Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

haglund surgery

Posted by marla on 7/09/02 at 11:52 (089349)

OK...here we go again. I had surgery on a haglund deformity 10/01. I am in extreme pain. Dr. cut my Health achilles tendon, and put in a soft tissue anchor to reattach tendon. Now almost a year later I am having to have the achilles tendon repaired and scar tissue removed, they are talking about removing a tendon from my big toe and re weaving the tendon...I went in to have a bump removed know I am in pain and my tendon is all messed up. was there any other way of doing this surgery? Why cut a heatlh tendon? Is there any other option for me know....HELP!!!!
mk

Re: haglund surgery

Dr. Zuckerman on 7/09/02 at 11:55 (089350)

IF you are going to repair the tendon I would use a cadevar tendon as oppposed to taking another healthy tendon and using it. I don't agree that you should use a tendon from the big toe. Are you sure you had a haglunds problem. There is no involvement of the achilles tendon with a haglund boney bump

marla on 7/10/02 at 14:09 (089420)

Thanks for responding. Yes, on all my papers and office notes and surgery notes it says Haglund Deformity. I had a boney bump in the back of my heel about 2 inches up from bottom of foot. It was red and hurt when i wore shoes. I am so worried that this extreme pain will not go away and I will not be able to walk correctly ever again. I have looked all over the internet to find out just how a haglund surgery is done...or the norm of doing this surgery...can you give me a directionon this, or explain it to me. I think also that the soft tissue anchor in my heel is causing alot of the pain and also the scar tissue. Thnks for all your help....look forward to your response.
marla

Dr. Zuckerman on 7/11/02 at 14:32 (089480)

A haglund surgery is different. Most of the time the boney enlargement is removed. This is on the upper outside of the heel. This is completely away from the achilles tendon. Before any additional foot surgery you might want a second opinion for your specific problem. IF the achilles is torn or weaken then then it must be repaired.

Dr. Zuckerman on 7/09/02 at 11:55 (089350)

IF you are going to repair the tendon I would use a cadevar tendon as oppposed to taking another healthy tendon and using it. I don't agree that you should use a tendon from the big toe. Are you sure you had a haglunds problem. There is no involvement of the achilles tendon with a haglund boney bump

marla on 7/10/02 at 14:09 (089420)

Thanks for responding. Yes, on all my papers and office notes and surgery notes it says Haglund Deformity. I had a boney bump in the back of my heel about 2 inches up from bottom of foot. It was red and hurt when i wore shoes. I am so worried that this extreme pain will not go away and I will not be able to walk correctly ever again. I have looked all over the internet to find out just how a haglund surgery is done...or the norm of doing this surgery...can you give me a directionon this, or explain it to me. I think also that the soft tissue anchor in my heel is causing alot of the pain and also the scar tissue. Thnks for all your help....look forward to your response.
marla

Dr. Zuckerman on 7/11/02 at 14:32 (089480)

A haglund surgery is different. Most of the time the boney enlargement is removed. This is on the upper outside of the heel. This is completely away from the achilles tendon. Before any additional foot surgery you might want a second opinion for your specific problem. IF the achilles is torn or weaken then then it must be repaired.