Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

plantar fasciitis surgery

Posted by Sue S. on 7/10/02 at 18:40 (089438)

I have had foot pain for about 2 years which was diagnosed as plantar fasciitis. I have tried stretching, cortisone shots, orthotics and physcial therapy, but I still have the problem. My doctor says that the only thing left is surgery. I have heard this sometimes makes the problem worse. Has anyone had this surgery -- was i successful, worse or the same as before? Thanks!!

Re: Not so quickly, there are alternatives.

BrianG on 7/10/02 at 22:50 (089453)

Hi Sue,

Unfortunatly these pages are chock full of peole who have had failed surgery. When you get some time, just start reading back on this thread. Within a very short time, I think you'll find many posts that you'll wish you had never read. They just go on, and on, and on. You'll also find some success's, but these folks don't seem to stick around very long.

By reading these pages, you'll learn what questions to ask your doctor before surgery. If you don't like what he's telling you, keep looking. There are now doctors out there who will be glad to cut you, even though they may not have had any formal training in that particular procedure. Do your home work, and be prepared for a long recovery period. Check out ESWT first, as it has very few long term problems associated with it. It also seems to have a better cure rate, and I think we're in a period right now that will bear that claim out shortly. Good luck with your research, these are the only 2 feet you'll ever have, treat them well!!

BrianG

PS: have you tried ice, and taping yet?

Re: plantar fasciitis surgery

J. King on 7/11/02 at 10:12 (089468)

I guess, like you, my feet hurt but I am able to get around some. If I had a failed surgery that really crippled me this would be an outcome I am not prepared to accept. I have already had one failed surgery on my wrist and it hurts. Orthopods and others are great at fixing bones, not so great with soft tissue type things. If they cut something that cannot be regenerated I don't like that possiblity. If they srcrew you up you won't even get an apology. As a matter of fact the doctor will probably be mad at you for having problems. Get some second opinions!

adam p on 7/11/02 at 12:44 (089477)

Yes Sue, read, read, read these webpages.

'The plantar fascia are the main support of the arch' with the possible exception of this website . . .

Caveat Emptor.

AP

Sue S. on 7/11/02 at 16:56 (089492)

Hi Brian. Thnaks for your advice. Ice doesn't do much for me but taping is usually helpful. I saw a new pod today who said he thought I needed a higher arched orthotic and taped the feet really tight to see if that helps. He says if it DOES help, I don't need surgery and maintaing the arch is the key. We'll see I guess... Sue

Sue S. on 7/11/02 at 17:01 (089493)

Hi J. I feel the same way aabout surgery which is why I decided to ask around for poeple who may have had it. My feet are troublesome, but I would rather walk with some pain than not walk!! I have heard some stories from peoople who got worse after surgery and I would rahter never have the surgery than end up worse -- or given the recovery period -- I don't even want to just be the sAme. I would have to beleive it was going to make a BIG positive difference. Thanks. Sue

Tammie on 7/11/02 at 18:44 (089501)

Well Sue, I think I fall into this category somewheres. I recomend looking for all the information you can find. But first I think you should be sure you are not in so much pain and your sleep is not being interupted so that you can make a comfortable and knowledgable answer to your own !

I don't want to change or scare anyones mind so I forgoe my own stories in with this I ask for you to be patient Please as you look for those answers some ARE VERY much permanent or can LEAD to many unfavorable conditions! Take care and I do hope things all work out for you!

Gail R on 7/11/02 at 18:58 (089503)

Hi Sue, I have had the release surgery on both my feet with success. I healed quickly and was back to work in 4 to 5 weeks. I had another surgery in December for hagulands deformity. Now THAT'S another story! Wishing you well, Gail R

Sue S. on 7/11/02 at 20:26 (089512)

Gail, It's good to hear of one that really worked out OK. Being 'laid up' 4-5 weeks is still a consideration, though... Hard to fit that down-time into my schedule. It must have been tough. Hope things improve after your other surgery... Sue

BrianJ on 7/12/02 at 10:10 (089544)

No one likes to be made worse by surgery, but I think we must realize this will sometimes happen even if the surgeon performs his job perfectly. Soft tissue surgery is unpredictable, and patients do not always follow the post-op advice for rest and/or rehab. I'm not a doctor -- I'm just trying to say that a bad surgical result is not always the surgeon's fault.

