no improvement in pain . But when I have techniques carried out on my back such has traction and manipulation I have had remarkable results, with pain relief instant in some cases, however this has now become inconsistent. The physio seems to think it is linked to the tibial nerve (I think that is the correct name) and that is what is giving the pain. They are now at a loss and are suggesting drugs or injection as I mentioned previously.

Dr. Zuckerman on 7/03/02 at 21:43 (089073)

Hi

What tesing has been done to determine that in fact the plantar fascia problem is related to your back. Do you have the classic pain after sitting for any length of time especially in the morning and in the middle of the nite. Why do they think it is your back.? YOur history of running and plantar fascia go hand in hand.

Stephen Armstrong on 7/06/02 at 12:51 (089211)

No one has carried out any specific tests, however when I have had treatment for fascitis ie. taping, night splint and rest there has been no improvement in pain . But when I have techniques carried out on my back such has traction and manipulation I have had remarkable results, with pain relief instant in some cases, however this has now become inconsistent. The physio seems to think it is linked to the tibial nerve (I think that is the correct name) and that is what is giving the pain. They are now at a loss and are suggesting drugs or injection as I mentioned previously.