Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Making progress

Posted by Tom M on 7/09/02 at 20:45 (089382)

I've begun wearing my orthotic on the stairmaster and the bicycle. I considered them to be relativley low-impact so didn't see the need. Well I do seem to be making a little improvement. Maybe I should tape ALSO? Anyway I've been able to cut down on the NSIADS. I want to thank everyone who responded to my posts a couple weeks back. I always heard of athletes dealing with PF, but was under the impression that it was always quickly reversible. I was shocked when I suddenly came down with it because my feet were always very healthy. Have gone the injetions route with very temporary success. I am dealing with a weight problem, so I'd like to avoid surgery or eswt because of the recovery time. I didn't realize how common PF was until I found this site. I'll keep you all posted and please let me know what has worked in your experience.

Re: Making progress

Suzanne D on 7/11/02 at 15:44 (089488)

I'm glad you are making progress, Tom. Yes, unfortunately, many of us have found that PF takes much longer to heal than we realized would be the case. And often, just when we think we are taking a few steps forward, we find ourselves sliding back a little. But these are usually just temporary set-backs. It seems with me, and with others I have read about, that it is always best to err on the side of caution. If you think you're well enough to do something, stop short of pushing yourself to your limit. Many do feel that taping on days when you will have increased activity is wise. And because of our decreased activity, a lot of us find ourselves battling the weight gain. It is hard to lose or even to keep from gaining when you are less active. And many of us find PF occurs in that middle age time (not everyone, of course) when gaining weight is easier as well.

Yes, you're right: I never knew how common PF was until I found this site. It is a life-saver for so many!

Suzanne :-)

Re: Making progress

Suzanne D on 7/11/02 at 15:44 (089488)

I'm glad you are making progress, Tom. Yes, unfortunately, many of us have found that PF takes much longer to heal than we realized would be the case. And often, just when we think we are taking a few steps forward, we find ourselves sliding back a little. But these are usually just temporary set-backs. It seems with me, and with others I have read about, that it is always best to err on the side of caution. If you think you're well enough to do something, stop short of pushing yourself to your limit. Many do feel that taping on days when you will have increased activity is wise. And because of our decreased activity, a lot of us find ourselves battling the weight gain. It is hard to lose or even to keep from gaining when you are less active. And many of us find PF occurs in that middle age time (not everyone, of course) when gaining weight is easier as well.

Yes, you're right: I never knew how common PF was until I found this site. It is a life-saver for so many!

Suzanne :-)