Re: I have a upside down kinda storey to share and some is not so pretty

Tammie on 7/12/02 at 20:27 (089584)

This is a big Q should I or should I not! Such a large question deserves alot of attention and research ! But then if we all did that which I would say most try to find out something about there problem areas even if it is standing in endless lines trying to find the way to stand without falling or dumping everything or at the pharmicy while awaiting a script.

I guess there comes the time that we all run home and YES turn that big beautiful thing on and say ok now search, hours and hours later after finding tons and tons of advice and advice from everyone or every site u turn to U still dont have a answer. To bad it is so hard to make and to bad it is not money back gaurentee lol But we all know this is not going to be that easy!

I think having the surgery for the Pf and a spur,which much later learning the spur darn it was NOT the pain area, even IF granny and so&so says yes it is. Having this surgery and still kinda blind into the real accents of what the odds are and what would really be the best for me and MY foot which from seemed to be forgotton that it is MY foot while laying there watching the Dr. holding the pen drawing marks on your foot and you start to think do you think I should do this or am I going to be ok dum dum dum dum ok no answer so bingo off I am and asleep I am 1, 2,3, Hello are you awake Come on hunny time to wake up (in other words/hurry up and wake up I want to get all out of here by 4 I am tired and want to get home and relax before I have to get baseball kids on time) No not all nurses and docs and anesthesia are really thinking this but sure feels it as they are rushing you to get up to pee and drink that juice and eat those cookies as I read your after care and the what you should not do and what can. As you drowsily nod your sleepy head and say ok ok um hum oh yes where do I sign I cant see it oh here hunny right here and we will get you right out hubby bring car up we will have her there in a few min(meanwhile u are rushed to sign put stuff in bag throw instructions in the bag and gulp the juice.You are on way home thinking wow .

After hours later , when the meds start wearing and the head is clearing and pain starts you start to panic,did I make a mistake doing this or is this the worse? ok now call the doc tell him aw I think something is wrong with med to da da da then he says ok finally I will call you in some darvecet BUT only if you bring all the bottle of the vicoden with you tomorrow when i c u bla bla bla. Ok not to bad yes hurts but then it is surgery what did i expect, next day doc says wonderful your feeling good huh and did u bring back those pills, of course just like u asked , says well now adays we have to be very carefull in how we prescribe and do da do da day into his pocket they slide.(Leaving his pt. wondering gee wonder what he is doing with them) Oh well he is the man now he fixed me all up)

Ok now we are going on weeks later turning into months and the good doc still is urging you and saying oh yea nice job there and your feeling what 80% u are saying no not that well maybe half that he says oh come now about 60% at least.You say well I dont really know and he glances over you and says well I think u need to get off that foot more now u know u need to listen to your foot bla bla bla bla. Ok now how long have you been hearing this. Ok well Yes I realize he said after surgery u will be in shoes in 10 days, not quite but only a week later. Also telling you along the way that listen listen to your body but dont st all the time just rest when body foot says so. Oh oh wrong typ its me type fireball personality. I will do this myself and I will be back in a quicker time then anyone and I will be the super women as I never am sick I never loose.

