Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Surgery on July 5

Posted by Selina G on 7/11/02 at 19:57 (089506)

I haven't posted that often prior to my surgery, but I stopped by very often to read the other posts.

Most of my problems are (hopefully were!) related to my congenital flat foot, that had no real cause that could be found, other than it was just flat! That of course lead to PF, which I managed to get under control, but the other foot pain/numbness was what finally did me in. They thought I had a tarsal coalition, but none showed on the CT scan. No post-tibial tendon problems either, just a flat left foot that was getting flatter, causing ankle instability and pain w/ambulation.

We tried pretty much everything...anti-inflammatories, cortisone injections, orthotics, 7 weeks in a walking cast (which just transferred my problems to my right foot), still no relief.

July 5 I finally had surgery performed at a local university hospital. I know that I had a medial calcaneal osteotomy, a medial cuneiform osteotomy w/a graft from the hip, an Achilles tendon lengthening, and I believe that there may have been one other osteotomy done at the heel area, but w/the Demerol pump flowing at the time, I can't remember exactly!

So, now I am stuck on crutches for at least 6 weeks, non-weightbearing, and then another 2-3 wks in a walking boot. I don't know if I have a high pain tolerance or what, because I quit taking my pain meds on July 8, and I haven't had any problems so far, and no major pain.

Y'all keep me in your thoughts!

Re: Surgery on July 5

kay f on 7/12/02 at 15:47 (089570)

good luck i know how miserable it can be on crutches. i get to start putting some pressure on my feet next tuesday. i am counting the days. i'll tell you what everyone here told me. follow the doc's orders. make sure you stay off them until he ok's it. patients i think here may bring the promise of success.
kay

Missy B on 7/13/02 at 08:50 (089601)

Selina,
Best of luck to you during your recovery. I know that 6 weeks on crutches is no fun, but just think ahead to Fall and Winter and Christmas time, when hopefully you will be walking around with no or minimal pain.
I developed a lot of patience while I was off with my surgery - and since my doctor told me possibly a whole year for total recovery - I am still being patient. I was off work nine weeks - I read lots of books, did some cross-stitching, and spent a lot of hours learning my new computer. Now I am 6 months post-op and doing well - about 85-90% improved over my pre-surgery pain. I just saw my doctor this week, and he is pleased with my progress - I don't go back to see him until October unless I have a problem. My goal is to be able to enjoy the Christmas season on my feet - shopping, carolling, and dancing.

So think positive, be patient and don't set a short time-table for getting better - just look ahead a few months to something special you may want to do, and then remind yourself as the days go by and you begin to see improvement (no matter how small), that you are getting closer to that time.

I will be thinking of you - please post again and let us know how you are progressing.

Missy B.

elliott on 7/15/02 at 07:22 (089653)

Hey, your surgery sounds very similar to what a doc said might be necessary for my pitiful right foot (diagnosis: raised first metatarsal, a condition associated with flat feet): medial calcaneal osteotomy, medial cuneiform osteotomy, advancement of posterior tibial tendon, and possible removal of accessory navicular. I've been real reluctant to consider that cause it just sounded to me like that would never work, especially since I found a first simpler surgery to have weakened my foot further. I've been prescribed an orthotic (another one) in a last-ditch effort to save that foot. So far, better than I exepected. Can I ask what orthotics you tried (brand name, any particular special features, etc.)?

You sound pretty good so far. Please post back as to your progress. Best wishes.

Joe B. on 7/15/02 at 11:10 (089678)

Hi Selina,
I'm very curious about your flat foot surgery!!! I too, am thinking about having the same type of surgery and always wanted to talk to someone who had it done. Could we swap email addresses, if you don't mind?? I have alot of questions to ask you. Thanks.

Selina G on 7/16/02 at 11:34 (089776)

Joe, you can e-mail me at (email removed) and I will answer any questions I can about the surgery I had.

Selina G on 7/16/02 at 11:39 (089778)

I tried the Spenco orthotics, and also I believe 2 pairs of custom orthotics. One of the custom pairs was soft and the other was very rigid and VERY uncomfortable. My feet had been so flat for so long that they just really did not want to adapt to any orthotics in my shoes. In fact, my New Balance shoes are uncomfortable because of the support built into them. Any arches built into my shoes are basically pounded into submission by my flat feet!

