Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Saphenous nerve entrapment?

Posted by JR1 on 7/03/02 at 19:09 (089058)

I had PF / TTS release. Still didn't solve the problem.
Are there any other nerves that might be trapped? I was
reading that '... examination and localization are needed
to differentiate a saphenous nerve injury from the symptoms
and findings asociated with tarsal tunnel syndrome.'
'... patient w/saphenous nerve inury often complains of pain developing
after prolonged walking and standing'

THATS ME!!!!

Ref: Mandel S. and Willis J., 'Handbook of Lower Extremity Neurology',
copyright 2000; page 125.

Re: Saphenous nerve entrapment?

Dr. Zuckerman on 7/03/02 at 20:20 (089068)

Could be you still have some branch or compartment of the posterior tibial nerve entraped. The saphenous has no involvement with the posterior tibial nerve. The distribution of the saphenous nerve is from the femoral nerve not the posterior tibial nerve. It would be very easy to determine if you are having a problem with the saphenous nerve. Inject a long acting anesthetic into this branch and then see if your pain is resolved. I hope this helps

EKC on 7/05/02 at 08:02 (089163)

So what does this mean? They have to go back in and do
more of a release? How do they test/diagnose that there
is additional entrapment? Can an MRI help?

Dr. Zuckerman on 7/06/02 at 09:19 (089204)

Mri studies will help to determine is there is a mass of some kind pressing on the posterior tibial nerve. Going back in may be necessary but you need to give alot of time before that decision is made. It can take up to one years for TTS surgery to heal.

Dr. Zuckerman on 7/03/02 at 20:20 (089068)

Could be you still have some branch or compartment of the posterior tibial nerve entraped. The saphenous has no involvement with the posterior tibial nerve. The distribution of the saphenous nerve is from the femoral nerve not the posterior tibial nerve. It would be very easy to determine if you are having a problem with the saphenous nerve. Inject a long acting anesthetic into this branch and then see if your pain is resolved. I hope this helps

EKC on 7/05/02 at 08:02 (089163)

So what does this mean? They have to go back in and do
more of a release? How do they test/diagnose that there
is additional entrapment? Can an MRI help?

Dr. Zuckerman on 7/06/02 at 09:19 (089204)

Mri studies will help to determine is there is a mass of some kind pressing on the posterior tibial nerve. Going back in may be necessary but you need to give alot of time before that decision is made. It can take up to one years for TTS surgery to heal.