Ok now u all all of this and it is lets say aug almost sept 6 mnths, decide to do the tts surgery and well he said there was a problem and he knew it but has hoped on saving me a nother surgery. yea ya um hum sucker number two mistake now lets say all of this all over again and almost 1 yr after the last surgery and I am left wondering why o why did I ever let anyone touch my feet why? I thought they hurt then well yess my dear it can be much worse. So bad I just got out of the hopital do to so much pain from rsd they admited me and gave me morphine, after I had been taking meds controlled by my pain Dr., I will say I also had the stomache flu and I was dehydrated and my electrolites were all out of wack, but the pain the pain was so bad I thought I had withdrawls, no to all as I was in Cleveland Clinic the great hospital of Cleveland Ohio and they them Dr.s there said no this is RSD related/ the pain part/ the electrolites being mixed up and such is due to vomiting. that was the easy part for them they said. The Doc before he left me out said I was unbelievable as he gave me enough morphine to snow me for 3 whole days if not more he said I still would scream if they touched my foot any way it layed any way they touch or pull it lean it would send chains of pain and screaming. By those times I do not remember much except the beging please dont touch me anywhere any more . No more blood work not more anything just please let me sleep. Finally peace came and the pain level came back some also yes I was put in nice quiet room all by myself with my mom and my hubby tearfully rubbing my tears away amungst there own.Yes this is there daughter and wife,not the woman cringing and crying and pleading dont touch me please dont. Now I know this RSD cant be caused by a Dr. or anything particular but then most things that go wrong cant be proved by a novice in that area unless you choose to retain a lawyer and make that Dr. pay more insurance fees as you challenge him , so what is the real use most likly he will not be fault at all as he did te job it just did not come out as well as any of us wanted/ and me well yes this is my story and not all I must say and well it is a broken story a painful one and one that may be with me forever/ I am never saying anyone firmly is to blame but man I am saying research research dont block your ears come up out of water and open your eyes and ears as do you want this to be your story?

I debated if I should do this or not as really I do not have a right to scare any one or say at all it was mini miny mo fault things did not turn out as in all fairness it might have been a little of each.But if I can get you and one other to just think about it and maybe reconcider annd look at the eswt as at least it does not cut into nerve areas like the dr. knife did on my foot. Ask all areound here pull up old records and just see what has been hapening! I am sorry as I have taken a leave so to manage myown life I am feeling quite in control a bit now this last hospital took me by surprsise and I was relieved that they did not think it is fictionable at all they were in knowledge of it and said the blocks should help block number 1 is july 29 wish me well as I am doing so much better for looking after myself I really feel good at putting poor me in the back of my closet and now it is how can I get my life back in better shape then yesterday! I would like to help you and anyone else.

Now remember this is maybe 1 in I dont know how many cases, but they I thought that way to maybe it will be you also the 1 in how many cases. But then you may be the darn I do feel good that also comes along more often then eith er of the others! Its your site my dear and your ears dont be afraid to do what YOU think if best/ JUST do not let anyone or anything MAKE you choose or make you feel as tho it is the only answer!

BrianG on 7/10/02 at 22:50 (089453)

Hi Sue,

Unfortunatly these pages are chock full of peole who have had failed surgery. When you get some time, just start reading back on this thread. Within a very short time, I think you'll find many posts that you'll wish you had never read. They just go on, and on, and on. You'll also find some success's, but these folks don't seem to stick around very long.

By reading these pages, you'll learn what questions to ask your doctor before surgery. If you don't like what he's telling you, keep looking. There are now doctors out there who will be glad to cut you, even though they may not have had any formal training in that particular procedure. Do your home work, and be prepared for a long recovery period. Check out ESWT first, as it has very few long term problems associated with it. It also seems to have a better cure rate, and I think we're in a period right now that will bear that claim out shortly. Good luck with your research, these are the only 2 feet you'll ever have, treat them well!!

BrianG

PS: have you tried ice, and taping yet?

J. King on 7/11/02 at 10:12 (089468)

I guess, like you, my feet hurt but I am able to get around some. If I had a failed surgery that really crippled me this would be an outcome I am not prepared to accept. I have already had one failed surgery on my wrist and it hurts. Orthopods and others are great at fixing bones, not so great with soft tissue type things. If they cut something that cannot be regenerated I don't like that possiblity. If they srcrew you up you won't even get an apology. As a matter of fact the doctor will probably be mad at you for having problems. Get some second opinions!

adam p on 7/11/02 at 12:44 (089477)

Yes Sue, read, read, read these webpages.

