Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

foot massager?

Posted by paula on 7/09/02 at 18:16 (089376)

anyone know of a good one? i think i would really benifit from one. i keep imagining putting my feet on something that vibrates. well i could climb onto the washer or dryer but seems more relaxing to get a massager.

Re: foot massager?

Kathy G on 7/09/02 at 19:16 (089378)

Paula,

If I climbed up onto the washing machine, I'd probably fall off!

Personally, I have such ticklish feet that I can't stand any of the foot massagers. The vibration drives me crazy. My POD told me, a long time ago, that if I asked nicely, my husband might be willing to rub my feet. Well, I asked and he rubbed my feet and it was wonderful! Now I don't even have to ask! He just can't believe I'll let him touch my feet because in the past, I would cringe if anyone even went near my feet because I am so ticklish!

Anyway, don't know if you have a husband or significant other, but that's what I do..

The boards are kind of slow right now because of the holiday and vacations. Hope you get some answers.

Mahatmelissama on 7/10/02 at 12:31 (089413)

I got one I am borrowing from my Chiro that vibrates and has heat. I will have to check and get back with ya.

paula on 7/10/02 at 16:44 (089429)

thanks. how;s it do you? does it help?

john h on 7/11/02 at 11:11 (089471)

Paula: I bought one from the Sharper Image several years ago. It not only vibrates but has some massagers on it that are much like fingers and can really massage your foot like a person. You can contole the speeds and adjustmets with your feet. It is also angled so your feet are cofortable when you are sitting. I have not used it for some months. I sort of go in spurts with it but it is one of the better ones I have seen. Not inexpensive.

Re: Or is it better not to rub inflamed feet?

Sandy H. on 7/11/02 at 22:34 (089523)

I stopped pressing on my arches as an experiment to see whether constant rubbing is making matters worse. Not sure yet. Any opinions?

R C on 7/12/02 at 08:29 (089528)

I've been using one of those inexpensive rolling massagers. It is more or less a simple cylindrical dowel (approx. 1.5' thick); you put it on the floor and roll your foot over it back and forth. Feels good. Seems to help. I keep one right next to the bed and give it a few rolls every morning. There's another one by the couch, so I can get some rolls in while watching the tube.

Kathy G on 7/12/02 at 09:25 (089535)

Just a quick note on what I've found. I used to use a frozen soda can to roll my feet but discussion on the boards indicated that I was probably hurting, more than helping, so I stopped. did find that I was better off not doing it. I don't have time to do a search right now to find out why it was considered by many not to be a good idea. Again, one needs to do whatever works for his/her condition.

As to massaging inflamed tissue, my personal finding is that when I rub my own feet, it doesn't seem to help a whole lot but when my husband does it, it helps a great deal. Maybe I relax more - maybe it's all in my mind! But it never occurred to me to even have him do it until my POD suggested it. So, in one doctor's opinion, it is considered to be beneficial. He gently massages, by the way. When I went to PT, they massaged so aggressively, it almost killed me!

I think, like everything with PF, one needs to go through a period of trial and error and see what suits them personally.

Re: Foot Pro Ultra by Homedics

Mahatmelissama on 7/13/02 at 16:11 (089610)

is what I am using.

Mike D on 7/16/02 at 23:34 (089834)

The Homedics (model PA-1) is a real heavy duty model with dual vibrating heads--I have never found a stronger one. It is much stronger than the single post units that you can buy in the local drug stores. As it was a gift, I cannot tell you where to get them.

Kathy G on 7/09/02 at 19:16 (089378)

Paula,

If I climbed up onto the washing machine, I'd probably fall off!

Personally, I have such ticklish feet that I can't stand any of the foot massagers. The vibration drives me crazy. My POD told me, a long time ago, that if I asked nicely, my husband might be willing to rub my feet. Well, I asked and he rubbed my feet and it was wonderful! Now I don't even have to ask! He just can't believe I'll let him touch my feet because in the past, I would cringe if anyone even went near my feet because I am so ticklish!

Anyway, don't know if you have a husband or significant other, but that's what I do..

The boards are kind of slow right now because of the holiday and vacations. Hope you get some answers.

Mahatmelissama on 7/10/02 at 12:31 (089413)

I got one I am borrowing from my Chiro that vibrates and has heat. I will have to check and get back with ya.

paula on 7/10/02 at 16:44 (089429)

thanks. how;s it do you? does it help?

john h on 7/11/02 at 11:11 (089471)

Paula: I bought one from the Sharper Image several years ago. It not only vibrates but has some massagers on it that are much like fingers and can really massage your foot like a person. You can contole the speeds and adjustmets with your feet. It is also angled so your feet are cofortable when you are sitting. I have not used it for some months. I sort of go in spurts with it but it is one of the better ones I have seen. Not inexpensive.

Re: Or is it better not to rub inflamed feet?

Sandy H. on 7/11/02 at 22:34 (089523)

I stopped pressing on my arches as an experiment to see whether constant rubbing is making matters worse. Not sure yet. Any opinions?

R C on 7/12/02 at 08:29 (089528)

I've been using one of those inexpensive rolling massagers. It is more or less a simple cylindrical dowel (approx. 1.5' thick); you put it on the floor and roll your foot over it back and forth. Feels good. Seems to help. I keep one right next to the bed and give it a few rolls every morning. There's another one by the couch, so I can get some rolls in while watching the tube.

Kathy G on 7/12/02 at 09:25 (089535)

Just a quick note on what I've found. I used to use a frozen soda can to roll my feet but discussion on the boards indicated that I was probably hurting, more than helping, so I stopped. did find that I was better off not doing it. I don't have time to do a search right now to find out why it was considered by many not to be a good idea. Again, one needs to do whatever works for his/her condition.

As to massaging inflamed tissue, my personal finding is that when I rub my own feet, it doesn't seem to help a whole lot but when my husband does it, it helps a great deal. Maybe I relax more - maybe it's all in my mind! But it never occurred to me to even have him do it until my POD suggested it. So, in one doctor's opinion, it is considered to be beneficial. He gently massages, by the way. When I went to PT, they massaged so aggressively, it almost killed me!

I think, like everything with PF, one needs to go through a period of trial and error and see what suits them personally.

Re: Foot Pro Ultra by Homedics

Mahatmelissama on 7/13/02 at 16:11 (089610)

is what I am using.

Mike D on 7/16/02 at 23:34 (089834)

The Homedics (model PA-1) is a real heavy duty model with dual vibrating heads--I have never found a stronger one. It is much stronger than the single post units that you can buy in the local drug stores. As it was a gift, I cannot tell you where to get them.