Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

swelling and redness on top of foot, possibly caused by tight shoe?

Posted by shyam p on 7/08/02 at 16:00 (089305)

I walk about three miles most days. Three days ago (Thursday), I felt that my right shoe was tight, and pressing on my little toe. I should have stopped but continued walking at a fast pace for another two miles. Since then I have experienced a good deal of pain in that foot. Moving the toes or the foot as a whole seems to help but only temporarily. Last night I noticed that the right foot was swollen compared to the left foot, and it has remained so today. I had gone swimming on Wednesday night in a public pool. One possibility I am considering is that I picked up something around the pool, which led to foot swelling noticed on Thursday, although this does not seem too likely. ( I do not have any open wounds on the foot, and the public pool is pretty good in hygiene).

There is some redness on the top of the foot. There is no pain on the bottom of the foot, nor at the heel nor near the big toe. The pain is pretty much only in the upper right quadrant of the (right) foot. I have not been able to get a doctor's appointment so far, which is not surprising here in Canada where doctors are getting somewhat scarce.

I had a thorough blood and urine test recently. I do not have any indication of diabetes or other diseases. I am 59 and in very good health.

Any ideas will be appreciated: Shyam P

Re: swelling and redness on top of foot, possibly caused by tight shoe?

wendyn on 7/08/02 at 20:26 (089324)

Shyam, I am not a doctor.

If you think there's any possibility that you picked up a weird infection - go to emerg or a walk in clinic if you can't get into the doctor.

mike dills on 7/08/02 at 23:51 (089333)

Could be gout, any rich foods? Most likely just tight shoes, wear shoes that fit from the metatarsal and back, not just the shoe, the back 3/4 are the important fit, let the toes free.

mike

mike dills on 7/08/02 at 23:53 (089334)

Sorry, not gout, just let the toes hang out. mike

Shyam P on 7/12/02 at 17:30 (089581)

Thank you very much to Wendyn and Mike Dills. I would like to give an update. I went to see a doctor who said that there had been a crack in the skin between my toes and prescribed Cloxacillin, 500 mg., 4 times a day for 10 days. Soon after this my young daughter discovered that there was some pus in the crack and proceeded to remove a lot of it with the help of my wife. This improved the condition of the foot greatly, with the pain almost disappearing. I saw the doctor again two days later who said that I should continue with the antibiotics even if the pus had been removed because there was an obvious infection in there. She also said that such cases, if not treated quickly, can result in the infection spreading to other parts of the body and in blood poisoning which can require antibiotics administered by IV. She also advised to soak the foot for five or so minutes in warm water to which some salt had been added. I hope that this information will be of benefit to some others who might run into a similar problem: Shyam

wendyn on 7/08/02 at 20:26 (089324)

Shyam, I am not a doctor.

If you think there's any possibility that you picked up a weird infection - go to emerg or a walk in clinic if you can't get into the doctor.

mike dills on 7/08/02 at 23:51 (089333)

Could be gout, any rich foods? Most likely just tight shoes, wear shoes that fit from the metatarsal and back, not just the shoe, the back 3/4 are the important fit, let the toes free.

mike

mike dills on 7/08/02 at 23:53 (089334)

Sorry, not gout, just let the toes hang out. mike

Shyam P on 7/12/02 at 17:30 (089581)

Thank you very much to Wendyn and Mike Dills. I would like to give an update. I went to see a doctor who said that there had been a crack in the skin between my toes and prescribed Cloxacillin, 500 mg., 4 times a day for 10 days. Soon after this my young daughter discovered that there was some pus in the crack and proceeded to remove a lot of it with the help of my wife. This improved the condition of the foot greatly, with the pain almost disappearing. I saw the doctor again two days later who said that I should continue with the antibiotics even if the pus had been removed because there was an obvious infection in there. She also said that such cases, if not treated quickly, can result in the infection spreading to other parts of the body and in blood poisoning which can require antibiotics administered by IV. She also advised to soak the foot for five or so minutes in warm water to which some salt had been added. I hope that this information will be of benefit to some others who might run into a similar problem: Shyam