'The plantar fascia are the main support of the arch' with the possible exception of this website . . .

Caveat Emptor.

AP

Sue S. on 7/11/02 at 16:56 (089492)

Hi Brian. Thnaks for your advice. Ice doesn't do much for me but taping is usually helpful. I saw a new pod today who said he thought I needed a higher arched orthotic and taped the feet really tight to see if that helps. He says if it DOES help, I don't need surgery and maintaing the arch is the key. We'll see I guess... Sue

Sue S. on 7/11/02 at 17:01 (089493)

Hi J. I feel the same way aabout surgery which is why I decided to ask around for poeple who may have had it. My feet are troublesome, but I would rather walk with some pain than not walk!! I have heard some stories from peoople who got worse after surgery and I would rahter never have the surgery than end up worse -- or given the recovery period -- I don't even want to just be the sAme. I would have to beleive it was going to make a BIG positive difference. Thanks. Sue

Tammie on 7/11/02 at 18:44 (089501)

Well Sue, I think I fall into this category somewheres. I recomend looking for all the information you can find. But first I think you should be sure you are not in so much pain and your sleep is not being interupted so that you can make a comfortable and knowledgable answer to your own !

I don't want to change or scare anyones mind so I forgoe my own stories in with this I ask for you to be patient Please as you look for those answers some ARE VERY much permanent or can LEAD to many unfavorable conditions! Take care and I do hope things all work out for you!

Gail R on 7/11/02 at 18:58 (089503)

Hi Sue, I have had the release surgery on both my feet with success. I healed quickly and was back to work in 4 to 5 weeks. I had another surgery in December for hagulands deformity. Now THAT'S another story! Wishing you well, Gail R

Sue S. on 7/11/02 at 20:26 (089512)

Gail, It's good to hear of one that really worked out OK. Being 'laid up' 4-5 weeks is still a consideration, though... Hard to fit that down-time into my schedule. It must have been tough. Hope things improve after your other surgery... Sue

BrianJ on 7/12/02 at 10:10 (089544)

No one likes to be made worse by surgery, but I think we must realize this will sometimes happen even if the surgeon performs his job perfectly. Soft tissue surgery is unpredictable, and patients do not always follow the post-op advice for rest and/or rehab. I'm not a doctor -- I'm just trying to say that a bad surgical result is not always the surgeon's fault.

Re: I have a upside down kinda storey to share and some is not so pretty

Tammie on 7/12/02 at 20:27 (089584)

This is a big Q should I or should I not! Such a large question deserves alot of attention and research ! But then if we all did that which I would say most try to find out something about there problem areas even if it is standing in endless lines trying to find the way to stand without falling or dumping everything or at the pharmicy while awaiting a script.

I guess there comes the time that we all run home and YES turn that big beautiful thing on and say ok now search, hours and hours later after finding tons and tons of advice and advice from everyone or every site u turn to U still dont have a answer. To bad it is so hard to make and to bad it is not money back gaurentee lol But we all know this is not going to be that easy!

I think having the surgery for the Pf and a spur,which much later learning the spur darn it was NOT the pain area, even IF granny and so&so says yes it is. Having this surgery and still kinda blind into the real accents of what the odds are and what would really be the best for me and MY foot which from seemed to be forgotton that it is MY foot while laying there watching the Dr. holding the pen drawing marks on your foot and you start to think do you think I should do this or am I going to be ok dum dum dum dum ok no answer so bingo off I am and asleep I am 1, 2,3, Hello are you awake Come on hunny time to wake up (in other words/hurry up and wake up I want to get all out of here by 4 I am tired and want to get home and relax before I have to get baseball kids on time) No not all nurses and docs and anesthesia are really thinking this but sure feels it as they are rushing you to get up to pee and drink that juice and eat those cookies as I read your after care and the what you should not do and what can. As you drowsily nod your sleepy head and say ok ok um hum oh yes where do I sign I cant see it oh here hunny right here and we will get you right out hubby bring car up we will have her there in a few min(meanwhile u are rushed to sign put stuff in bag throw instructions in the bag and gulp the juice.You are on way home thinking wow .

