Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Barbara S - How have you been doing

Posted by Missy B on 7/04/02 at 22:23 (089151)

Hi Barbara,
I haven't seen too many posts from you lately and I was wondering how you are progressing. Is the pain and swelling in your foot/ankle getting any better? Is your physical therapy beginning to help? I read your post below about your staying home to watch your grandchild - just keep thinking positive that next year you will be able to join everyone for the fireworks. I stayed home also this year - partly because it is my holiday/weekend to work and I usually try to get to bed early as I am up at 5am; but also, I have found that my foot tends to swell a little in this very hot, very humid weather we are experiencing - so I decided to stay home and 'ice' rather than go out and 'bake' (pardon my kitchen puns).

I hope you are beginning to see at least a little progress - remember, don't set a timetable for your recovery. Even if you feel you are healing slower than others, don't worry. Focus on each improvement, no matter how little, and consider it one step closer to returning to an active life again.

Missy B.

Re: Barbara S - How have you been doing

Barbara s on 7/04/02 at 23:16 (089155)

Hi Missy B. Thanks for responding. I have been reading the board,but haven't posted as my progress is so slow, it is very frustrating. My fibro. has also been acting up,because of the inactivity,so posting is hard on my neck,shoulder and back.
I have been in therapy three times a week for 6wks now. The last two weeks I have been sort of walking in the pool and doing stretches. I finally gave up my wheelchair. I was just using it mostly in the kitchen when I had to stand alot. So now I'm up more. My foot still swells alot. Starts out normal in am when I get up,but by the time I go to therapy,around 9 or 10am it is already swelling and continues to get larger as the day goes on. The incision by my ankle and up my leg is still very tender as is that area. We tried the compression sock,but that just made my swelling worse,so we stopped after 2 days. I see the Ortho surgeon on July 9th.
I am trying to retire from Ameritech. My attorney is putting together a proposal. It is not that I'm not ever going to work again,but I would like to retire and take it easy for the rest of the year. Hopefully that will happen soon as I run out of vacation on July 18th. Too bad it already didn't happen. On my way to therapy the other day I saw a notice at a trucking company for data entry 10am to 2pm. This would have been so great only 10min drive from my home and only 4hrs a day. Oh well hopefully something like that will come up when I'm ready.
The weather here in Milwaukee, Wisconsin has been terrible hot also. It seems like it has been 90-100 for over 2wks now. We really got some relief here by the lake early this evening temp dropped in the 70's. It made for a cool fireworks,everyone came home for warms clothes around 8pm.
Lucky the park is only 10min drive from our home.
At least I finally convinced my husband to but an air conditioner in our bedroom. I told him I need a peaceful place to go during the day when things got hectic. We but our smaller one up there and but a larger one in family room and but a fan in hallway which really helped cool off the living room. I had my son go and get one for our kitchen and he put that in on Mon. afternoon. So now things are pretty livable on our home. It was just too hot for me and the baby, who is 4months old.
We have a 18 foot round above ground swimming pool, so I have seen alot of my older grandsons the past two weeks. They call almost every morning and ask grandma can we come over and swim this this afternoon after our chores are done. Of course I tell them yes. They swim all afernoon till 4 or 5pm when dad comes and picks them up. They only live about 6-7 blocks from our home.
I have finally gone out to see a few of their baseball games. Eleven year old grandson had tournaments last week and played two games last Sat. in 90 degree weather. THey lost first game by one run and were so tired for the second game they last by 10 runs the team they played came in fresh,their team,the Mets were the only team that played two games.
They did make it to the championship game on Tue night and won in overtime.
It was great as all three grandsons were on the Mets last yr and the won the championship game then also.
They two thirteen year olds start their All Star games this Tue. They will play at least six games.
Guess I better end could talk about my grandsons forever they are great kids.
Hope everyone had a great 4th. Take care and God Bless everyone.
Barbara S.
(Ps hope this doesn't post twice. I one post almost done and hit wrong key)

Re: Barbara S - How have you been doing

Barbara s on 7/04/02 at 23:16 (089155)

Hi Missy B. Thanks for responding. I have been reading the board,but haven't posted as my progress is so slow, it is very frustrating. My fibro. has also been acting up,because of the inactivity,so posting is hard on my neck,shoulder and back.
I have been in therapy three times a week for 6wks now. The last two weeks I have been sort of walking in the pool and doing stretches. I finally gave up my wheelchair. I was just using it mostly in the kitchen when I had to stand alot. So now I'm up more. My foot still swells alot. Starts out normal in am when I get up,but by the time I go to therapy,around 9 or 10am it is already swelling and continues to get larger as the day goes on. The incision by my ankle and up my leg is still very tender as is that area. We tried the compression sock,but that just made my swelling worse,so we stopped after 2 days. I see the Ortho surgeon on July 9th.
I am trying to retire from Ameritech. My attorney is putting together a proposal. It is not that I'm not ever going to work again,but I would like to retire and take it easy for the rest of the year. Hopefully that will happen soon as I run out of vacation on July 18th. Too bad it already didn't happen. On my way to therapy the other day I saw a notice at a trucking company for data entry 10am to 2pm. This would have been so great only 10min drive from my home and only 4hrs a day. Oh well hopefully something like that will come up when I'm ready.
The weather here in Milwaukee, Wisconsin has been terrible hot also. It seems like it has been 90-100 for over 2wks now. We really got some relief here by the lake early this evening temp dropped in the 70's. It made for a cool fireworks,everyone came home for warms clothes around 8pm.
Lucky the park is only 10min drive from our home.
At least I finally convinced my husband to but an air conditioner in our bedroom. I told him I need a peaceful place to go during the day when things got hectic. We but our smaller one up there and but a larger one in family room and but a fan in hallway which really helped cool off the living room. I had my son go and get one for our kitchen and he put that in on Mon. afternoon. So now things are pretty livable on our home. It was just too hot for me and the baby, who is 4months old.
We have a 18 foot round above ground swimming pool, so I have seen alot of my older grandsons the past two weeks. They call almost every morning and ask grandma can we come over and swim this this afternoon after our chores are done. Of course I tell them yes. They swim all afernoon till 4 or 5pm when dad comes and picks them up. They only live about 6-7 blocks from our home.
I have finally gone out to see a few of their baseball games. Eleven year old grandson had tournaments last week and played two games last Sat. in 90 degree weather. THey lost first game by one run and were so tired for the second game they last by 10 runs the team they played came in fresh,their team,the Mets were the only team that played two games.
They did make it to the championship game on Tue night and won in overtime.
It was great as all three grandsons were on the Mets last yr and the won the championship game then also.
They two thirteen year olds start their All Star games this Tue. They will play at least six games.
Guess I better end could talk about my grandsons forever they are great kids.
Hope everyone had a great 4th. Take care and God Bless everyone.
Barbara S.
(Ps hope this doesn't post twice. I one post almost done and hit wrong key)