Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

ESWT Recovery Time

Posted by David M on 7/05/02 at 21:09 (089196)

I recently completed a round of ESWT four treatments with the Sonorex machine in Vancouver. This Monday (the 8th) will mark the 8th week after my last treatment. So far I have shown little, if any, improvement. Actually, my left foot, the better of the two, has benefited a little, but nothing much. I have been trying to stay off my feet as much as possible, but one has to walk and stand. Both still prove painful. Tennis is more and more a fading dream.

I'm beginning to think that ESWT has not worked for me. I was wondering if anyone could share their experiences with me and if they had advice as to whether or not I should pursue additional treatments. I may, because if ESWT doesn't work, the remaining options cortisone and surgery are hardly appealing. If I do, perhaps I should try another type of machine, perhaps one of the high-level ones.

I should add that I've had PF for around 8 months and have tried several conservative treatments, including orthotics, physiotherapy, taping, ice, rest, the foot trainer, stretching and strengthening, and Celebrex. Of course, all to no avail.

Would appreciate any enlightening and encouraging thoughts

David M

Re: ESWT Recovery Time

Dr. Zuckerman on 7/05/02 at 21:19 (089198)

Hi

My understand of low energy ESWT is that it takes about six weeks. With high energy it take up to twelve years to see the results. Sometimes with low energy another round is needed. Sometimes with high energy a second treatment is needed I hope this is helpful

Mary Beth S on 7/06/02 at 19:59 (089229)

Dr. Z., I believe you meant to say 12 weeks not 12 years. Thanks. MB

Rachael T. on 7/06/02 at 22:14 (089236)

David, I read your post & sighed when you wrote that tennis was more & more of a fading dream....I, at times, have felt the same w/ my profession & my passion - which is riding horses. I am a professional competitive show horse trainer -- but I must say, I am riding again - not as much as before PF.....but I am riding alot more now than a few months ago....sure, I've disastrous days but on the whole, if I tape & do the vioxx, ice, & caretake my feet - as well as 'budget' their usage - I can manage to still ride....so I guess I am saying that tennis is not a fading dream.....just one that is on hold for a bit. PF onset occurred in 4/2001; I had ESWT, all the conservative treatments, many cort. injections, pred. packets, & more.....over 1 year later, I am feeling much improved; but PF is still with me - PF reminds me to not overdo! I hope you get feeling better soon!

Dr. Zuckerman on 7/07/02 at 07:09 (089243)

Thanks. Twelve weeks in the time period.

Re: ESWT Recovery Time + Silicone Massaging Orthotics

Ron P. on 7/09/02 at 17:36 (089371)

Dear David i would add Dr Kiper Silocne Orthotics to your treatment...their the best for PF & u get money back if no results in 8 weeks...talk to him & tell him your history...let us know if he will risk his rep on so tough a case...Good Luck Ron P Sunnyvale CA

Dr. Zuckerman on 7/05/02 at 21:19 (089198)

Hi

My understand of low energy ESWT is that it takes about six weeks. With high energy it take up to twelve years to see the results. Sometimes with low energy another round is needed. Sometimes with high energy a second treatment is needed I hope this is helpful

Mary Beth S on 7/06/02 at 19:59 (089229)

Dr. Z., I believe you meant to say 12 weeks not 12 years. Thanks. MB

Rachael T. on 7/06/02 at 22:14 (089236)

David, I read your post & sighed when you wrote that tennis was more & more of a fading dream....I, at times, have felt the same w/ my profession & my passion - which is riding horses. I am a professional competitive show horse trainer -- but I must say, I am riding again - not as much as before PF.....but I am riding alot more now than a few months ago....sure, I've disastrous days but on the whole, if I tape & do the vioxx, ice, & caretake my feet - as well as 'budget' their usage - I can manage to still ride....so I guess I am saying that tennis is not a fading dream.....just one that is on hold for a bit. PF onset occurred in 4/2001; I had ESWT, all the conservative treatments, many cort. injections, pred. packets, & more.....over 1 year later, I am feeling much improved; but PF is still with me - PF reminds me to not overdo! I hope you get feeling better soon!

Dr. Zuckerman on 7/07/02 at 07:09 (089243)

Thanks. Twelve weeks in the time period.

Re: ESWT Recovery Time + Silicone Massaging Orthotics

Ron P. on 7/09/02 at 17:36 (089371)

Dear David i would add Dr Kiper Silocne Orthotics to your treatment...their the best for PF & u get money back if no results in 8 weeks...talk to him & tell him your history...let us know if he will risk his rep on so tough a case...Good Luck Ron P Sunnyvale CA