After hours later , when the meds start wearing and the head is clearing and pain starts you start to panic,did I make a mistake doing this or is this the worse? ok now call the doc tell him aw I think something is wrong with med to da da da then he says ok finally I will call you in some darvecet BUT only if you bring all the bottle of the vicoden with you tomorrow when i c u bla bla bla. Ok not to bad yes hurts but then it is surgery what did i expect, next day doc says wonderful your feeling good huh and did u bring back those pills, of course just like u asked , says well now adays we have to be very carefull in how we prescribe and do da do da day into his pocket they slide.(Leaving his pt. wondering gee wonder what he is doing with them) Oh well he is the man now he fixed me all up)

Ok now we are going on weeks later turning into months and the good doc still is urging you and saying oh yea nice job there and your feeling what 80% u are saying no not that well maybe half that he says oh come now about 60% at least.You say well I dont really know and he glances over you and says well I think u need to get off that foot more now u know u need to listen to your foot bla bla bla bla. Ok now how long have you been hearing this. Ok well Yes I realize he said after surgery u will be in shoes in 10 days, not quite but only a week later. Also telling you along the way that listen listen to your body but dont st all the time just rest when body foot says so. Oh oh wrong typ its me type fireball personality. I will do this myself and I will be back in a quicker time then anyone and I will be the super women as I never am sick I never loose.

Ok now u all all of this and it is lets say aug almost sept 6 mnths, decide to do the tts surgery and well he said there was a problem and he knew it but has hoped on saving me a nother surgery. yea ya um hum sucker number two mistake now lets say all of this all over again and almost 1 yr after the last surgery and I am left wondering why o why did I ever let anyone touch my feet why? I thought they hurt then well yess my dear it can be much worse. So bad I just got out of the hopital do to so much pain from rsd they admited me and gave me morphine, after I had been taking meds controlled by my pain Dr., I will say I also had the stomache flu and I was dehydrated and my electrolites were all out of wack, but the pain the pain was so bad I thought I had withdrawls, no to all as I was in Cleveland Clinic the great hospital of Cleveland Ohio and they them Dr.s there said no this is RSD related/ the pain part/ the electrolites being mixed up and such is due to vomiting. that was the easy part for them they said. The Doc before he left me out said I was unbelievable as he gave me enough morphine to snow me for 3 whole days if not more he said I still would scream if they touched my foot any way it layed any way they touch or pull it lean it would send chains of pain and screaming. By those times I do not remember much except the beging please dont touch me anywhere any more . No more blood work not more anything just please let me sleep. Finally peace came and the pain level came back some also yes I was put in nice quiet room all by myself with my mom and my hubby tearfully rubbing my tears away amungst there own.Yes this is there daughter and wife,not the woman cringing and crying and pleading dont touch me please dont. Now I know this RSD cant be caused by a Dr. or anything particular but then most things that go wrong cant be proved by a novice in that area unless you choose to retain a lawyer and make that Dr. pay more insurance fees as you challenge him , so what is the real use most likly he will not be fault at all as he did te job it just did not come out as well as any of us wanted/ and me well yes this is my story and not all I must say and well it is a broken story a painful one and one that may be with me forever/ I am never saying anyone firmly is to blame but man I am saying research research dont block your ears come up out of water and open your eyes and ears as do you want this to be your story?

