Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Birkenstock and orthotics

Posted by Jean P. on 7/07/02 at 19:37 (089254)

Are you suppose to put the orthotics in the sandals? I don't have Birkenstocks but am thinking of giving them a try. I am sick of wearing just sneakers and they are hot for the summer. I have very flexible feet which my pod says is a bad thing. I think I pronate but I am not sure. Thank you for any help you can provide.

Re: Birkenstock and orthotics

Carole C in NOLA on 7/07/02 at 22:22 (089271)

Birkenstocks are mainly known because of their classic orthotic footbed. It's made of cork, and gradually molds to the shape of your foot. It's very helpful to many of us with PF, and Birkenstocks can be a welcome change for a while each day if you normally wear your custom orthotics instead.

Most people start with the Birkenstock Arizona, which is the most popular model with PF sufferers, both male and female. It comes with the classic orthotic footbed, which is not removable.

Some people never do get used to the Birkenstock footbed, and so they instead buy a model such as the Nebraska, which has a removable footbed. Then they can take it out and put something else in.

I hope this helps.

Carole C

Jean P. on 7/08/02 at 12:51 (089295)

Thanks Carole. I'll go to a shoe and try on both styles.

Carole C in NOLA on 7/07/02 at 22:22 (089271)

Birkenstocks are mainly known because of their classic orthotic footbed. It's made of cork, and gradually molds to the shape of your foot. It's very helpful to many of us with PF, and Birkenstocks can be a welcome change for a while each day if you normally wear your custom orthotics instead.

Most people start with the Birkenstock Arizona, which is the most popular model with PF sufferers, both male and female. It comes with the classic orthotic footbed, which is not removable.

Some people never do get used to the Birkenstock footbed, and so they instead buy a model such as the Nebraska, which has a removable footbed. Then they can take it out and put something else in.

I hope this helps.

Carole C

Jean P. on 7/08/02 at 12:51 (089295)

Thanks Carole. I'll go to a shoe and try on both styles.