Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

questions??? post op TTS surgery 6 weeks

Posted by LaVona J. on 7/04/02 at 02:43 (089084)

When did any of you start physical therapy? and what do they do? so far my Dr. hasn't even wanted me to stand on my foot. also my scar is much larger than what I've seen in the pictures, it's about 6 inches long, from behind ankle, across ankle down under arch, anybody else have a long one like this? Also I've had nothing but trouble with pain meds they put me on. They want me to take, neurontin, valuim and pain pills they all make me sick, nausea, headaches, itching and some dizziness. I told the Dr. and they just gave me more meds to counteract the symptoms, any body else run across this. I haven't even felt like I need any meds other than 1 or sometimes 2 pain pills in a 24 hour period, yet there telling me I have to take these meds, why? Please fill in some possible gaps if you can. Thanks

Re: questions??? post op TTS surgery 6 weeks

Missy B on 7/04/02 at 17:32 (089129)

LaVona,
I started my physical therapy at 8 weeks post-op from PF/TT surgery. On the first day, my therapists gave me a set of stretching and flexing exercises to do at home in addition to what I did during each session. Over a total of 12 sessions, they progressed me thru wall stretching, walking on a treadmill, pedaling a stationary bike, working on a foot rotational board, rolling a towel into a ball with my toes, balancing on one leg on a trampoline, and climbing stairs. I did not have any whirlpool therapy, although some who post here did. I started out with 45 minute sessions and worked up to 1 1/2 hour sessions during the last week. At the end of each session, I would get a 15 minute iontophoresis treatment - it is hard to explain, but they put a pad soaked with a medicine on the bottom of my heel and applied electric stimulation to aid in the absorption of the med - sounds bad, but it really did not hurt at all.

As for pain meds - I took a prescription anti-inflamatory called Toradol for one week following my surgery. I had tried Celebrex and it did not provide much relief, so my doctor told me to try ibuprophen, and that helped, so that was all I took. I had tried neurontin before my surgery, but I broke out in hives, so had to discontinue its use. I am 23 weeks post-op now, and I only occasionally take ibuprophen to relieve discomfort. Your doctor may have good reasons why he wants you on those meds, but you really should try to get him to understand how bad they make you feel. If these are prescribed by your pod or orthopedist, then ask you primary care doctor for his/her opinion. With all the drugs on the market today, there is little excuse for a doctor not to work with a patient until they hit on something that helps without causing so many side-effects.

I actually had 2 incisions - my larger one is 4 inches long and runs from just below my ankle bone to the edge of my foot bottom. The other incision is about an inch long and is about an inch in front of the other one - closer to my arch area. For the first 8 weeks, I massaged cocoa butter into them several times a day to help the skin stay soft and supple and retard scar formation. Now I only do it a few times a week.

I wish you the best of luck in your recovery - remember to take it slow - we all heal at different rates so do not set yourself a timetable - your foot will be the best indicator of when it is time to take the next step (no pun intended).

Missy B.

Re: questions??? post op TTS surgery 6 weeks

Missy B on 7/04/02 at 17:32 (089129)

LaVona,
I started my physical therapy at 8 weeks post-op from PF/TT surgery. On the first day, my therapists gave me a set of stretching and flexing exercises to do at home in addition to what I did during each session. Over a total of 12 sessions, they progressed me thru wall stretching, walking on a treadmill, pedaling a stationary bike, working on a foot rotational board, rolling a towel into a ball with my toes, balancing on one leg on a trampoline, and climbing stairs. I did not have any whirlpool therapy, although some who post here did. I started out with 45 minute sessions and worked up to 1 1/2 hour sessions during the last week. At the end of each session, I would get a 15 minute iontophoresis treatment - it is hard to explain, but they put a pad soaked with a medicine on the bottom of my heel and applied electric stimulation to aid in the absorption of the med - sounds bad, but it really did not hurt at all.

As for pain meds - I took a prescription anti-inflamatory called Toradol for one week following my surgery. I had tried Celebrex and it did not provide much relief, so my doctor told me to try ibuprophen, and that helped, so that was all I took. I had tried neurontin before my surgery, but I broke out in hives, so had to discontinue its use. I am 23 weeks post-op now, and I only occasionally take ibuprophen to relieve discomfort. Your doctor may have good reasons why he wants you on those meds, but you really should try to get him to understand how bad they make you feel. If these are prescribed by your pod or orthopedist, then ask you primary care doctor for his/her opinion. With all the drugs on the market today, there is little excuse for a doctor not to work with a patient until they hit on something that helps without causing so many side-effects.

I actually had 2 incisions - my larger one is 4 inches long and runs from just below my ankle bone to the edge of my foot bottom. The other incision is about an inch long and is about an inch in front of the other one - closer to my arch area. For the first 8 weeks, I massaged cocoa butter into them several times a day to help the skin stay soft and supple and retard scar formation. Now I only do it a few times a week.

I wish you the best of luck in your recovery - remember to take it slow - we all heal at different rates so do not set yourself a timetable - your foot will be the best indicator of when it is time to take the next step (no pun intended).

Missy B.