I debated if I should do this or not as really I do not have a right to scare any one or say at all it was mini miny mo fault things did not turn out as in all fairness it might have been a little of each.But if I can get you and one other to just think about it and maybe reconcider annd look at the eswt as at least it does not cut into nerve areas like the dr. knife did on my foot. Ask all areound here pull up old records and just see what has been hapening! I am sorry as I have taken a leave so to manage myown life I am feeling quite in control a bit now this last hospital took me by surprsise and I was relieved that they did not think it is fictionable at all they were in knowledge of it and said the blocks should help block number 1 is july 29 wish me well as I am doing so much better for looking after myself I really feel good at putting poor me in the back of my closet and now it is how can I get my life back in better shape then yesterday! I would like to help you and anyone else.

Now remember this is maybe 1 in I dont know how many cases, but they I thought that way to maybe it will be you also the 1 in how many cases. But then you may be the darn I do feel good that also comes along more often then eith er of the others! Its your site my dear and your ears dont be afraid to do what YOU think if best/ JUST do not let anyone or anything MAKE you choose or make you feel as tho it is the only answer!

Tracy A. on 8/29/03 at 15:04 (128379)

I have had the ESWT procedure, once. (I understand it can be done twice) It seemed to work for 2 weeks with alleviating about 10% of the pain. After the third week, well it was right back to what it was prior, even worse. I'm not saying this procedure doesn't work, but the waiting period is 3 months to see if improvement is evident and everybody is different-maybe I did something different to my body during which time nullified this procedure, I'm not sure.

My ESWT was on July 10th, today is August 28th, I can no longer bear the pain and have resorted back to being the closet pill popper, taking Xanax, smoking and drinking to deal with the constant focus (stress) of trying to mentally block the pain and try to function as a 36 year old single mother with no family for support or assistance.

After suffering nearly 2 years, and feeling helpless as I can not quickly respond to numerous hazards my son has encountered because I would drop to my knees every single time I jumped to my feet to run to his aid. I still feel helpless, and I have not given up, yet.

I know how I originally damaged my heel, and I swear to get the word out to everyone-I'd even prevent my worse enemy from getting this as it is like a curse of torture. Approximately 2 years ago I started a very rigorous workout program in hopes of being an Aerobic Body Builder-as on TV, I was building my calf muscles and knew the hamstrings were getting a real good workout. I would walk up the wall and place the front of my foot against it and stretch my hams to avoid pain in the back of my legs as well as trying to prevent my sciatic from being pinched from my muscles pulling on my spine. Well a few days went by and I became more lax at stretching.... Then one day, I noticed pain in my heel. I thought I bruised my heel somehow and just blew it off, for about 3 months, because mothers have other things to address which are more important than us. It got worse. It got so bad I went to E.R. and begged for someone to please help-stop the pain. To make a long story short, I saw specialist, which I could never get into within 2 months, switched 3 doctors because they said he (they) would no longer give me cortisone injections because I had too many, I had 2 casts (which felt like heaven until they took them off), night splints, arch supports, insoles, special shoes, physical therapy, anti-inflammatory, ice bath, tens units, heat, and foot soaks.

I have decided to seek alternative methods...where these methods are, I don't know yet, but I am seeking out Acupuncture, Yoga, Massage Therapy, hypnosis and in addition if I can find a Laser procedure-something like what the quit smoking and weight loss laser treatment would be, I will do it. I am very reluctant to a doctor cutting open my foot, although I sometimes swear I'd do it myself.

All in all, I have gained about 10 pounds which I don't consider so bad, but my fat content has increased to 33% versus 21% prior to this ordeal. I'm not giving up and I'm trying so very very hard to remain optimistic for my son's sake and my own. I feel like I am missing out on some very fun times in my life, such as walking at the mall, going to Cedar Point, dancing, running, basically anything you can do on your feet.

I didn't intend for this piece to become a place for me to spill out my feelings or for this to be depressing, however, there are cures for Prostate cancer so why is there no cure for this?

I'm still optimistic and still going strong with will power. I know it will end someday and hopefully that someday will be before my 4 year old son graduates from high school.

I will post again; with every method I try to give someone else some hope.