It has been 11 days since my surgery, now I'm in a short leg cast. They removed the splint yesterday and casted me. I will get my stitches (well, staples) out next Monday. I have 2 incisions in my foot w/a total of 19 staples there. Then there's another incision in my hip w/I think 8 staples there. The hip is actually more uncomfortable than the foot, since I usually sleep on my side.

The cast is much lighter than the splint which makes it easier to get around and easier to sleep as well. I have a very high tolerance for pain though, so I really don't know how painful this is to most people, but so far (knock on wood), I have not had any major pain since the day after the surgery, and even that was bearable w/the Percocet that they prescribed.

kay f on 7/12/02 at 15:47 (089570)

good luck i know how miserable it can be on crutches. i get to start putting some pressure on my feet next tuesday. i am counting the days. i'll tell you what everyone here told me. follow the doc's orders. make sure you stay off them until he ok's it. patients i think here may bring the promise of success.
kay

Missy B on 7/13/02 at 08:50 (089601)

Selina,
Best of luck to you during your recovery. I know that 6 weeks on crutches is no fun, but just think ahead to Fall and Winter and Christmas time, when hopefully you will be walking around with no or minimal pain.
I developed a lot of patience while I was off with my surgery - and since my doctor told me possibly a whole year for total recovery - I am still being patient. I was off work nine weeks - I read lots of books, did some cross-stitching, and spent a lot of hours learning my new computer. Now I am 6 months post-op and doing well - about 85-90% improved over my pre-surgery pain. I just saw my doctor this week, and he is pleased with my progress - I don't go back to see him until October unless I have a problem. My goal is to be able to enjoy the Christmas season on my feet - shopping, carolling, and dancing.

So think positive, be patient and don't set a short time-table for getting better - just look ahead a few months to something special you may want to do, and then remind yourself as the days go by and you begin to see improvement (no matter how small), that you are getting closer to that time.

I will be thinking of you - please post again and let us know how you are progressing.

Missy B.

elliott on 7/15/02 at 07:22 (089653)

Hey, your surgery sounds very similar to what a doc said might be necessary for my pitiful right foot (diagnosis: raised first metatarsal, a condition associated with flat feet): medial calcaneal osteotomy, medial cuneiform osteotomy, advancement of posterior tibial tendon, and possible removal of accessory navicular. I've been real reluctant to consider that cause it just sounded to me like that would never work, especially since I found a first simpler surgery to have weakened my foot further. I've been prescribed an orthotic (another one) in a last-ditch effort to save that foot. So far, better than I exepected. Can I ask what orthotics you tried (brand name, any particular special features, etc.)?

You sound pretty good so far. Please post back as to your progress. Best wishes.

Joe B. on 7/15/02 at 11:10 (089678)

Hi Selina,
I'm very curious about your flat foot surgery!!! I too, am thinking about having the same type of surgery and always wanted to talk to someone who had it done. Could we swap email addresses, if you don't mind?? I have alot of questions to ask you. Thanks.

Selina G on 7/16/02 at 11:34 (089776)

Joe, you can e-mail me at (email removed) and I will answer any questions I can about the surgery I had.

Selina G on 7/16/02 at 11:39 (089778)

I tried the Spenco orthotics, and also I believe 2 pairs of custom orthotics. One of the custom pairs was soft and the other was very rigid and VERY uncomfortable. My feet had been so flat for so long that they just really did not want to adapt to any orthotics in my shoes. In fact, my New Balance shoes are uncomfortable because of the support built into them. Any arches built into my shoes are basically pounded into submission by my flat feet!

It has been 11 days since my surgery, now I'm in a short leg cast. They removed the splint yesterday and casted me. I will get my stitches (well, staples) out next Monday. I have 2 incisions in my foot w/a total of 19 staples there. Then there's another incision in my hip w/I think 8 staples there. The hip is actually more uncomfortable than the foot, since I usually sleep on my side.

The cast is much lighter than the splint which makes it easier to get around and easier to sleep as well. I have a very high tolerance for pain though, so I really don't know how painful this is to most people, but so far (knock on wood), I have not had any major pain since the day after the surgery, and even that was bearable w/the Percocet that they prescribed.