Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

running shoes

Posted by Roger W on 7/03/02 at 19:08 (089057)

I need to know what are the best running shoes available for me. I am a muscular and tall man and weigh 255 pounds and wear a size 14 wide shoe in most brands. I only run three times a week at about 3 miles per run, but I would like to run more. I haven't been able to find a pair of running or cross-trainers that are cushioned and supportive enough to be comfortable on longer runs. Extra insoles cause my shoes to be too tight. It is difficult to find a good selection of shoes my size.

Re: running shoes

elliott on 7/08/02 at 17:19 (089311)

A beefy motion control shoe is almost certainly your best bet whether you overpronate or not, as most other shoes just are not built for that kind of weight. A quick look at the shoe chart in Road Runner Sports catalog (800-551-5558 and they'll send you one, or see their selection at roadrunnersports.com) shows they have Asics Koji and New Balance 587 in 2E and 4E up to size 16, and Brooks Beast in 2E also up to 16. Check out also holabirdsports.com; they have some of the best prices around. They have the highly regarded Asics Gel MC Plus V in wide; not sure what sizes they have, but you might have to hurry, as that shoe has just been discontinued, replaced by the Koji (which has a tad less support due to a somewhat more cushioned midsole). (To anyone whose favorite shoe is the Gel MC Plus V, it made it to RRS's classics page, meaning it will be kept in line indefinitely, with Asics continuing to produce them exclusively for RRS, so you can breathe a sigh of relief.) You can also try giving RunTex (in Houston, Texas) a call (800-959-7868). They're great at finding you just about anything. Do you have any foot problems? If not, you may prefer to go to the shoe forum at runnersworld.com and pose your questions there.

Re: Welcome back, Elliott!

Carole C in NOLA on 7/08/02 at 17:31 (089313)

Elliott, welcome back! I hope you post again from time to time.

Carole C

Re: running shoes

elliott on 7/08/02 at 17:19 (089311)

A beefy motion control shoe is almost certainly your best bet whether you overpronate or not, as most other shoes just are not built for that kind of weight. A quick look at the shoe chart in Road Runner Sports catalog (800-551-5558 and they'll send you one, or see their selection at roadrunnersports.com) shows they have Asics Koji and New Balance 587 in 2E and 4E up to size 16, and Brooks Beast in 2E also up to 16. Check out also holabirdsports.com; they have some of the best prices around. They have the highly regarded Asics Gel MC Plus V in wide; not sure what sizes they have, but you might have to hurry, as that shoe has just been discontinued, replaced by the Koji (which has a tad less support due to a somewhat more cushioned midsole). (To anyone whose favorite shoe is the Gel MC Plus V, it made it to RRS's classics page, meaning it will be kept in line indefinitely, with Asics continuing to produce them exclusively for RRS, so you can breathe a sigh of relief.) You can also try giving RunTex (in Houston, Texas) a call (800-959-7868). They're great at finding you just about anything. Do you have any foot problems? If not, you may prefer to go to the shoe forum at runnersworld.com and pose your questions there.

Re: Welcome back, Elliott!

Carole C in NOLA on 7/08/02 at 17:31 (089313)

Elliott, welcome back! I hope you post again from time to time.

Carole C