Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Does PF go away, or is it lingering?

Posted by John O. on 7/06/02 at 22:05 (089235)

I am having my first bout with PF at age 28, six months into my new running program. I have taped for the past few days and have laid off of running for the past week. It feels a bit better, but I am concerned that I am now destined to have this pain whenever I run.

With rest, stretching and other assorted techniques, is it possible to say 'goodbye' to this condition?

Re: Does PF go away, or is it lingering?

Carole C in NOLA on 7/06/02 at 23:16 (089239)

John, it's possible, and even probable that you can say 'goodbye' to this condition, but usually it takes time. For most of us, that means months rather than weeks. If you don't treat your feet early and well with the conservative treatments discussed in the heel pain book, and on these message boards, it can persist for years. But it doesn't have to.

Once it is gone it's a good idea to play it safe by wearing good shoes and not doing unusually stupid things (like, suddenly starting a vigorous regimen of recumbent bicycling barefoot with the settings on the highest tension and the seat adjusted improperly, which is how I got my PF to begin with). But otherwise, most of us do recover completely, according to the doctors.

So join us in working hard to treat our PF, and join in on this message board if you have any questions, comments, or observations.

Carole C

R C on 7/08/02 at 10:19 (089287)

Dear John,

I understand that most cases of PF resolve with conservative treatments (say, within several weeks). People tend to post on this message board for the very reason that their cases have proved to be more stubborn or complicated. I hope you are not among such cases.

Whether the PF goes away for good depends on many factors, including whether your foot has biomechanical issues that predipose you to chronic injury. A podiatrist can help you determine whether that is the case, and if so, try to fit you with a corrective shoe insert. It is possible that the inserts will keep you pain-free through a daily running program.

On the other hand, your case could be similar to mine. I struggled mightily with PF for 2+ years, and even though I am now cured, I have decided to give up running (except to escape from a charging rhino!). With very flat feet, and no success with shoe inserts, I would probably be at high risk for re-injury. I now swim for exercise, and that has proved to be a satisfactory solution.

Taping is a good thing. Rest is also essential. I urge you to keep it up until your PF is all gone, and then ease back into your regular activity levels.

R C

Re: PF Cannot Rest so have Silicone Orthotics

Ron P. on 7/09/02 at 17:15 (089370)

Hi John...i think mine would have healed itself if i could rest enough. Instead i got Silicone Fluid Orthotics frm Dr Kiper (www.drkiper.com) They seem to cushion & massage... so slowly grows new fascia. Who knows what really happened. I need to wear mine all the time in all my diff. shoes...ugh. i like the fact he answerers questions promptly & gives the long trial period...Good Luck Ron P

Ellen J. on 7/09/02 at 23:02 (089398)

I used to really love running until I got P.F. and have had it for 3 yrs. However, I think I would have gotten over it much sooner if I had not kept making attempts at running and if I had staying in my most comfortable pair of shoes and no other shoes. Each time my feet felt better I thought I could try running again, and it just served to perpetuate the problem. The other reason I've had this condition for awhile is that it has taken me this long to figure out what my feet really want. Now that I know what I should and shouldn't do, my feet are finally getting better. I don't know if I'll ever attempt running again, but I'm willing to substitute it for cycling. I keep having dreams of running when I'm asleep and I feel disappointed when I wake up and realize it was just a dream. However, I now appreciate just being able to walk around and accomplish simple things that I couldn't do for awhile, so it's OK that I can't run. My biggest lesson that I'm learning is patience--a very hard thing, since I'm the type that likes to go at things full tilt once I get my mind set.
Good luck to you, and I bet you will get over this.
Ellen

john h on 7/10/02 at 18:08 (089431)

Ellen you sound very much like me. I do not think I will go back to running either even if my PF would allow me. I would like to run one final 5K or 10k race and give it all I got. Like the Air Force song 'You live in fame or go down in flames__'.

Re: The dreams are better than the races themselves

Sandy H. on 7/11/02 at 22:27 (089521)

The dreams are better than the races actually were for me. Remember how boring running could be in reality. Then you won't feel so bad!

