Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Tarsal tunnel,heelspur removal Surgery on both feet-2 different outcomes

Posted by Linda on 7/11/02 at 07:20 (089461)

I had Tarsal tunnel release,fascia release,and heel spur removed from my right foot on December 14,2001. On March 29,2002, i had the exact same surgery on my left foot. My right foot is doing great. I am almost pain free. On a scale from 1-10 my pain level is about a 2. My left foot is doing horrible. I am still in physical therapy. I have pain shooting to my toes which is crippling. It isn't constant, but when it comes i can't do anything. I have brand new orthotics which i really like, but i am wondering if it is too soon to wear the one on my left foot. I have physical therapy twice a week,and the therapist tapes my foot after. It feels really good taped, but once the tape is off , it starts killing. Why do i have such different outcomes? I am now regretting getting my left foot done. My foot doc told me that it is just the nerves regenerating. He told me it could take a year for my left foot to recover. Has anyone else had this? thanks

Re: Tarsal tunnel,heelspur removal Surgery on both feet-2 different outcomes

kay on 7/11/02 at 14:56 (089481)

did you have the shooting pains in your first foot in the beginning? maybe the other foot is just taking longer to heal. i had surgery three weeks ago on my right foot and i get those shooting pains all the time. isn't it normal to have them?
kay

kay on 7/11/02 at 14:56 (089481)

did you have the shooting pains in your first foot in the beginning? maybe the other foot is just taking longer to heal. i had surgery three weeks ago on my right foot and i get those shooting pains all the time. isn't it normal to have them?
kay

jeane p on 2/19/04 at 12:18 (144707)

kay, i had tt surgey and plantar fascietis release 6 weeks ago.in the first three weeks or so i had many different sensations. i had intense shooting pains, a feelling of extreme coldness in my toes and pain in my heel. even now,i am unable to bear full weight on my heel and amd am still having intermittent pain in different areas at different times. the only predictable thing about this surgery is that it is unpredictable! i am a recovery room nurse and have spoken with several orthopods who have assured me this is normal and that healing can take 6 months to a year.i am back to work and am going back into my bledsoe boot for a few hours a day. i hope this helps and good luck.it will get better!

Kay on 2/19/04 at 12:52 (144711)

It's been nearly two years since my surgery. I had to take neurontin for nerve pain for a long time. I am now down to 200 mg of neurontin a day but I still have pain in my feet. I take Kadian (time released morphine) It does help some, the surgery help none. I had to go on disability from my job and I am only 48. I had not planned to stop working for another 20 years or so. I have returned to school and am taking business management. We bought a campground that I can run and do the mowing via a rider. Its something I can do with bad feet. Strange turns of events for us, two years ago I never imagined being a campground owner. lol
good luck with your recovery.
kay