Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

accessory navicular and posterior tendonitis

Posted by Nancy R. on 7/08/02 at 16:00 (089306)

I have an accessory navicular bone in my left foot. The doc thinks it's the result of a fracture that didn't heal properly. I was treated with an air cast, rest, and physical therapy, including iontophresis. The pain in my foot, which had graduated from only while running to constant before I finally saw the doctor, improved greatly. We thought I was healed, and I was released to a run/walk program. Unfortunately, any time I try to increase my activity level, the pain returns. I was released to run two months ago, at which point the doc said it would be about two weeks until I could progress to 20 min continuous running. Well, I've run for 20 minutes twice since then, and the pain always returns about 10 minutes into my run. And then my foot is so sore and tight when I stop running.

The bone is really sore and tender when I press on it. Any thoughts on what might be going on here. Could it be something other than tendonitis?

My doctor suggested that I have an MRI. Is this the best next step? He said I could have a tear in my posterior tibial tendon caused by the rubbing of the bone and that also the bone might need to be shaved down?

Re: accessory navicular and posterior tendonitis

Dr. Zuckerman on 7/08/02 at 16:04 (089307)

Hi

Are you in any type of biomechanical orthosis.? If you are and still have pain then an mri is indicated to determine is the posterior tibial tendon is injuryed. So get the mri. May need surgery

Nancy R. on 7/08/02 at 16:08 (089308)

No orthotics. Doc taped and padded my heel (I have flat feet) and that made the pain even worse. So he decided to wait on the orthotics, though he says that still might be in my future. I am in a neutral running shoe since I don't pronate. We did address biomechanics in pt. My pelvis was out of alignment, and pt said that in effect one leg was longer than the other. Alignment has been corrected with exercise. And I've worked on my running mechanics (i.e., being sure to hit with the heel and not toe first like I used to). One thing is, I haven't done the exercises they've given me as religiously as I probably should. Could that be impeding the healing process? The pt did say that my strength has improved since my first visit.

Should I schedule the mri then?

Thanks for the advice!!

Dr. Zuckerman on 7/08/02 at 18:56 (089319)

Get the Mri

Dr. Zuckerman on 7/08/02 at 16:04 (089307)

Hi

Are you in any type of biomechanical orthosis.? If you are and still have pain then an mri is indicated to determine is the posterior tibial tendon is injuryed. So get the mri. May need surgery

Nancy R. on 7/08/02 at 16:08 (089308)

No orthotics. Doc taped and padded my heel (I have flat feet) and that made the pain even worse. So he decided to wait on the orthotics, though he says that still might be in my future. I am in a neutral running shoe since I don't pronate. We did address biomechanics in pt. My pelvis was out of alignment, and pt said that in effect one leg was longer than the other. Alignment has been corrected with exercise. And I've worked on my running mechanics (i.e., being sure to hit with the heel and not toe first like I used to). One thing is, I haven't done the exercises they've given me as religiously as I probably should. Could that be impeding the healing process? The pt did say that my strength has improved since my first visit.

Should I schedule the mri then?

Thanks for the advice!!

Dr. Zuckerman on 7/08/02 at 18:56 (089319)

Get the Mri