John O. on 7/12/02 at 15:58 (089572)

Thank you to everyone for your thoughtful replies. I have been wearing a great pear of New Balance 854 for the past week and taping a bit. The fire is out for most of the day and night. I've stopped running completely and have begun swimming daily. I will continue to swim daily until the foot heals. My plan is to wait 30 days following the last sign of pain before resuming running.

Once again, thanks for the great replies!

Carole C in NOLA on 7/06/02 at 23:16 (089239)

John, it's possible, and even probable that you can say 'goodbye' to this condition, but usually it takes time. For most of us, that means months rather than weeks. If you don't treat your feet early and well with the conservative treatments discussed in the heel pain book, and on these message boards, it can persist for years. But it doesn't have to.

Once it is gone it's a good idea to play it safe by wearing good shoes and not doing unusually stupid things (like, suddenly starting a vigorous regimen of recumbent bicycling barefoot with the settings on the highest tension and the seat adjusted improperly, which is how I got my PF to begin with). But otherwise, most of us do recover completely, according to the doctors.

So join us in working hard to treat our PF, and join in on this message board if you have any questions, comments, or observations.

Carole C

R C on 7/08/02 at 10:19 (089287)

Dear John,

I understand that most cases of PF resolve with conservative treatments (say, within several weeks). People tend to post on this message board for the very reason that their cases have proved to be more stubborn or complicated. I hope you are not among such cases.

Whether the PF goes away for good depends on many factors, including whether your foot has biomechanical issues that predipose you to chronic injury. A podiatrist can help you determine whether that is the case, and if so, try to fit you with a corrective shoe insert. It is possible that the inserts will keep you pain-free through a daily running program.

On the other hand, your case could be similar to mine. I struggled mightily with PF for 2+ years, and even though I am now cured, I have decided to give up running (except to escape from a charging rhino!). With very flat feet, and no success with shoe inserts, I would probably be at high risk for re-injury. I now swim for exercise, and that has proved to be a satisfactory solution.

Taping is a good thing. Rest is also essential. I urge you to keep it up until your PF is all gone, and then ease back into your regular activity levels.

R C

Re: PF Cannot Rest so have Silicone Orthotics

Ron P. on 7/09/02 at 17:15 (089370)

Hi John...i think mine would have healed itself if i could rest enough. Instead i got Silicone Fluid Orthotics frm Dr Kiper (www.drkiper.com) They seem to cushion & massage... so slowly grows new fascia. Who knows what really happened. I need to wear mine all the time in all my diff. shoes...ugh. i like the fact he answerers questions promptly & gives the long trial period...Good Luck Ron P

Ellen J. on 7/09/02 at 23:02 (089398)

I used to really love running until I got P.F. and have had it for 3 yrs. However, I think I would have gotten over it much sooner if I had not kept making attempts at running and if I had staying in my most comfortable pair of shoes and no other shoes. Each time my feet felt better I thought I could try running again, and it just served to perpetuate the problem. The other reason I've had this condition for awhile is that it has taken me this long to figure out what my feet really want. Now that I know what I should and shouldn't do, my feet are finally getting better. I don't know if I'll ever attempt running again, but I'm willing to substitute it for cycling. I keep having dreams of running when I'm asleep and I feel disappointed when I wake up and realize it was just a dream. However, I now appreciate just being able to walk around and accomplish simple things that I couldn't do for awhile, so it's OK that I can't run. My biggest lesson that I'm learning is patience--a very hard thing, since I'm the type that likes to go at things full tilt once I get my mind set.
Good luck to you, and I bet you will get over this.
Ellen

john h on 7/10/02 at 18:08 (089431)

Ellen you sound very much like me. I do not think I will go back to running either even if my PF would allow me. I would like to run one final 5K or 10k race and give it all I got. Like the Air Force song 'You live in fame or go down in flames__'.

Sandy H. on 7/11/02 at 22:27 (089521)

The dreams are better than the races actually were for me. Remember how boring running could be in reality. Then you won't feel so bad!

John O. on 7/12/02 at 15:58 (089572)

Thank you to everyone for your thoughtful replies. I have been wearing a great pear of New Balance 854 for the past week and taping a bit. The fire is out for most of the day and night. I've stopped running completely and have begun swimming daily. I will continue to swim daily until the foot heals. My plan is to wait 30 days following the last sign of pain before resuming running.

Once again, thanks for the great replies!